Which Flash Cart Should I Get?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Rydian, Apr 25, 2011.

Apr 25, 2011

Which Flash Cart Should I Get? by Rydian at 3:26 AM (312,368 Views / 26 Likes) 691 replies

1. helltoast

Newcomer helltoast Advanced Member

United States
    there's an old emulator called MarcaDS. it's the only one I know of and it's not very good.

I mean, the emulator itself is fantastic, but there's not much you can do without the DSTWO extra juice.

2. zzzxtreme

Newcomer zzzxtreme Newbie

Philippines
    thanks so much for the help. much appreciated. seems like Mame is not such as good idea after all. and there are mame games that requires CHD files, pretty much a hassle. I'll be happy to have NES and Sega Genesis emulators. is "r4i gold 3ds rts" the safest choice for that two emulators? ($17 at nds-card.com)

3. helltoast

United States
    yes, the $17 R4i Gold 3DS RTS is the one you want. but personally I'd shell out the money for a DSTWO. you're definitely gonna feel the difference when it comes to emulators.

4. zzzxtreme

Newcomer zzzxtreme Newbie

Philippines
    thanks ! i'll take your advice and go for the dstwo !

5. JHIP626

Newcomer JHIP626 Member

United States
    I keep reading that the dstwo while still the best option, lags on a good amount of gba games. I would think that since the ds actually plays GBA GAMES, that it wouldn't lag. that being said. is there a better option for lagless roms? do I need to buy a gba and a flashcart for that too?

thanks

6. helltoast

United States
    the DSTWO emulates GBA games, that's why they lag. it has nothing to do with the DS/L ability to natively run GBA games at neigh perfect compatibility. if you want to make use of that you'll need either a GBA flashcart or a GEP, a GBA Expansion Pack.

Krizz just released his GBA EverDrive but it'll cost you a bit more than, say, an EZ Flash IV. if you plan on using them exclusively on your DS/L though, you might wanna consider a GEP such as the EZ Flash 3 in 1 or the M3 if you can find one.

Last edited by helltoast, Sep 3, 2016
  7. JHIP626

Newcomer JHIP626 Member

United States
    The goal I am trying to achieve is having GB/GBC and GBA ROMs on my Ds and also play ds ROMs as well. So what do I need to do all of that? Im assuming 2 different cards. Sorry this is new to me.

8. helltoast

United States
    any flashcart will emulate GB and GBC and obliviously play DS. for GBA, it's like I said, either a cart like EverDrive or EZ Flash IV or a GEP like EZ Flash 3 in 1. the DSTWO GBA emulation is only useful for DSi in my opinion.

personally, I'd go with this flashcart and this GEP if you have an OG DS or a Lite. keep in mind the GEP can't be used on a GBA.

9. JHIP626

Newcomer JHIP626 Member

United States

Yea as long as it works good. Because its either that or use my phone as an emulator. And I really don't want to stick a ps3 controller in my pocket all the time.lol

10. JHIP626

Newcomer JHIP626 Member

United States
    What about the easy flash v. Will that work on both GBA and ds?

11. helltoast

United States
    of course. the EZ Flash V is a 'standalone' cart that doesn't need a slot 1 flashcart to boot. I recommended the GEP because it's cheaper and sits flush in a DSL, but you can get either.

12. el_ssbb_boy

Newcomer el_ssbb_boy Member

Spain
    I was wondering if you know about some sellers from aliexpress as flashcards don't appear when searching and they are just visible if you got a link.

13. DaRk_ViVi

Member DaRk_ViVi ...is everywhere!

Italy
    I'm going to build a GBMacro using a broken DSLite so I'm looking for a GBA Flashcard with a "lite" design in order to fit the GBA Slot properly and don't stick out.
    Which is the best one still available to buy?

14. valeasr123

Newcomer valeasr123 Member

Italy
    im intrested too

15. DaRk_ViVi

Member DaRk_ViVi ...is everywhere!

Italy
    In the end I bought an EZ Flash IV (standard, I was unable to find a Lite Deluxe to buy) and it's working great, even if it sticks out of the DS Lite slot. ;)

16. Zaphod77

Member Zaphod77 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Now that nintendo has apparently given up trying to block carts, and cfw unblocks them again, i'd liek some updated info.

Here's what i'm looking for in a ds flash cart
    1) 100% compatibility. this means every clean rom works. EVERY. NO EXCEPTIONS. Since there are no new ds games
    2) Same with dsi enhanced games. EVERYTHING MUST WORK
    3) no time bomb. very important.
    4) all homebrew works as well. (auto-DLDI patching)
    5) as cheap as possible.
    6) SDHC support
    7) CFW 3ds compatible without a separate CIA. if it does'nt work in a dsi or ow 3ds that's fine.
    8) Reliable. doesn't randomly freeze, lose saves, etc.

In the r4 department, i understand that r4i-sdhc.com doe snot hav etime bombs, and their website still exists.

r4isdhc.com website still exists, but their cards DO have time bombs, and are less reliable

r4ids.cn websiite no longer exists, but their cards are considered best of the "r4"?

dstwo is highly compatible, but drains battery fast on 3ds.

so what's the current info?

17. Kevinpuerta

Member Kevinpuerta GBAtemp Regular

United States
    An acecard 3ds is dirt cheap now and works on current firmware. They cost like $4 now.

18. Zaphod77

Member Zaphod77 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i'm not seeing any such product. i see acekard 2i, and i see websites claiming to have acekard 3, but they don't seem to actually exist.

AN remember it must be reliable, and must run ANY rom i can throw at it.

19. wormdood

Member wormdood pirate booty inspector

United States
    im fairly cretin this is the card he refers to
    here is the old link to its gbatemp review

20. Kevinpuerta

Member Kevinpuerta GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yes thats it