Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I think it would be cool if there was a weak version of every weapon but these weapons would be unbreakable. I.e a sword with 15 damage, a spear with ten, an axe with 20, a boomerang with 12 and a bow with 17. These weapons would be good for getting you started out and then later on in the game if you wanted a challenge you could use your unbreakable but weak weapons.
Shields aren't included because infinite guardian beam parrying and an unbreakable snowboard is too op.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
seriously you don't even need weapons in this just bows. i've been using bomb arrows for everything even beat the bosses with them!
just farm meat to make $ than go to rito and beat the dungeon (it's easy) than you can get the eagle bow that shoots x3 arrows! when it breaks just make another one if you need diamonds in zora a guy will trade you a diamond for 10 luminous stones. you can buy a shit ton of bomb arrows in gerudo for 1800 and also more in seteno.

Nemix77

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Don't mind the breakable weapons either, I think it adds a layer of preparation and mechanics to the game before going into fights.

However I'm bummed there's not camera reset button, I find this more annoying than weapons breaking which I now just take in as a part of the game design.

Last edited by Nemix77,

Gadd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was one of those who sharply criticized the breakable weapons/shields play mechanic. Now, after playing the game for about a week straight, I've come to realize that I couldn't have been more right. It really sucks!!!

Reactions: s157

s157

Grinder Extraordinaire
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was one of those who sharply criticized the breakable weapons/shields play mechanic. Now, after playing the game for about a week straight, I've come to realize that I couldn't have been more right. It really sucks!!!

Couldn't get used to it to the point where it didn't bother you, eh? I still don't like it even now but my distaste has been mitigated by just throwing my weapons at the enemy whenever I see the breaking soon warning.

Gadd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a good protest. Legendary breakable scimitar tribal heirloom...kill two enemies and it's on the verge! so hurl the sword from your person with contempt! Hmph! Made in China for sure!!

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I've got about twenty slots full of weapons that are 40+ attack power - most of it 1st class guardian stuff. I always have a great stash of weapons despite them breaking all the time.
Anybody who criticizes this system is just looking to find fault or afraid of change.

s157

Grinder Extraordinaire
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a good protest. Legendary breakable scimitar tribal heirloom...kill two enemies and it's on the verge! so hurl the sword from your person with contempt! Hmph! Made in China for sure!!

If my weapon's gotta, go... it might as well go into their face. Via my throwing it. Even point blank when I could just attack with a melee. Throwing weapons brings me joy in itself, but throwing them point-blank like an idiot is oddly gratifying.

I've got about twenty slots full of weapons that are 40+ attack power - most of it 1st class guardian stuff. I always have a great stash of weapons despite them breaking all the time.
Anybody who criticizes this system is just looking to find fault or afraid of change.

That's like saying anyone who doesn't like a certain type of food is trying to find fault in it or is afraid of change. Some people don't and will never like pizza. No need to insinuate negatives about their character. Nothing wrong with disliking the durability system here. Usually it doesn't stop them from enjoying the game.

Gadd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that guy that gave it 7/10 to lower the metacritic score was a little too low. He didn't deserve the harassment he got but I think he was out of line a bit. I see the game as a 10/10 even with the flaws (or 9/10 if you don't accept the premise that any game can ever be a 10). But 7/10 is low, I see 8/10 as the lowest score from an open world game fan who had some serious gripes with the game. obviously if you hate open worlds and zelda you could give it lower, but in that case, you shouldn't be reviewing the game, you should review a genre that you like better.

s157

Grinder Extraordinaire
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was likely his honest opinion. Apparently the flaws (in his opinion) drove the score to a 7/10, which, if you look at his criteria, is still good. Being displeased with it's combat (or as he would state it, disruption of combat) would be a good reason for a game's score to take a heavy blow. Even then, 97/100 is not good enough? Is being a 98 so you can stand with Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 really that important? Those reactions made it seem like he lowered the score to a 75.

I'm part of the group of people who think having a point system in reviews is a bad idea. Most people look at the number and don't even consider much of the review.

Gadd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can go for that. what you need is, an expert reviewer on the genre, and if that precondition is met, the words are gonna mean a lot more to the reader than a score is! But sadly, we are an illiterate society these days. They say tablets, smartphones, internet, all works together to create a very short attention span in the younger generation.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Are people still pretending that weapon durability isn't basically exactly the same as ammo in literally any shooter game?

Like oh no the powerful weapons don't have infinite durability. Its like crying that the rocket launcher only gets 5 or 6 shots. The broadsword breaks after a few moblins for some people but is that really any different than wasting 2 or 3 clips of ammo taking out a handful of guys in some other game? And weapons are beyond plentiful after you get off the plateau, just like ammo crates littered around other game maps. You don't even have to melee a guy to take their guns, just sneak up while a bokoblin group is sleeping and loot their shit. If you need to fight, bombs are unlimited. If you can't fight, escape routes and alternate paths are plentiful. Hell, I found an unguarded area in the middle of a field with about a dozen broadswords and claymores just stuck in the ground, even with extra weapon slots I couldn't carry them all. Durability is a null factor when you look at your options as a whole and not as a singular path.

