GCN Why are sealed GameCube games (and some used ones) so expensive?

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My friend gave me his old GameCube since I threw my old one away when I got my Wii (turned out, my model didn't play GameCube games). I'm browsing Amazon and some of these prices are surprisingly high. Paper Mario, Zelda, Sunshine, and other AAA games go for $130-$160 sealed and $40-$50 used. Sure I can find some of the worse games that I loved as a kid for under $5 but even games like "Disney Extreme Skate Adventure" and Mario Party 5 go for $100 sealed. Are these games really that old to be worth twice their original price?

samcambolt270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont have the slightest clue why games that arent even rare or that old go for such absurd prices just because they're sealed. I would assume its just because people are stupid and think "Its sealed and 15 years old! obviously its worth a frickin' mint!". if you cant get a decent price, just get and hack a wii or a wiiu (or mod your gamecube) and play them, nobody's going to judge you (except the assholes, but ignore them).

Last edited by samcambolt270,
Reactions: Xzi
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
My friend gave me his old GameCube since I threw my old one away when I got my Wii (turned out, my model didn't play GameCube games). I'm browsing Amazon and some of these prices are surprisingly high. Paper Mario, Zelda, Sunshine, and other AAA games go for $130-$160 sealed and $40-$50 used. Sure I can find some of the worse games that I loved as a kid for under $5 but even games like "Disney Extreme Skate Adventure" and Mario Party 5 go for $100 sealed. Are these games really that old to be worth twice their original price?
It's been that way for a very long time now. The Retro gaming scene has everyone scrambling to snatch the good first party titles and resell them to collectors and the gamers willing to pay the prices.

skydancer93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been that way for a very long time now. The Retro gaming scene has everyone scrambling to snatch the good first party titles and resell them to collectors and the gamers willing to pay the prices.

Which is why I would rather pay the couple hundred up front to buy either a flash cart or an ODE. I'm getting so sick of these yuppies driving these used prices up even for common as dog shit games. When Super Mario 3 is going for $30 for just the cart, it's a real problem. All I want to do is play the games. I could care less about collecting.

Reactions: Xzi

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the new generation of mancave is not filled with books but with video games. Not many people kept their old stuff in good or working condition making them a rarity. Sealed becomes a collecters item, its not for use.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Offer and Demand for a bunch, Scalping for others, and Willing to Pay Big Money for what collectors and retro gamers want.
Rarity is another factor. Brand new sealed games are technically brand new, therefore, more valuable.
High prices on used games depends on a few factors. Most are from the first sentence in my post, overwhelmingly popular titles like Pokémon and Zelda will almost always cost a lot, because people are willing to pay for them.
Then we have the scalping phenomenon, mostly on rare and popular games like Xenoblade Chronicles. Even used, they're sold for a lot because they know people will buy them anyway.
There's also the exploit games waves, coming, raising the price to absurd levels, then the bubble pops out once it's no longer needed, for instance Cubic Ninja, and most Wii games when they were used back in the day.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good thing I kept my Gamecube collection in good condition over the years......really my dad just made us check them out like library books lol. Gotta thank him for that though, I still have a copy of Zelda Collection with all the inserts still because of him.

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good thing I kept my Gamecube collection in good condition over the years......really my dad just made us check them out like library books lol. Gotta thank him for that though, I still have a copy of Zelda Collection with all the inserts still because of him.

lol my dad did that with the NES, i still own it in good working condition

Reactions: Awesomeaustin316

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: There is some really odd DS games I liked but not sure others would like them lol