Hacking Which Flash Cart Should I Get?

Cerpeter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I confused slot-1 and slot-2 in my last post. So I use my DSLite to rip it onto a slot-2 cart, then copy it over to a slot-1 cart and then use that one on my DSiXL.
What's a decent slot-2 cart I should use? (sorry, that I mixed it up, I never really looked into this stuff)

jmckutchin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point, is there any reason I should consider a Acekard 2i for my new 3DS over an R4i 3DS? From what I've read, Acekard seems like it's not interested in updating their firmware anymore. I just need a basic card with good compatibility, not interested in tons of features.

Elxar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got a few questions, I used to have Acekard 2i but it got bricked somehow because its showing error messages every time I load it. I have a DSi (1.4.3U firmware). So now I'm planning to get a R4i Gold. So here are my questions.

1. Do I need to get the 3DS version of r4i? Since I'm planning to get a 3DS in the future. Or both of them will work for 3DS?

2. Since my DSi is currently on 1.4.3U would I have any problems updating the card or will the firmware let me play it on my DS? I remember having such issue that I needed a DS lite just to update the bootloader on my Acekard 2i.

3.Lastly is my current Acekard beyond fixing? I cant still play regular cards on my DS, the Acekard still boots but is having problems reading it. Already tried the card on a DS lite and still same result. I had the latest firmware of AKIO as far a I know last update was last month and the micro SD still works.

Hope you can enlighten me. Thanks.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
1 - Any you get from a shop now will likely be the 3DS version anyways, since they put out that model a while ago. The 3DS one still works on the DSi series just fine.

2 - If you can run the cart, you can update the cart. Period. The reason the original DS and Lite are often called for is that they CAN'T be updated (they do NOT have firmware updates that block carts), so they're always a safe bet to be able to upgrade a cart.
Shops may or may not update carts before they send them out, check the product page to see if they do (and if so, how far they're updated). In general you'll be safe, but it won't hurt to make sure.

3 - Might be a contact issue, it's common with the Ak2i.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/solving-acekard-contact-issues.231412/

Elxar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. Though I got some clarifications

2. The site says it runs on 1.41, see I got a DSi 1.4.3U it reads the Narnia boot loader. My question now is what DSi firmware will I be able to load a default R4i card?

3. tried the contact issue trick, it load the card but still an error but still not work, I'm gonna try getting a new firmware though maybe it will do the trick.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
2 - Which site? 1.4.4 is the latest DSi, shops you buy from should have their stock updated to that. If the shop you're looking at doesn't mention it (or a recent 3DS update like 4.3 or 4.4, since the 3DS has updated after the DSi), then you should buy from a different shop.

2 - What error?

Elxar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2. I was talking about the main site or r4i on the first post. Well guess I'll just bring my DSi and check if the cart would work before I buy it.

3. It says "an error has occured. Press and hold power button to turn system off. Please see nintendo DSI manual for help troubleshooting." already tried 2 DSi and 1 DS lite all same error. It loads the narnia logo and I got 1.9.0 AKIO. Though I think my Acekard is done for.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
2 - The site says DSi 1.4.4 in the news section, and I know that cart's been updated for it. Also if you're buying in a real shop, make sure it's r4ids.cn, there's TONS of R4 clones out there and most of them DO NOT have updates anymore.

3 - That's not an error from the Acekard. That's the error the DSi/3DS gives you when the cart has been blocked due to a firmware update. The DS Lite shouldn't give that error though, as it doesn't block flash carts like the DSi and 3DS do. AKAIO is not the firmware. AKAIO is the software used for game fixes. The actual firmware update (no cart names their cart's firmware since none of them are interchangeable anyways) comes in the form of an .NDS file, and you need to run it to apply it, simply putting it on the MicroSD will not work. This means you need to be able to run the cart to update it.

Elxar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2.I'll be ordering it from a trusted local online shop on my area or buy it on a real shop. Either way I memorized the look of the cart so it should be no problem. Thanks.
3. Yeah I know but it also does not work on a DS lite which I assume that the cart is completely broke. Thanks for clearing up the firmware and AKIO stuff. Live and learn.

Anyways thanks for the help, I'll just come back if I got more questions.

MikeTheDSiNoob

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi there. Brand new to the DSi Flashcart world. :) I was curious, I have a DSi with 1.4.4U and I wanted to get a flash cart for it. I ordered one from GameKool.com before I realized it was a scam site, so scratch that one. What is the best option not only for a flash cart but also where to purchase one? I was thinking of getting the R4i gold, but I hear there may be better ones out there? Any advise to a moron who wants to hack it up?

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there. Brand new to the DSi Flashcart world. :) I was curious, I have a DSi with 1.4.4U and I wanted to get a flash cart for it. I ordered one from GameKool.com before I realized it was a scam site, so scratch that one. What is the best option not only for a flash cart but also where to purchase one? I was thinking of getting the R4i gold, but I hear there may be better ones out there? Any advise to a moron who wants to hack it up?
If price is not an option Supercard DSTWO from nds-card.com

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

gloap

Trophies
XP
Country
I know I'm probably in the same boat as many others, but I may as well ask:

I'm about to get a 3DS XL (and update it to the latest firmware, of course) and want to choose between an R4i Gold 3DS and a Supercard DSTWO. I have a few questions.

1. Which of these carts support MicroSDHC? Is there any maximum capacities?
2. Which of these carts has a more active/easier homebrew gallery?
3. On each cart, when I play NDS ROMs, will the resolution cover the whole 3DS XL (as if I were using a retail cart) or will it just give me the smaller resolution of a regular NDS screen?
4. Is there any sort of chart/comparison between these carts to help me decide which to get?

And I would appreciate if there is anyone who knows any UK sellers (or international if they do somewhat fast delivery) for either of these carts. Legit ones, of course.

Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.