Meanwhile the durability of items you find completing challenges and exploring is signifigantly better than the items looted from bokoblins. The Frost Spear and a Knight's Claymore combo can get me through quite a few enemy camps on their own. Hell, even the silver lynels only broke two of my enchanted greatswords and a handful of old fashioned arrows, and they have the most health of anything in the game other than Ganon (who also wasn't terribly hard, I think I was overprepared farming enchanted weapons, guardian arrows and elixers)

Really, if you have to complain about anything, complain about
there not being a true endgame, yet again. Just once I'd like to explore hyrule without the threat of whomever looming over everyone. I want to see hyrule rebuild. I want to see what I accomplished make a difference in the world.
That's my complaint of the game.

Sorry dude. A medieval longsword, shortsword, a japanese katana, these are not "AMMO". Arrows are like ammo tho. SO NICE TRY SUCKER! You're DEBUNKED

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't see the breakable weapons as a problem at all. It just seems to work for Zelda and they aren't hard to come by at all. Also, since u can add inventory slots u never run out of weapons and i have never had less than 3 at a time even at the start of the game. I really enjoy that the combat system is quite a bit more advanced than the previous zeldas because in combat those games are extremely easy minus a few bosses. Some players dont like breakable weapons because they want to collect the coolest or best ones and thats still possible too by just building alot of weapon/shield mounts in ur home. I dont see the issue but thats just my opinion.

Reactions: deishido

Gadd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see the breakable weapons as a problem at all. It just seems to work for Zelda and they aren't hard to come by at all. Also, since u can add inventory slots u never run out of weapons and i have never had less than 3 at a time even at the start of the game. I really enjoy that the combat system is quite a bit more advanced than the previous zeldas because in combat those games are extremely easy minus a few bosses. Some players dont like breakable weapons because they want to collect the coolest or best ones and thats still possible too by just building alot of weapon/shield mounts in ur home. I dont see the issue but thats just my opinion.

constant interruptions in combat - it really does break immersion and combat flow/rhythm. But nice try, this is gonna be the day that goes down in history where you ALMOST beat me in a game debate. But almost only counts in horseshoes!

Baoulettes

The lonely man
Trophies
Website
www.baoulettes.fr
XP
Country
France
constant interruptions in combat - it really does break immersion and combat flow/rhythm. But nice try, this is gonna be the day that goes down in history where you ALMOST beat me in a game debate. But almost only counts in horseshoes!
no issue for my with Royal sword, I have like all my slot of royal spear, bow etc.
also when a weapon break my reflex is to steal or pick the first things i can use as sword to finish my monster.
Boss?
I drop my weapon on ground before it make some kind of challenge to fast pick it and also make nice action as you might like ;)

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
Almost beat you in a game debate? Lol OK I was just voicing my opinion in breakable weapons. Interruptions? Do you complain about reloading in an fps or the enemy's turn in a turn based RPG? Probably not. It's a mechanic in the game to make you plan an attack instead of just button mashing until you kill the enemy. You can hate it all you want but it's there, if they ever add an easy mode to Zelda then you can play your way.

Gadd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once again, SWORDS DO NOT GET RELOADED! You might say "they do in this game." And THAT is precisely the problem. So Try again.

If button mashing is a solution for combat, then the combat system isn't very good. But that is actually FALSE for this game, button mashing will get you killed because there are enemies that don't go down fast enough, that can one hit kill ya, likewise there are mobs of enemies where button mashing a couple enemies won't finish the job as someone else is gonna tag ya. A lot of the enemies have shields and use them very well, so just slamming the attack button doesn't work. Clearly, your argument isn't even relevant to this game. Take your generic "button mashing" arguments somewhere else punk!

Last edited by Gadd,

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
Once again, SWORDS DO NOT GET RELOADED! Try again.
Of course swords don't get reloaded! That doesn't even make sense and isnt relevant to what we are talking about. Swords do break and dull after using them to kill giant monsters. Also, you act as if they break after 1 hit are you running around with a bunch of tree branches or something?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Once again, SWORDS DO NOT GET RELOADED! You might say "they do in this game." And THAT is precisely the problem. So Try again.

If button mashing is a solution for combat, then the combat system isn't very good. But that is actually FALSE for this game, button mashing will get you killed because there are enemies that don't go down fast enough, that can one hit kill ya, likewise there are mobs of enemies where button mashing a couple enemies won't finish the job as someone else is gonna tag ya. A lot of the enemies have shields and use them very well, so just slamming the attack button doesn't work. Clearly, your argument isn't even relevant to this game. Take your generic "button mashing" arguments somewhere else punk!
I didn't say it is a button mashing game I said it would be if you could use 1 weapon. For example if I had a 2 handed sword and it couldn't break it would be easy to just button mash and kill any regular enemy in the game. Lol you can argue with me all night but the weapons do break and that's not changing. Just don't play Zelda if it's a problem. Punk? Lol that made me laugh I almost liked your post for that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Cool. I got Prime