Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Which PSP Should I Get?

Which PSPs are best for hacking?
Which type of memory cards can I use?
Do any of the PSPs have special features?
Why does everybody say the Street is a P.O.S.?

Hopefully these charts will answer your questions.

smbk00.png
2jfk8dy.png

To sum things up, here's my personal assessment of the choices.
    The oldest model, still works fine, but is somewhat limited and heavy.

• 2000 (Older)
    These are usually the most favored models for tinkerers as you can recover from bricking and explore more hacking options.

• 2000 (Later)
    A pretty standard choice for hacking and playing games, common to see around.

Almost the same as the later 2000 model, a common choice as well, pretty much all you find it stores now.

• Go (N1000)
    Smaller hands work with this model better than bigger ones, but some people like the small size, and the 16GB of built-in space is good.

• Street (E1000)
    Cheap piece of crap, avoid. Not only is it gimped even compared to the old 1000 model, but it's not built up to the same standards as the other models.

Changelog said:
1/5/2013 - Created, tweaked around to try to make it readable, updated with media go info.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
PSP Street Disc only? Nuh-uh.

Also since you specify M2 it may be an idea to specify Pro Duo too.

Maybe include removable battery as an option too.

Edit - Also sorry for not being as effusive as i should have been. This is a great piece of information...nice job!

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
PSP Street Disc only? Nuh-uh.
No Wifi, and there's no official way to transfer PSN stuff across systems.

I'll rename "Games" to "Official games" though, since the chart states all the models can be hacked anyways.

Also since you specify M2 it may be an idea to specify Pro Duo too.
Good point.

Maybe include removable battery as an option too.
Oh yeah, people complain about that (outside of pandora).

EDIT: Messed with the formatting to try to get my personal assessment list to not look like crap...

Reactions: StrayGuitarist

Chiejina

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Getting a PSP is like going to get a Gameboy advance... or a Nintendo ds. When there's a Vita or a 3DS that has backward compatibility. Just saying. Thats just my thought.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Getting a PSP is like going to get a Gameboy advance... or a Nintendo ds. When there's a Vita or a 3DS that has backward compatibility. Just saying. Thats just my thought.
The 3DS doesn't have backwards compatibility with the GBA, and while the Vita can run PSP homebrew, it's somewhat limited, and you need to be online and buy a certain game before the exploit comes out (because Sony pulls the hacked game in 24 hours now), people who get a Vita often have to wait 3+ weeks before they can even start.

Versus a PSP, which you can buy and hack within 2 minutes of taking it out of the package, period, no matter the model or firmware.

I can charge my 1000 from USB, it's an option in the 6.20 PRO menu (hold select at XMB), and I've tested it and seen it working.
Some PSP 1000 models can, but most seem to need a hardware mod in order to do it. Which ones can and can't hasn't been properly determined, I suppose nobody's bothered looking at the date codes and such because it's a minor note... and it's a relatively simple mod so a lot of the 1000s floating around used already had the mod done to them which makes it almost impossible to tell if it's a certain production date or whatever.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Except for the difference in price (well, not that game-breaking I give you that). :P And that are "limitations" unless you are really careful (which some people cannot seem to grasp. Trust me on this one and watch what kind of threads pop up every few days. You'll see what I mean LOL) or if you do not plan to hack the console.

PS: I propose that this be stickied :)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Media Go? (or whatever it's called these days)
Oh yeah, does that actually let you buy games through it though? As in, purchase them there and then link them to the connected PSP?

I used it for some crap like two years ago, then stopped caring and forgot about it.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh yeah, does that actually let you buy games through it though? As in, purchase them there and then link them to the connected PSP?

I used it for some crap like two years ago, then stopped caring and forgot about it.

It's what i used way back when, so i'd imagine it still works today. You can browse, buy and transfer games.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Good chart there, but as far as I know, despite not having a WiFi module, the E-1000 is entirely capable of playing downloaded games - the difference being that you buy them over MediaGo.

Lawl, nevermind, it was already mentioned. :P

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Technically you could also use the PS3 to transfer PSP PSN content over too.

Reactions: Foxi4

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I have the PSP-2001, and I'm not sure if it's a "newer" or "older" 2000 model, but it runs any homebrew and custom firmware I throw at it. Currently I'm on 6.60 PRO-C Fix4. Fix3 caused the flasher to brick PSPs, but Fix4 is safe. Luckily I had a PSP-1000 near by to unbrick mine with. That was a nightmare. But now I made a Pandora battery (soft) and a MMS to recover from things because the guy with the PSP-1000 is no longer living with me.

Boriar

Trophies
XP
Country
Really good chart Rydian.
That's was i looking for sometime ago. And i'm happy that with that chart in mind i got the correct one for me (PSPgo).

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Personally an early 2K model is most ideal to me its the middle ground between the hackability of the 1k and the slim-ness (?) of the 3k

although I found the 3k to be fine with its semi CFW just have to install it and run a loader if you lose all power to the unit

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice chart.
...Not positive, but I recall using a headset on the PSP 1000 with a socom game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay