Hacking Which flash cart?

kaks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi im sorry if asking these type of questions is not allowed. If so please remove the topic and excuse my ignorance
smile.gif

Im stuck between reading reviews everywhere on the different flash carts available and i cant choose one.

Basically i would like (~)full compatibility for nds, i dont really care for gba.
And also, being able to play movies(i.e. avi, rm).

Problem is i've read about m3 lite and g6 lite, and a lot of people are getting problems with compatibility.
DS-Xtreme is a choice, however there is no support for movie playback.

So my questions are:
1) Does the m3 lite(or g6 lite) support full speed compatibility for nds? Does it also depend on the card you use?
2) Is it really worth forgetting about movie playback and just go for the DS-Xtreme?
3) The "supercard", is it the same as m3? Or that just does the job, but no movie playback.
4) Is it worth the trouble of going through the process with moonshell?

See if i just go with nds compatibility, then i dont really care about the size of the cart. Since i can just plain simply, remove and add other nds on
smile.gif
Sorry for all the questions. If someone can help me in any way ill appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
kaks

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
A cheap option would be the EZFlash4Lite COMPACT.... Just throwing it in there as a suggestion to further confuse you.

GexX2

Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hi im sorry if asking these type of questions is not allowed. If so please remove the topic and excuse my ignorance
smile.gif

Im stuck between reading reviews everywhere on the different flash carts available and i cant choose one.

Basically i would like (~)full compatibility for nds, i dont really care for gba.
And also, being able to play movies(i.e. avi, rm).

Problem is i've read about m3 lite and g6 lite, and a lot of people are getting problems with compatibility.
DS-Xtreme is a choice, however there is no support for movie playback.

So my questions are:
1) Does the m3 lite(or g6 lite) support full speed compatibility for nds? Does it also depend on the card you use?
2) Is it really worth forgetting about movie playback and just go for the DS-Xtreme?
3) The "supercard", is it the same as m3? Or that just does the job, but no movie playback.
4) Moonshell; If i use this, to convert a southpark episode, or lost episode, the file size should be very small right? About 40mb?
5) Is it worth the trouble of going through the process with moonshell?

See if i just go with nds compatibility, then i dont really care about the size of the cart. Since i can just plain simply, remove and add other nds on
smile.gif
Sorry for all the questions. If someone can help me in any way ill appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
kaks
You may want the Supercard if GBA support isn't a biggie for you (although there are some fantastic GBA games out there :\) SuperCard has good support for NDS, not as high up there as M3 and G6, but its still up there. M3 and G6 support is great. The only game not supported atm to my knowledge is Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, which will eventually be fixed, as Supercard and the M3/G6 team are really fast at patches.

There are a few problem games with the Supercard, but no big titles come to mind, and its usually something minor like some choppy in-game video and yes, Supercard+M3 both have speed issues of varying degree depending on what kind of SD card you use, M3's being a tad less noticeable, but Supercard and M3 also have a big price gap...

And yeah, a 30 minute show is about 30-50 mbs. One episode of Bleach turns into 47 MBs with BatchDGP. If you are on the go alot, having videos on your DS is ok, but it doesn't make that big a deal otherwise, because they WILL look better on your computer scrren, Converting AVI's to DGP's can cause some minor pixelization between scenes that gets more noticable depending on how complex the scenes colors and detail is. Southpark wouldn't have much.

Also, just so you are aware, G6 is built in storage. 512mbs of it to be exact. If you want videos, you may want to go for something with more expandable memory. And DS-X + G6 isn't one of those. M3 and SuperCard are.

If GBA support becomes an issue, Supercard isn't what you want. M3 supports GBA fantastically, as does G6. Supercards GBA support is a little choppy. DS-X due to being a Slot 1 card, doesn't support GBA at all.

DS-X - $100-$125
M3 - $70-$90 +SD price
Supercard - $40-$60 +SD price
G6 - $90 - $120

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
You can play movies on any flashcart using Moonshell.
It's the best media player.
Built-in media players are either based on Moonshell itself, or not worth using.

If you consider yourself a noob, then definitely go for the DS-Xtreme.
It's the easiest-to-use one. Use the supplied USB cable to plug the DSXtreme and your computer (PC, mac, all systems are supported), drag & drop the game you want to play.

And I dare say the DS-Xtreme compatibility is at least as good as the M3 and G6 compatibility (only 1 non working game in each, few glitches in some games for each)
I'm not working for the DS-X team, not trying to sell anything either, but the fact is I own every single cart reviewed on GBAtemp, and the one I favor is by far the DS-Xtreme. I'm just trying to direct you to a solution that suits you most.

kaks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
to my understanding though, the m3 has a built in media player? That supports native playback of rm and avi right?
I'm just a bit worried about the speed playback and the compatibility basically.
Right now i'm not really going to use my ds to play movies. It's just a nice option to have there
smile.gif
, when traveling on a train and such.

Since im in the UK, best prices i've found for m3 lite with passcard3, are 70UK pounds, and the DS-Xtreme 75UK.

If i add another 20UK for 1gb micro-sd, it's pretty expensive. I'm just thinking if it's really worth it, i mean the DS-Xtreme, seems great, its just its missing the media player
smile.gif

EWIN 2 Mini-SD version seems as an option(half the price of m3) - still no movie player - compatibility in the gbatemp review says its better than others.
SuperCard Lite Rumble (even cheaper than the lite one - no gba though).

