Why Breath of the Wild Had to Have Breakable Weapons

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by Deboog, Mar 14, 2017.

Mar 14, 2017
  1. jpx86

Newcomer jpx86 Advanced Member

Should just be an option. Then you could play it the way you prefer.

2. Seliph

Member Seliph Scion of Light/Orphan

United States
    I think it would be cool if there was a weak version of every weapon but these weapons would be unbreakable. I.e a sword with 15 damage, a spear with ten, an axe with 20, a boomerang with 12 and a bow with 17. These weapons would be good for getting you started out and then later on in the game if you wanted a challenge you could use your unbreakable but weak weapons.
    Shields aren't included because infinite guardian beam parrying and an unbreakable snowboard is too op.

3. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    seriously you don't even need weapons in this just bows. i've been using bomb arrows for everything even beat the bosses with them!
    SPOILS!

4. Waywatcher

Newcomer Waywatcher Member

Sweden
    Cool post!

5. Nemix77

Member Nemix77 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Don't mind the breakable weapons either, I think it adds a layer of preparation and mechanics to the game before going into fights.

However I'm bummed there's not camera reset button, I find this more annoying than weapons breaking which I now just take in as a part of the game design.

Last edited by Nemix77, Mar 18, 2017
  6. Gadd

Member Gadd GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I was one of those who sharply criticized the breakable weapons/shields play mechanic. Now, after playing the game for about a week straight, I've come to realize that I couldn't have been more right. It really sucks!!!

s157 likes this.
  7. s157

Member s157 Grinder Extraordinaire

United States
    Couldn't get used to it to the point where it didn't bother you, eh? I still don't like it even now but my distaste has been mitigated by just throwing my weapons at the enemy whenever I see the breaking soon warning.

8. Gadd

United States
    It's a good protest. Legendary breakable scimitar tribal heirloom...kill two enemies and it's on the verge! so hurl the sword from your person with contempt! Hmph! Made in China for sure!!

9. zoogie

Member zoogie simple pimp tool

United States
    I've got about twenty slots full of weapons that are 40+ attack power - most of it 1st class guardian stuff. I always have a great stash of weapons despite them breaking all the time.
    Anybody who criticizes this system is just looking to find fault or afraid of change.

10. s157

United States
    If my weapon's gotta, go... it might as well go into their face. Via my throwing it. Even point blank when I could just attack with a melee. Throwing weapons brings me joy in itself, but throwing them point-blank like an idiot is oddly gratifying.

That's like saying anyone who doesn't like a certain type of food is trying to find fault in it or is afraid of change. Some people don't and will never like pizza. No need to insinuate negatives about their character. Nothing wrong with disliking the durability system here. Usually it doesn't stop them from enjoying the game.

11. Gadd

United States
    Well that guy that gave it 7/10 to lower the metacritic score was a little too low. He didn't deserve the harassment he got but I think he was out of line a bit. I see the game as a 10/10 even with the flaws (or 9/10 if you don't accept the premise that any game can ever be a 10). But 7/10 is low, I see 8/10 as the lowest score from an open world game fan who had some serious gripes with the game. obviously if you hate open worlds and zelda you could give it lower, but in that case, you shouldn't be reviewing the game, you should review a genre that you like better.

12. s157

United States
    It was likely his honest opinion. Apparently the flaws (in his opinion) drove the score to a 7/10, which, if you look at his criteria, is still good. Being displeased with it's combat (or as he would state it, disruption of combat) would be a good reason for a game's score to take a heavy blow. Even then, 97/100 is not good enough? Is being a 98 so you can stand with Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 really that important? Those reactions made it seem like he lowered the score to a 75.

I'm part of the group of people who think having a point system in reviews is a bad idea. Most people look at the number and don't even consider much of the review.

13. Gadd

United States
    I can go for that. what you need is, an expert reviewer on the genre, and if that precondition is met, the words are gonna mean a lot more to the reader than a score is! But sadly, we are an illiterate society these days. They say tablets, smartphones, internet, all works together to create a very short attention span in the younger generation.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Sorry dude. A medieval longsword, shortsword, a japanese katana, these are not "AMMO". Arrows are like ammo tho. SO NICE TRY SUCKER! You're DEBUNKED

14. slingblade1170

Member slingblade1170 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I don't see the breakable weapons as a problem at all. It just seems to work for Zelda and they aren't hard to come by at all. Also, since u can add inventory slots u never run out of weapons and i have never had less than 3 at a time even at the start of the game. I really enjoy that the combat system is quite a bit more advanced than the previous zeldas because in combat those games are extremely easy minus a few bosses. Some players dont like breakable weapons because they want to collect the coolest or best ones and thats still possible too by just building alot of weapon/shield mounts in ur home. I dont see the issue but thats just my opinion.

deishido likes this.
  15. Gadd

United States
    constant interruptions in combat - it really does break immersion and combat flow/rhythm. But nice try, this is gonna be the day that goes down in history where you ALMOST beat me in a game debate. But almost only counts in horseshoes!

16. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    there is click the shield button once to reset the cam behind link.

Nemix77 likes this.
  17. Baoulettes

Member Baoulettes Pew ! Pew ! Pew ! Lazer game

France
    no issue for my with Royal sword, I have like all my slot of royal spear, bow etc.
    also when a weapon break my reflex is to steal or pick the first things i can use as sword to finish my monster.
    Boss?
    I drop my weapon on ground before it make some kind of challenge to fast pick it and also make nice action as you might like ;)

18. slingblade1170

United States
    Almost beat you in a game debate? Lol OK I was just voicing my opinion in breakable weapons. Interruptions? Do you complain about reloading in an fps or the enemy's turn in a turn based RPG? Probably not. It's a mechanic in the game to make you plan an attack instead of just button mashing until you kill the enemy. You can hate it all you want but it's there, if they ever add an easy mode to Zelda then you can play your way.

19. Gadd

United States
    Once again, SWORDS DO NOT GET RELOADED! You might say "they do in this game." And THAT is precisely the problem. So Try again.

If button mashing is a solution for combat, then the combat system isn't very good. But that is actually FALSE for this game, button mashing will get you killed because there are enemies that don't go down fast enough, that can one hit kill ya, likewise there are mobs of enemies where button mashing a couple enemies won't finish the job as someone else is gonna tag ya. A lot of the enemies have shields and use them very well, so just slamming the attack button doesn't work. Clearly, your argument isn't even relevant to this game. Take your generic "button mashing" arguments somewhere else punk!

Last edited by Gadd, Mar 19, 2017
  20. slingblade1170

United States
    Of course swords don't get reloaded! That doesn't even make sense and isnt relevant to what we are talking about. Swords do break and dull after using them to kill giant monsters. Also, you act as if they break after 1 hit are you running around with a bunch of tree branches or something?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I didn't say it is a button mashing game I said it would be if you could use 1 weapon. For example if I had a 2 handed sword and it couldn't break it would be easy to just button mash and kill any regular enemy in the game. Lol you can argue with me all night but the weapons do break and that's not changing. Just don't play Zelda if it's a problem. Punk? Lol that made me laugh I almost liked your post for that.