Hacking Where to get a firmware 4.5 or below 3DS XL?

phoenix22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might be able to find a 3ds with low firmware in some areas, but if you live in a populated area, they'll be really hard to find. If you are looking for a fast way to find a 3ds with 4.5 firmware to use for the gateway 3ds, there is one selling on ebay here.

<snip>

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Guys, this has nothing to do with XL but maybe it will help if you are just searching for a "new" 3DS on 4.5 or below.

Nintendo is selling refurbished 3DS consoles and also they are a little out of date. Mine just arrived and it has the 3.0 firmware.

sero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just sold my 3ds with a couple games for $175, and picked up an XL today. 4.3 firmware. Felt bad upgrading it, but I don't play handhelds much and normally stick with maybe one or two games, so the Gateway isn't really made for me. Got one of the blue ones in Kentucky if that helps anyone nearby looking for one.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I just got a 3DS XL with 4.2.0-9U. Can anyone tell me why this is a good version / what I can do with it.
The Gateway flashcard works on firmwares up to 4.5, meaning you can use it on your 3DS. Also, firmwares up to 4.5 have an exploit that may allow custom firmware (our member smealum is working on it, for one), homebrew, etc. That exploit doesn't work on firmwares above 4.5.

lozislove

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My 4.1.0-8E 3DS XL came today in the post. :) I had to ask a lot on eBay to find one though. Most people have had updated theirs to the latest firmware. Can't afford a Gateway 3DS now due to getting it but that can wait. :)

What would be the best game to update it with? I have Luigi's Mansion 2, that good to update it with?

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Gateway flashcard works on firmwares up to 4.5, meaning you can use it on your 3DS. Also, firmwares up to 4.5 have an exploit that may allow custom firmware (our member smealum is working on it, for one), homebrew, etc. That exploit doesn't work on firmwares above 4.5.

Just FYI, the Gateway only works on firmwares between 4.1-4.5. So anything below 4.1 will not work.

sero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My 4.1.0-8E 3DS XL came today in the post. :) I had to ask a lot on eBay to find one though. Most people have had updated theirs to the latest firmware. Can't afford a Gateway 3DS now due to getting it but that can wait. :)

What would be the best game to update it with? I have Luigi's Mansion 2, that good to update it with?

No need. From what I understand, the Gateway comes with two cards. One is an R4 style card that upgrades your 3DS to the exact version (4.5) that it needs to run. The other card you use afterward, and it runs the games. No need to go out and buy a specifically 4.5 game.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No need. From what I understand, the Gateway comes with two cards. One is an R4 style card that upgrades your 3DS to the exact version (4.5) that it needs to run. The other card you use afterward, and it runs the games. No need to go out and buy a specifically 4.5 game.

Actually that is not correct...the DS card is just a standard R4 knockoff that does nothing to your 3DS firmware. If you are on 4.1 or up you can use the gateway launcher and then use the RED card with a 4.5 game to update....its not particularly recommended but people here and elsewhere have said they have done it without issue. The main concnern would be you have a bad gateway card and it freezes during the update which would make your 3DS a nice brick.

Luigi is 4.5 and so are a handful of other games that came out around May-June......the games with newer firmware (like 4.5 and beyond) will actually warn you that you are going to be updated to firmware ver X.XX so just make sure you are not getting 5.1.....also you can check the 3DS scene release list and that tells you what firmware each game from each territory contains.

Wiki'd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Actually that is not correct...the DS card is just a standard R4 knockoff that does nothing to your 3DS firmware. If you are on 4.1 or up you can use the gateway launcher and then use the RED card with a 4.5 game to update....its not particularly recommended but people here and elsewhere have said they have done it without issue. The main concnern would be you have a bad gateway card and it freezes during the update which would make your 3DS a nice brick.

Luigi is 4.5 and so are a handful of other games that came out around May-June......the games with newer firmware (like 4.5 and beyond) will actually warn you that you are going to be updated to firmware ver X.XX so just make sure you are not getting 5.1.....also you can check the 3DS scene release list and that tells you what firmware each game from each territory contains.

You are right, there's no need for an actual game with 4.5 to update to that firmware; a ROM with 4.5 update would do the job just fine.

However, for any ROM to give the update notification, the loader.dat inside the SD must be the first version, which does require the extremely difficult task of doing a Google search to find. :mellow:

sero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks for clearing that up! But from what you are saying, it seems that the poster won't have to go and seek out a physical copy of a 4.5 game, but can instead use a ROM, so that's good.

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder what version the new Zelda 3DS XL special edition will have? Probably something a lot more recent than 4.5. Oh well, I think it will be the version I get.

It does not bother me too much as the primary use of the Gateway right now seems to be nothing more than piracy. Still, since the new special edition is rumored to come with nothing more than a digital download of Link Between Worlds and given Nintendo's current terrible estore policy, I wouldn't mind the ability to play backups.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder what version the new Zelda 3DS XL special edition will have? Probably something a lot more recent than 4.5. Oh well, I think it will be the version I get.

It does not bother me too much as the primary use of the Gateway right now seems to be nothing more than piracy. Still, since the new special edition is rumored to come with nothing more than a digital download of Link Between Worlds and given Nintendo's current terrible estore policy, I wouldn't mind the ability to play backups.

Oh yeah it will be 5.1 or maybe even 6.1 for sure....the new Black XL and Pokemon SE units are both 5.1......if you really want a 4.x unit then get a blue/black or red/black XL and check the box copyright date for 2012....there are still plenty of them to be had....plus with the Gateway 2.0 update we will get the emunand which is a huge feature, ability to play and backup retail games, and maybe multi-rom (if not 2.0 then on the next update for sure), add that the region free and Gateway is getting to be more than just a 'pirate' device all the time. If the Zelda XL is as lame as the WiiU or Zelda 3SD bundle it ain't gonna be much other than a black unit with some decal lines on it....honestly some of Nintendo's designs on the SE units has been pretty weak lately.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte