Hacking Which Flash Cart Should I Get?

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and would there be a down side to using a ds lite instead of a dsi or 3ds?
like how using a psp 1000 would cause a slow down in some newer games.
No, and some feel that the different resolution of the 3DS actually causes some loss of image quality due to scaling, compared to DS Lite and DSi/DSi XL.

DSi and 3DS run DS games/flashcarts in "DS mode", and no DS flashcarts that are currently supported can take advantage of any other hardware (Aside from using expansions in DS Lite/Phat Slot2).

pokemonkickbutt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and would there be a down side to using a ds lite instead of a dsi or 3ds?
like how using a psp 1000 would cause a slow down in some newer games.
No, and some feel that the different resolution of the 3DS actually causes some loss of image quality due to scaling, compared to DS Lite and DSi/DSi XL.

DSi and 3DS run DS games/flashcarts in "DS mode", and no DS flashcarts that are currently supported can take advantage of any other hardware (Aside from using expansions in DS Lite/Phat Slot2).
ahhh ok thanks you guys have been super helpful

http://www.dwtechz.com/r4i-gold-3ds-for-3ds-ds-dsl-dsi-dsi-xl-v144-p-16963.html also this is totally fine right?

klocktwon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have a question. I used to have a R4 with Wood, but my friend recently lost it. I have a DSLite and I have no intention of ever getting a 3DS (or upgrading from the DSLite). It seems like a lot of people want compatibility with 3DS/DSi/XL but I don't need to worry about that. I'm looking for a new card and I'm lost with all hte options. All I really care about is that it plays Pokemon Black/White 2 and can use larger SD cards (preferably 16gb as that's what I have lying around).

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
So I have a question. I used to have a R4 with Wood, but my friend recently lost it. I have a DSLite and I have no intention of ever getting a 3DS (or upgrading from the DSLite). It seems like a lot of people want compatibility with 3DS/DSi/XL but I don't need to worry about that. I'm looking for a new card and I'm lost with all hte options. All I really care about is that it plays Pokemon Black/White 2 and can use larger SD cards (preferably 16gb as that's what I have lying around).
You want something with SDHC support, and game updates.

Which means anything from the list with SDHC support.

klocktwon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You want something with SDHC support, and game updates.

Which means anything from the list with SDHC support.

I was looking at a R4-SDHC but that doesn't seem to have much support. So if I was to get a R4 Gold, does the actual model matter? There seems to be several options and I'm not sure which is the one to get. I'm trying to stay cheap as I don't need many features (I found the woodR4 I was using adequate.) Seems like most that are currently being upgraded and have SDHC are compatible with 3ds. I was hoping it'd be cheaper to just get a non-3DS one, but I guess not.

Here are several that I found. Are any of these good? I know the first dwtechz one is since it was posted above too, but what about the second?

http://gamespree.net...2&products_id=9
http://www.dwtechz.c...ds-p-16963.html
http://www.gamezway....ing_p18424.html
http://www.dwtechz.c...port-p-216.html

After searching around Gamespree and dwtechz (at least the first one) is legit. Does anyone know about shipping lengths. I'm leaning towards going with the Gamespree R4i Gold unless someone else has a better recomendation.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
"R4-SDHC" isn't on this list, so it's a "do not get". If it's not on this list, ignore it.
The only non-3DS cart on the list is the original R4, but it can't support SDHC. You can use DSi/3DS carts on the DS/Lite anyways, the only reason the original R4 model is up here is just in case people somehow think that $20 for the ability to play every DS game ever is a ripoff...

Pay attention to the home site of it, you want the one from R4iDS.CN. There are not different "models" of the R4. Instead, you have a lot of unrelated teams making flash carts and most of them are using the "R4" name without permission, because they're all from China and they don't give two shits about copyright/trademark law.

The first one is legit.
The second one is not, it's from a different site.
The third is legit.
The fourth is not, it doesn't even look the same (and of course it's from a different site).

Reactions: 1 person

Muradin007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there,

I have been looking into flash carts for some time and am still rough around the edges on which I should get for what I want. I may be kind of a weird case. I want to watch video on my DS lite. I don't have any other portable devices that can play video effectively so it has to be the DS lite. I looked at the i smart MM and it seems to have fairly promising features: http://www.ismartds.com/index.php/product/ismart-mm-card

Keep in mind that I am only interested in video playing capability. Is there a cart that allows for smoother, better video playing than this one? Is this cart I linked any good (I noticed it wasn't listed and as per the previous remark: if it aint listed, it aint good) ?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Hi there,

I have been looking into flash carts for some time and am still rough around the edges on which I should get for what I want. I may be kind of a weird case. I want to watch video on my DS lite. I don't have any other portable devices that can play video effectively so it has to be the DS lite. I looked at the i smart MM and it seems to have fairly promising features: http://www.ismartds..../ismart-mm-card

Keep in mind that I am only interested in video playing capability. Is there a cart that allows for smoother, better video playing than this one? Is this cart I linked any good (I noticed it wasn't listed and as per the previous remark: if it aint listed, it aint good) ?
The DSTwo is like, the super version of the iSmart. ~

EDIT: Oh, right, the premium and MM were different models.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
the ismart premium was an OEM of the ez flash vi. the ismart MM is an OEM of the iplayer. the iplayer is basically the precursor to the ds2, both manufactured by supercard. in fact, supercard wrote the menu and supported the ismart mm. which means the iplayer could have done everything the ismart mm did. =P

ismartds' entire business model was to get someone else to do all the work and then they collected the profits. there was most probably some type of split profit sharing going on.

-another world

Muradin007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard that the dstwo gets fairly poor battery life in comparison to the other carts, has this affected the dslite just as much?

also...from your comments on the ismart...are you saying i should abandon it and get a dstwo? will it play video the best?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I've heard that the dstwo gets fairly poor battery life in comparison to the other carts, has this affected the dslite just as much?
Battery life may also be a concern, as different flash carts have a differing impact on battery drain rates.
This thread has more information, with various carts tested.

also...from your comments on the ismart...are you saying i should abandon it and get a dstwo? will it play video the best?
Yes and yes.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
From the first form above, it seems that the function of R4i Gold and Acekard 2i are nearly the same. Then I was wondering which is better...
At this point in time, I would suggest the R4i Gold because the Acekard 2i is still behind on one update and lately they have been slower on updates.

Cerpeter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
I want to buy a flash cart to play a fan translation on my DSiXL. So, basically, I want to be able to rip my original game, patch it (I guess on a PC) and then play it on a DSiXL (which probably has the newest firmware). Will I be fine with an Acekard 2i? I don't care for compatibility with the 3DS.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
I want to buy a flash cart to play a fan translation on my DSiXL. So, basically, I want to be able to rip my original game, patch it (I guess on a PC) and then play it on a DSiXL (which probably has the newest firmware). Will I be fine with an Acekard 2i? I don't care for compatibility with the 3DS.
if you are going to rip your own DS games i think you will need a DS phat or DS Lite and both a slot-1 and slot-2 flash cart not just one flashcart.

Cerpeter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, crap. Didn't think about that the game obviously has to go somewhere, too. I have a DSlite lying around, but I wouldn't want to play on it.
So, basically I would need to rip it onto a slot-1 cart, then copy it on a slot-2 cart and use that one to play on the DSiXL?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs