Gaming Who will be getting the axe in the new Smash games?

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So in the past I've posted and took part in topics about who we think will be in the new smash, and I think its still a legit question, I have a feeling there are a few newcomers as well as veterans that have yet to be announced.

Even still, the list probably wont be getting too much bigger at this point (at least out of the box, maybe DLC will allow for more characters in the future). But I'm starting to worry that characters with completely unique movesets from the past will not see the light of day on Smash 4. Case in point, Squirtle and Ivysaur and well as the Pokemon Trainer who accompanied them in the background (obviously not an actual fighter but still an asset of the game) are almost definitely not going to be in Smash 4, (again at least not upon release, let me just point out that anyone that I think may not be returning, I'm only talking about upon release, its possible we'll see them in time thanks to Nintendo finally getting a grasp of DLC). So in addition to those, I was wondering who do we think will be getting the axe? Who wont be returning from previous Smash games to this new one.

First, I will post all the characters from the past Smash games that have not yet been confirmed to be returning (aside from Squirtle and Ivysaur):

Mr. Game and Watch
MetaKnight
Falco
Snake
Ganondorf
Ice Climbers
Wolf
Ness
Lucas
Wario
R.O.B.
Captain Falcon
JigglyPuff
Dr. Mario
Young Link
Mewtwo
Roy
Pichu

Now I will list all the characters I would consider safe bets to return in Smash 4: Ice Climbers, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Ness, Ganondorf, and Mr. Game and Watch.

Now I will list all the characters that I think very obviously will not be returning in Smash 4 for what should be obvious reasons: Roy, Pichu, Young Link, Dr. Mario (though I think they should make him an alt costume for Mario, but I know they wont do that), Snake (I'd love for him to be there, but its pretty clear he wont be), one of the two Star Fox characters (I'd lean toward Wolf, but at the same time, it feels like Smash needs more villains to be represented in the games, so maybe it would actually be Falco)

Here are the characters that I think stand a very good chance of returning, but still I have doubts: MetaKnight, the other Star Fox character that isn't removed, Wario

Finally, the characters that I think really should not be removed, but have a bad feeling that they didn't make the cut: Lucas and especially R.O.B.

As for Mewtwo, I really think he is a wild card. I honestly don't know what to think about the possibility of him returning after being absent, fans wanted him, fans still want him, seems like he could be one of the last characters you could unlock or something, but it also seems equally likely that he isn't coming back again.

Now, the official roster as it stands now, if we're counting Mii Fighters as only 1 character despite the many different possible movesets they can have, sits at 33 characters.

If we look at Brawl and decide to distinguish alternate character forms as unique characters (Zelda, Samus, Pkmn Trainer), then Brawl sits with 39 characters.

Adding what I consider the safe bets brings the new roster to 39 characters as well. It would seem to me that of the 6 other characters that I am hoping to return but also have doubts about, maybe up to 4 of them would make it, so we'd find the roster at 43 if my hopes prevail. And thats only regarding veterans. There are still rumors and speculation that there are still a few newcomers to be announced. Maybe I'm overshooting this, but if I were to bet, I'd say upon release, the game will have a total of somewhere between 45 and 50 characters available to play as. But alas, I could be way off, which would be understandable, and I can still always hope that DLC will be a thing with this game and new characters (as well as stages) will be able to be added to the game retroactively, that would be the shiz!

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure Game and Watch was confirmed. Same with Toon Link.

Snake will definitely get the cut, it was kinda a one time deal I'm pretty sure. Plus seems kinda odd that they'd get Snake after getting snubbed of The Phantom Pain.

We'll probably get Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Roy get cut.

And Mewtwo. Fuck your stupid Melee bullshit.

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Almost positive Snake and Mewtwo got the axe, though since Mewtwo wasn't in Brawl I'm not sure it can be considered "getting the axe".

