OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah the lack of contact issues is one reason it was on there, but the alternative to the Ak2i in the same price range doesn't have the contact issues either, and the DS/Lite are on the way out of production so DSi/3DS compatibility is pretty important.

The R4, being only $5 on some sites, slips in through the cracks as always thanks to Wood.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Rydian, I'm not sure if anyone has done a battery life comparison chart but I'm gathering data for one using:
Stock 3DS
3DS + Nyko Power Pak Plus
DSi XL
DS Lite

And I'm going to be getting a 3DS XL in august also, but I am going to be testing these carts under minimum brightness and maximum brightness using Snailface's homebrew DS Battery Timer homebrew. I hope to provide essentially a companion battery life chart for your "Which Flashcart Should I Get?" chart. I decided to start gathering the information because DStwo KILLS battery life on DS Lite compared to the carts I've used for testing that don't have onboard processor (CPU? Co-processor? something like that), and there seemed to be a variation between AK2i & DSTT's maximum battery life results also.
If anyone wants to help, by providing their own battery life tests (for the flashcarts featured on the chart in the first post here) PM me for now. Once I have enough basic data, I can include data from other people to provide a rounder average (and my 3DS's and DSi XL are not brand-new, so they may not reflect maximum battery life.

If someone has done this before and I missed it, let me know, so I can add already recorded info.
(I know there was some comparison data on the DStwo GBAtemp review, but I want to include more data than that.)

edit: Found Cannonfoddr's thread, I've already PM'd him about it.

tranfeer

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
How to decide your r4i gold 3ds bought now is a genuine one or not?
1.Be sure the website on the sticker of your card is www.r4ids.cn
2.Running WOOD R4 for it and click start and help, you should get the image listed below.
Please pay attention to "HW:R4i Gold 3DSb".
r4igoldver.JPG

3.Pay attention to the PCB inside the shell of your card and compare it to the picture below.
Please pay attention to the elements marked with the yellow rectangle.
r4igold3ds.jpg

darkjedi187

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm a bit trouble by the lack of an update for my Acekard and have been thinking about a new card. Whats the best out there. I know supercard goes GBA emulation, but I'm not sure if that makes the price worth it.

TudorBlue

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Right Ive bought my little girl a DS, its just a plain run of the mill ds, not a dsi or anything. Ive flash card I ve is a TTDS. Ive installed the latest firmware V1.18 but a lot of the games, especially the newer ones wont work. I reckon I might need a new flashcard, sooo which one would you guys advise me to get? I want one that will play all newer/latest roms. Thanks in advance guys, any help with this will be very much appreciated

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Right Ive bought my little girl a DS, its just a plain run of the mill ds, not a dsi or anything. Ive flash card I ve is a TTDS. Ive installed the latest firmware V1.18 but a lot of the games, especially the newer ones wont work. I reckon I might need a new flashcard, sooo which one would you guys advise me to get? I want one that will play all newer/latest roms. Thanks in advance guys, any help with this will be very much appreciated
You can actually use the current one with a different software. You can try Wood, but if that doesn't work RGF's updates should work.

Anyways if you want a new cart any of the ones in the list would work, just remember that the origina R4 can't use cards bigger than 2GB.

Reactions: 1 person

TudorBlue

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You can actually use the current one with a different software. You can try Wood, but if that doesn't work RGF's updates should work.

Anyways if you want a new cart any of the ones in the list would work, just remember that the origina R4 can't use cards bigger than 2GB.

Going to try it now. Thanks Rydian, If these dont work then I will look at buying a new flash card. Can you recommend specific one?

millmo

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all,

Sorry to ask this question but I am at a loss of what to do or look for,

I have purchased a dsi xl for my grand-daughter, which is running on the 1.4.4e,

I myself have a dsi which is running 1.4e, I use the dstti card in mine which is working fine but not work in the dsi xl & through searching the net it will never work,

So I am trying to find out which card will work best for the dsi xl and which site is best to get it from or would I be better off just selling the dsi xl and get her a dsi instead, I got her the dsi xl because of the bigger screen thought it would be better for her,

Any help would be really appreciated

Many thanks
Jay

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
I've linked you to a good budget card and a great site to purchase from http://www.zhuzhuchina.com/store/dsi_r4i_gold_slot-1_flashcard_type_d__www_r4ids_cn__3ds_1_4_4_compatible_wood_3ds.html

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The DSi XL and DSi have the same firmware updates, so a new DSi model would have the same sort of flash cart blocks. All of the carts listed as working with the DSi on the front page will work with the DSi XL right now, just make sure the shop you get it from updates the cart before sending it out.

millmo

Trophies
XP
Country
The DSi XL and DSi have the same firmware updates, so a new DSi model would have the same sort of flash cart blocks. All of the carts listed as working with the DSi on the front page will work with the DSi XL right now, just make sure the shop you get it from updates the cart before sending it out.

Many thanks for your help, will take a look at some sites now,
Jay

tranfeer

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Right now, wich card is the best (no trouble) to buy ?
Thanks.

If you just want to play ds roms on your NDSi or 3DS, please go for r4i gold 3ds released by www.r4ids.cn( or R4iDSN 3DS by www.r4idsn.com, they are from the same team). If you want more features such as RTS, please pay more for DSTwo. Besides, both of them can release the updating patch for the latest system firmware within several hours and both of them can update the kernel regularly.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
So does r4i gold use both wood and kernel? would it be easy to switch one with the other?
"Kernel" is a word that refers to a specific category of software. Wood is considered the kernel.

If you're referring to the base R4i Gold software (the non-wood stuff), yes it can be changed to if needed, but Wood works for almost everything anyways.

pokemonkickbutt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So does r4i gold use both wood and kernel? would it be easy to switch one with the other?
"Kernel" is a word that refers to a specific category of software. Wood is considered the kernel.

If you're referring to the base R4i Gold software (the non-wood stuff), yes it can be changed to if needed, but Wood works for almost everything anyways.
ahhh ok so its fine to buy r4i gold for the 3ds and still use it on the dsi right? also what's r4i gold revolution?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
ahhh ok so its fine to buy r4i gold for the 3ds and still use it on the dsi right?
Yes, flash carts for the 3DS still work on the DSi and DS/Lite.

also what's r4i gold revolution?
A different product that you don't want.

There is no more "R4" team, they disbanded years ago. All the "R4" products you see now are unofficial ones and rarely related to each other.

pokemonkickbutt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ahhh ok so its fine to buy r4i gold for the 3ds and still use it on the dsi right?
Yes, flash carts for the 3DS still work on the DSi and DS/Lite.

also what's r4i gold revolution?
A different product that you don't want.

There is no more "R4" team, they disbanded years ago. All the "R4" products you see now are unofficial ones and rarely related to each other.
ohhh now i get why they use clone, so its not a bad thing if they are a clone alright
and would there be a down side to using a ds lite instead of a dsi or 3ds?
like how using a psp 1000 would cause a slow down in some newer games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I cant tell what my favorite N64 game is