Gaming Who is tired of the current 3D Mario?

Would you like a more open world with stages of the next mario game?

• Total voters

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it just me or has Mario stopped being satisfying since New Super Mario Bros. DS (save for the Galaxy games)?

I can't really speak for the 3D games, but as far as the 2D titles go, yeah, absolutely. Mario just can't really compete with the output of great platformers coming out of the indie scene, and Rayman's spanked Mario so thoroughly that it's a little embarassing.

This video represents the situation perfectly. Mario is Britta, Rayman is doing the spanking, and the Nintendo fanbase can only look on in horror and helplessness (Jeff and Pierce's daughter represent... casuals, I guess.)

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
What came to mind when I read OP was taking the open world idea a little bit farther and having one, single open world for Mario to explore. It's something that could be cool but it would have to be executed right. My first feeling when imagining it is that something's wrong, though. It's like somebody took Zelda and slapped Mario in there (Zelda being yet another princess for Mario to save, lol) and it wasn't quite a fit for a Mario game. There are Mario RPG games, though, and that might be a little better fit for something like this (although I'm not personally all that in to turn based RPG's myself)

Sort of a GTA open world with a Mario game could be really fun if they get the execution right but it sounds like a tough balance to pull off.

Reactions: calmwaters

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
What came to mind when I read OP was taking the open world idea a little bit farther and having one, single open world for Mario to explore. It's something that could be cool but it would have to be executed right. My first feeling when imagining it is that something's wrong, though. It's like somebody took Zelda and slapped Mario in there (Zelda being yet another princess for Mario to save, lol) and it wasn't quite a fit for a Mario game. There are Mario RPG games, though, and that might be a little better fit for something like this (although I'm not personally all that in to turn based RPG's myself)

Sort of a GTA open world with a Mario game could be really fun if they get the execution right but it sounds like a tough balance to pull off.

I think it could be executed really well as long as the game is still about platforming instead of a Zelda-like quest.

A personal idea that I'd love to see is the large, singular world, but there are areas that are locked until you achieve a certain goal, such as carrying a key to a gate or finding a switch. Hell, they could bring back Power Stars which are hidden around the area and the collection of them could unlock more areas of the overworld too. Bring back the more complicated moves of 3D Mario's past that need to be used to reach particular areas. And there can be themed locations like Forest, Beach, Sky Water that transition into the overworld as you search it. And no more "this level is suspended in sky even though the worlds is not because screw logic". Mario 64 had an excuse, each level was it's own 'world' so they could do whatever they wanted and there were technical limitations to deal with. Galaxy was set in space, so of course everything's suspended in the sky. But with 3D Land and 3D World, it's set up as if you're travelling across the landscape of the Mushroom/Sprixie Kingdom, and in almost every level the ground is inexplicably in orbit. With an open-world Mario they can just do the invisible-wall trick to stop people from travelling out of bounds, but keep details behind them so the world actually feels real.

Still retaining the goal of getting to Bowser's Castle and kicking his ass though. The core of a Mario game is to jump, run and beat the boss at the end and that shouldn't change.

UltraMew

GBATemp's Mew PRETENDING TO BE FOXI4 4 A DAY
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.reddit.com
XP
Country
United States
Guys, the point of Mario isn't to appeal to fans that are 23, but to appeal to 6-12 year olds. Gaming these days is not about the nostaligia freaks as much as the young 'uns, ya know. (Even with Call of Duty, 8 year old kids play it)

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Guys, the point of Mario isn't to appeal to fans that are 23, but to appeal to 6-12 year olds. Gaming these days is not about the nostaligia freaks as much as the young 'uns, ya know. (Even with Call of Duty, 8 year old kids play it)

And yet, a very large fanbase of nintendo are composed of those ''nostalgia freaks''.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

nowadays, this can be true for any franchise. look at Banjo Kazooie (not A Nintendo IP, but i am not comparing companies or consoles) for instance. Rare made Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts to appeal to kids over us older kids who played the n64 Banjo games. they changed the mechanics of the game so it was not a platformer anymore.
they even hinted at there not being another game after it just to rub it in our face that we will not be seeing a real platformer Banjo game ever.

Donkey Kong seems to be in the same boat. Nintendo seems to not want to go back to more open 3d worlds with no time limit, like DK64 had, thus we got another DKC game instead.(which will be a good game, but no DK64 sucessor)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Another Super Mario 64 type game and I'm good.
The problem with that sort of thing is the exact same problem why the Sonic fanbase isn't getting a Sonic Adventure 3 anytime soon. The respective audience liked the game so much that reaching the same heights is improbable and releasing anything below expectations would be a huge disappointment and a brand disaster. Sequels like this are always dangerous territory.

As much as I think this is the way to go and it would be great, Nintendo's unlikely to release a game like this anytime soon. They're going to stick to the NSMB and Pseudo-3D formulas for all they're worth for now.

UltraMew

Banned
Trophies
Website
www.reddit.com
XP
Country
United States
The problem with that sort of thing is the exact same problem why the Sonic fanbase isn't getting a good Sonic the Hedgehog 4 anytime soon. The respective audience liked the game so much that reaching the same heights is improbable and releasing anything below expectations would be a huge disappointment and a brand disaster. Sequels like this are always dangerous territory.

As much as I think this is the way to go and it would be great, Nintendo's unlikely to release a game like this anytime soon. They're going to stick to the NSMB and Pseudo-3D formulas for all they're worth for now.
Fixed

UltraMew

Banned
Trophies
Website
www.reddit.com
XP
Country
United States
>Implying Sonic the Hedgehog 4 was bad when it has a 72% Metacritic score
>Implying that Sonic Generations, a vastly superior game with a 77% score, doesn't exist

C'mon Mew, it ain't that bad. :D
They never got to Episode 3, it has too many Modern features, Ep. 2 isn't on Wii, Ep. 1 on Wii is a huge 1500 points, Sonic Gens is good, but it doesn't have much to do plot-wise with Sonic 2/3/4.

Edit: 5.4?

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, the point of Mario isn't to appeal to fans that are 23, but to appeal to 6-12 year olds.

I thought the point was to produce good games. Oh dear, I've been looking at it wrong the whole time.

Sonic Gens is good, but it doesn't have much to do plot-wise with Sonic 2/3/4.

So that's a plus?

Plot is to Sonic as the Black Death is to Medieval Europe.

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
The problem with that sort of thing is the exact same problem why the Sonic fanbase isn't getting a Sonic Adventure 3 anytime soon. The respective audience liked the game so much that reaching the same heights is improbable and releasing anything below expectations would be a huge disappointment and a brand disaster. Sequels like this are always dangerous territory.

I love Mario, I own 3D Land & 3D world along with a ton of others. I enjoyed all of them my post was based on a an open world Mario game as big and amazing as Super Mario 64. I would love to see a game very similar to it and I hope one day Nintendo is able to provide that experience to me again. Like you mentioned its very unlikely a true Mario 64 sequel is going to happen. As for Sega, I put 500+ hours in their Sonic Adventure 2 and a Sonic Adventure 3 that could live up to the previous versions would be awesome. The 2D/3D style platformers they use are an always win for both companies and the safest way to go and I respect that but again, I hope one day a sequel or something similar will be released.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
    Veho @ Veho: @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip. +2