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
Mr. Game and Watch = All but confirmed with the pacman trailer.
MetaKnight = Too popular to not return.
Falco = Like MK, he's too popular to not return.
Snake = Cut. He didnt really fit in with the characters anyway.
Ganondorf = Obviously will be there.
Ice Climbers = They will return, well established character despite not being that popular.
Wolf = Cut. Noone likes him and he was a boring character.
Ness = 100% chance of returning. Series regular
Lucas = As much as i hate to admit it, pretty sure he will be cut. Was not a popular character (despite being my main) and even i didnt know who he was before brawl
Wario = Cut. Not popular enough
R.O.B.= Cut. Do i really need a reason? lol
Captain Falcon = 100% chance of returning. Too popular to not be included
JigglyPuff = Cut. Despite being a regular there are much better pokemon characters included now, noone will miss her.
Dr. Mario = Cut. We dont need two marios
Young Link = If you mean toon link then i thought he was already confirmed?
Mewtwo = Cut. Lucario is basically mewtwo anyway
Roy = Cut. Too many FE characters already
Pichu = Give me a break xD

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I'm wondering if Nintendo is planning on releasing DLC characters. Some sort of "Classic Fighters Pack" including Ness, Captain Falco, Mr. Game&Watch, Ice Climbers, etc. Maybe the odd DLC for additional Pokémon fighters...

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
Did alot of people play as Wario? I only feel he will be cut because in my entire history of playing brawl online, i never once saw a Wario player. His moveset was funny but not very practical or useful in a serious fight. I always felt that he was just one of those "bonus" characters that felt a bit tacked on. I would be more than happy to see him be an assist trophy but as a main character, im not sure i would miss him.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They already have Waluigi as a trophy. For Wario to comeback as a trophy and not as main would be a shame. Wario already has his moveset. They may change or make his attacks stronger, but I doubt he would be cut.

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure Game and Watch was confirmed. Same with Toon Link.

Snake will definitely get the cut, it was kinda a one time deal I'm pretty sure. Plus seems kinda odd that they'd get Snake after getting snubbed of The Phantom Pain.

We'll probably get Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Roy get cut.

And Mewtwo. Fuck your stupid Melee bullshit.

Game and Watch wasn't confirmed, but shown at the end of the Pac Man trailer. He's pretty much confirmed, but you can see all the confirmed characters here: http://www.smashbros.com/us/

And yes Toon Link is confirmed, never said he wasn't. I said Young Link from Melee wasn't confirmed, and of course he wont be.

Young Link = If you mean toon link then i thought he was already confirmed?

Seriously how are people not getting that this is Young Link, the Melee character, he's listed at the bottom with the other Melee characters that didn't return in Brawl. I know Toon Link is there people.

To those that say R.O.B. shouldn't return, I completely disagree. I love his unique fighting style and he was one of my main characters I constantly dominated with.

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
And yes Toon Link is confirmed, never said he wasn't. I said Young Link from Melee wasn't confirmed, and of course he wont be.

Seriously how are people not getting that this is Young Link, the Melee character, he's listed at the bottom with the other Melee characters that didn't return in Brawl. I know Toon Link is there people

My apologies. I just assumed that toon link was the natural progression of child link from melee. I dont see any reason for them to include 3 tho so yeah i would say he is pretty much cut. I really do still hope they get rid of jigglypuff, rest got nerfed so hard in brawl and it pretty much made her the pichu of brawl. If she were to return then she better get a significant buff.

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My apologies. I just assumed that toon link was the natural progression of child link from melee. I dont see any reason for them to include 3 tho so yeah i would say he is pretty much cut. I really do still hope they get rid of jigglypuff, rest got nerfed so hard in brawl and it pretty much made her the pichu of brawl. If she were to return then she better get a significant buff.

I don't see Jigglypuff ever being dropped, it's become synonymous with the Smash franchise, all 12 from the first game have, as not one of them has been dropped. But I do agree, fix rest and make it more powerful. The whole joke of jigglypuff is how ridiculous harmless it looks and how it can actually kick your freaking ass with the right move used at just the right time.

luney

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm willing to bet they allow characters to be scanned in like they do with the wiiu version of Pokemon Rumble.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Welp I'm off to best buy because I figured out how to shove another 14tb hard drive in this server 😂