How long does it take for a conversion?

thanks again i appreciate it.

kaks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You can play movies on any flashcart using Moonshell.
It's the best media player.
Built-in media players are either based on Moonshell itself, or not worth using.

If you consider yourself a noob, then definitely go for the DS-Xtreme.
It's the easiest-to-use one. Use the supplied USB cable to plug the DSXtreme and your computer (PC, mac, all systems are supported), drag & drop the game you want to play.

And I dare say the DS-Xtreme compatibility is at least as good as the M3 and G6 compatibility (only 1 non working game in each, few glitches in some games for each)
I'm not working for the DS-X team, not trying to sell anything either, but the fact is I own every single cart reviewed on GBAtemp, and the one I favor is by far the DS-Xtreme. I'm just trying to direct you to a solution that suits you most.

ok just saw this after i posted. Well i am a newbie. To the DS scene. I've modded other consoles, not handhelds though. PSP is much simpler(but i hate sony and their stupid consoles ;p).

Ok, then, if i use moonshell to convert, an episode will take about 40-60 depending.
How much space do nds games take then? For example the usual mario games? i.e. mario kart? Is it the size i see on my computer?
If so then, if nds is about 30-40mb, and i have 4 on its ~160mb, and i have about ~350mb for videos. hmm.....im just thinking out loud now... but basically i can add 3 vids and 4 nds.

Going with any cheap solution, of a passcard and gba card combined, compatibility you say is not great?

thanks again

GexX2

Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
to my understanding though, the m3 has a built in media player? That supports native playback of rm and avi right?
I'm just a bit worried about the speed playback and the compatibility basically.
Right now i'm not really going to use my ds to play movies. It's just a nice option to have there
smile.gif
, when traveling on a train and such.

Since im in the UK, best prices i've found for m3 lite with passcard3, are 70UK pounds, and the DS-Xtreme 75UK.

If i add another 20UK for 1gb micro-sd, it's pretty expensive. I'm just thinking if it's really worth it, i mean the DS-Xtreme, seems great, its just its missing the media player
smile.gif

EWIN 2 Mini-SD version seems as an option(half the price of m3) - still no movie player - compatibility in the gbatemp review says its better than others.
SuperCard Lite Rumble (even cheaper than the lite one - no gba though).

How long does it take for a conversion?

thanks again i appreciate it.
M3's built in media player IS moonshell. Just chopped up a bit and spit back out and named MediaExtend. Moonshell works on DSX so, you can get your movies that way. And if you'd read my post, DS-X is fixed space. 512mbs, and doesn't accept SD's. And from what I've heard, EWIN carts have sporadic DS compatibility, I don't know if they work with Moonshell either as thier homebrew support is minimal.. :\ EZ4 is comparable to SuperCard. I'd say, get a Supercard or spend more and get an M3, as fixed space like G6 and DS-X doesn't take well to movies and music if you want a decent amount of games on your cart. NDS games average around 30-70 mbs. Some of them can take up ~150mbs.

kaks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok this are my final thoughts:

I've found these prices for the following:

1)1 x M3 Lite Pro, M3 MicroSD Lite Professional, with passcard 3 at GBP57.34
2)1 x SuperCard LITE (microSD) White Shell With Superkey GBP46.72
3) 1 x M3 Perfect mini-SD with Passcard 3 GBP 57

Seems i can get a SanDisk 2gb Mini-sd for 26GBP(1gb for 18GBP)
or a 1gb Micro-SD for 26GBP.

What do you guys think? What should i go for?

p.s the DS-Xtreme is at 78GBP

thanks a lot i appreciate it

kaks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
errr... sorry.. Costello. Does the build-in player require converting? Or does it just play rm, and avi files?
thanks

azndragonguy115

Trophies
Website
hai-san.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
the built in players usually are never worth it compared to the original moonshell

moonshell + batchdpg(best converting software so far) = best movie playback so far

if a flashcart supports moonshell, its pretty much already good for movie playback

the ds-extreme is a very good choice if you only want 512mb. There are sites which have moonshell movies and shows to download which has 200-300 mb movies.

just to let you know if you fast forward in a moonshell movie you will notice some pixelation.

kaks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
does it matter if i get a mini-sd version of either the supercard or the m3 lite?

seems mini-sd's are cheaper. I dont really know though if there are more advantages for a micro-sd. If you wouldnt mind telling me.

thanks

azndragonguy115

Trophies
Website
hai-san.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
supposely the supercard lite is alot faster then the minisd

i had a minsd and it work amazingly great except my dpg lag cause i got a hceap minisd card

i say the worst between the two is the size

minisd sticks out as much as a gba game

kaks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i think im going for the m3. Basically the way i see it, is if i get a supercard rumble which is cheaper than the normal supercard ill pay 38UK with shipping.
Otherwise the m3 is 56UK. Not much of a difference compared to the supercard lite(not rumble) its only a 10pound difference.

good idea?
smile.gif

and any normal micro-sd card
smile.gif

i mean the price difference is not that much. Only GBA game i play is Metal Slug Advance. Again makes me wonder even then if the 10pounds more is worth it.

Also i like animal crossing. With the M3 i hear you dont get any problems?

thanks and thanks and thanks again i appreciate the info

azndragonguy115

Trophies
Website
hai-san.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
both m3 and supercard played animal crossing fine for me

if i had a choice between an m3 pro and a supercard rumble
i think ill get the rumble since gba is not important

i liked my m3 cause it was skinnable but i nottice that the supercard load games a little faster.

and rumble a nice feature to have for 20 bucks less

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: you could say it fell out.