Hacking Where to begin? SNES, NES & GB on DS

GruntUltra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello GBATEMP guys!
I am interested in getting a DS (not sure if I should get a DS, DS Lite or DSi) to play my favorite old NES, SNES and GB/GBA games on. It's main purpose is to play games, although a media player would be nice too. I don't need it to go online, take pictures, call my wife, or make toast - I just want to play those fantastic Nintendo games I grew up with from the 80s & 90s wherever I go.
I'm asking for your help on a few things:
1st- Am I in the right place for this sort of help?
2nd- Which DS model would best suit my needs?
3rd- Which Flashcart & accessories can get me going in the right direction with the least amount of hacking?

I do have experience with emulators and hardware mods (I repair pc's & laptops all the time, and converted a broken NES into a PC with lots of emulators - see pics). But I don't know much about consoles or handhelds. Thank you for any help!
NES2.jpg NES1.jpg

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A DSTwo flashcard would be your best option for playing SNES and GBA games on a DS. Any flashcard will let you play NES and GB games fine.
e: Actually if you get an original DS or a DS lite, you can also get a GBA flashcard to play GBA games properly without emulation, which would be better than on a DSTwo.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
i have a ds lite, dstwo and a ez iv

if you don't bother about the gba cart comming out of the ds, ds lite is the best choice..
don't get a dsi... a dsi doesn't play gba cartridges...

both gba and DS flashcarts got a emulator specific for them
for gba flashcart there is pocketnes (nes), and goomba (gb\c) emulators
for ds flashcart there is gameyob (gb/c games) nesDS, SnemulDS and others...

a dstwo flashcart got its cpu inside and there is homebrew designed for dstwo... like a gba and snes emulator...

but the dstwo is priced at 50~ dollars range (more or less, maybe you are lucky and get one for 30) but its out of production (therefore out of stock almost everywhere)
so, a r4i (from r4ids.cn) will go as just fine...

do not trust cards that say dual core or etc.. they are misleading, and false advertising...

for a gba flashcart, i reccomend a ez iv... because it has is own sd card that you can easily put stuff on it...
the ez 3in1 doesn't stick out of the ds lite, but you will have to use a program inside the ds to manage the memory on it.. (that is also kinda short)

Xexyz

GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would recommend the Supercard DSTwo.
Once you find a flashcard, use these emulators.
  • GameYob - A Gameboy/Color emulator for regular flashcards (R4, Acekard, also the Supercard DSTWO, etc.)
  • SneMulDS - SNES emulator for regular flashcards (R4, Acekard, also the Supercard DSTWO, etc.)
  • NesDS - A NES emulator for regular flashcards (R4, Acekard, also the Supercard DSTWO, etc.)
  • CATSFC - A special SNES emulator only for the Supercard DSTwo
  • TempGBA - A special GBA emulator only for the Supercard DSTwo

Last edited by Xexyz,
Reactions: migles

Beat_

Trophies
XP
Country
I just got an R4 and an EZFlash 3in1. It allows me to play all nds roms and gba. I can also emulate GBC and NES! I think there is also something for the SNES, but it isnt compatible with all games, and its not really reliable. I also have a DS Lite for all this.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I would recommend the Supercard DSTwo.
Once you find a flashcard, use these emulators.
  • GameYob - A Gameboy/Color emulator for regular flashcards ((R4, Acekard etc.)
  • SneMulDS - SNES emulator for regular flashcards (R4, Acekard etc.)
  • NesDS - A NES emulator for regular flashcards (R4, Acekard etc.)
  • CATSFC - A special SNES emulator only for the Supercard DSTwo
  • TempGBA - A special GBA emulator only for the Supercard DSTwo

this is really informative. thank you for explain about the emulators, and it's organized... (i am really bad at making a pretty post)
just a little thing, it's worth to remember any emulator\homebrew\app that works on a r4, acecard etc, will also work on a dstwo.. (unless it was specially designed for wood menu, but i don't think that exists.. i am saying this because there was a wooddumper app that i somewhat remember saying it was only for wood menu..)

Reactions: Xexyz

Xexyz

GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is really informative. thank you for explain about the emulators, and it's organized... (i am really bad at making a pretty post)
just a little thing, it's worth to remember any emulator\homebrew\app that works on a r4, acecard etc, will also work on a dstwo.. (unless it was specially designed for wood menu, but i don't think that exists.. i am saying this because there was a wooddumper app that i somewhat remember saying it was only for wood menu..)
I'll edit my post, should've made it clearer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn