Which Flash Cart Should I Get?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Rydian, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Sleet

Sleet GBAtemp Fan

Jan 29, 2008
    United States
    Any wood-based cart updated after 2013 (or at least advertised working on 3DS FW 7.0) should do fine.
    Haven't tried Ace3ds+ but seems alright. I recommend personally: http://nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=507. It'll run anything you throw at it. And NO "timebomb". This is www.r4isdhc.com.cn and Wood-based carts like this don't have it.

2. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 25, 2015
    United States
    the 2017 in the name make me really suspicious, since every other r4 that i've seen with a year in it's name time bombs.

So here's my current understanding.

r4ids.cn is considered by Wood team to be an original card. Wood is designed for original r4 (or 1-1 clone) for acekard rpg, and for r4isd.cn. wood 1.6.2 is last official Wood. Their website still exists, but also has a wood 1.6.4? to my understanding this is their modified version of Wood WITH permission. it has no changelog but the websites say it's legit. so this car apparently has most advanced wood?
    r4i-sdhc.com are non wood, no time bomb. considered original by those here. a lil spendy.
    r4isdhc.com is clone, and most of them time bomb. lower quality parts as well most likely. trying to piggyback on r4i-sdhc. no wood.
    r4isdhc.com.cn uses fake (but working) wood 1.6.2. does not match any of the three official wood downloads. but no time bomb. decent build quality?
    ace3ds+ seems to use same firmware as above, but encrypted differently.
    do i understand right?

Last edited by Zaphod77, Mar 28, 2017
  3. Sleet

Sleet GBAtemp Fan

Jan 29, 2008
    United States
    1.64 is just an RTS stability update (and the feature could still use work). It's only available for R4i Gold because it's the only wood-based cart with RTS as far as I know.

I would not say r4isdhc.com has worse-quality parts. Its kernel does have trouble running at least one clean game (so you'll have to boot it with YSMenu)

R4isdhc.com.cn does use a reverse-engineered Wood, but is functionally identical to the original. Build quality is decent. It's not going to fall apart and require tape (like my DSTwo sadly)

I don't have experience with Ace3ds+ but if it's based on Wood it's probably not bad.

Another thing to consider: some homebrew need NitroFS-supported menu, Wood has this but R4i-sdhc.com and r4isdhc.com don't so they require you to first boot HBMenu.nds for these specific homebrew.

Last edited by Sleet, Mar 28, 2017
  4. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 25, 2015
    United States
    i ended up getting an Ace3ds+ cuz of shipping from inside the usa. it claims to be a spongebob squarepants game (chuckle)

seems to run ok.

you actually get a ludicrously oversized and useless usb microSD reader with the cart hidden inside. (chuckle)

a llittle fiddly to insert, though.

5. 777kidis777

777kidis777 Big Red

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    California
    SCDS2 still a good card for the 3ds or is there better? Looking for one that will also play GBA games, but don't know what will work on the 3ds.

EDIT: I know this is for DS, but the 3ds thread hasn't given me any insight.

6. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 25, 2015
    United States
    just use virtual console injection for GBA games on o3ds. :) 99.9% of them work fine. Unless you're a poor sap that's stuck on 11.3 with no a9lh.

those carts with special emulators using cart CPU draw too much battery power.

7. 777kidis777

777kidis777 Big Red

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    California
    I'm that poor sap. Could care less about life, got the new 3ds xl, so battery life ain't a problem.

8. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 25, 2015
    United States
    well 11.3 is now hackable. hopefully you did not update past that?

9. 777kidis777

777kidis777 Big Red

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    California
    LOL just did. But I'm not looking to CFW my 3ds, I'm just looking for something like the DSTWO since I'm almost at max capacity on my 3ds sd card. Plus, I have a list of DS games I need to complete.

Last edited by 777kidis777, Apr 12, 2017
  10. Most-Wanted

Most-Wanted 3D OLED TV'S /o/

Apr 2, 2017
    I'm looking for a non timebombed Ds flashcard for my n3DsXL , probably gonna buy three of them, for me,my sister and my neice , All these 3ds's have CFW and luma 7.0.1 so i only need the DS function. on
    http://www.nds-card.com/ there is r4iGold, r4iDual core,r4i-sdhc, r4i-3ds , Do i need to bother paying extra for the 3ds card or will the gold or dual core work just fine and if so, which one etc even though i have cfw, i just want plug and play, no extra steps since my neices will get confused.. unless the extra step is easyeir somehow.

11. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 25, 2015
    United States
    the r4isdhc.com cards all are nto to be trusted.
    the r4i-sdhc.com cards have no tiem bomb.

the highest quality is the r4ids.cn one which is a lil over 17$
    the cheapest one that's good quality there is the r4isdh.com.cn one which comes with wood.

12. AteThePrincess

AteThePrincess Member

Newcomer
    Oct 2, 2013
    United States
    Any advice for a NITRO CAPTURE owner trying to buy a DS Flashcard?

13. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    It's just a regular DS (aggressive flashcard blocking and retail/dev separation started with the DSi), so original R4 or r4ids.cn are two excellent choices :)

14. kajik

kajik Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2017
    Italy
    I'd advice against buying cards from r4i-sdhc.com as they appear to have timebombs just like r4isdhc.com ones, at least with the latest update.
    I recently tried a R4i-SDHC 3DS RTS with kernel v1.84b, and apparently the card will stop working on September 3rd, 2019.
    The card has been confirmed as genuine by r4i-sdhc's own online tool (http://r4i-sdhc.com/searchen.asp).
    I invite the owners of this card to do a fast check by moving the year in the system settings to 2020.

15. mariogamer

mariogamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 12, 2015
    Canada
    Was planning on buying a flashcard... First is it worth it? Since anyone will work even with an updated dsi (thank HaxxStation). Also I'm not interested in cheat. And wich one? I was planning to buy an ak2i since it was the most cheaper... but is it the greater choice? It must have a great compatibility, of course no time bomb. And it must be reliable.

I just saw @Sleet link and it look promising... Does it permit loading AP game?

Last edited by mariogamer, Jun 23, 2017
  16. Qnarkaren

Qnarkaren Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2017
    Malta
    I'm feeling nostalgic for the Nintendo DS, and I would love to play my old games in a way where I only need to carry one card, and be able to backup my saves in a simpler way. I will transfer my old saves using my Action Replay DSi with a micro SD slot. I'm looking for a flash card, and these are the requirements:
    1. 100% compatibility with all NDS games. I don't care about having 3DS compatibility.
    2. It has to work on the DSi.
    3. No time bomb.
    4. It has to be fairly reliable.

17. Ominous66521

Ominous66521 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    http://www.3ds-cart.com/en/r4i-gold/8-r4i-gold-3ds-for-3ds-dsi-dsl.html

This card or the dstwo

18. gesaugen

gesaugen Member

Newcomer
    Dec 16, 2014
    I've bought 2 DS lite and 1 DS. I'm noob too
    So I was checking this thread and decided to buy either:
    http://nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=507
    or
    http://nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=149

18$ is pretty much considering that I've paid 25$ for DS... second problem is that I would like to keep DS lites to play multiplayer and to sell DS. So do I need wifi-enabled card to be able to play games in mp? Also do I need 2 card to play mp games or is one full of games enough for two devices?
    in the end, why the gold is better than this other sdhc?

19. rayjay

rayjay GBAtemp Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Thinking of getting a new DSi flashcart as my old IEDGE has some freezing issues.
    Would this one be any good? http://nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=507
    I'm assuming the 3ds ones are DS compatible and that there's no need to worry about firmware?

20. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Okay, so I guess with the talk about ntr-boot and the like, I wouldn't mind getting some ideas for a cheapo cart to use for the job. But also, is there a good place that still sells the DStwo(plus)? Not for using the Gateway feature, since I already have a legit GW cart, but more because I have an OG DStwo that is failing, and the improved hardware in the plus version would be tempting. It'd be going into a DSi XL, anyway.