Hacking Where is the Wiikey U?

beundertaker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
relax guys. If not wiikey u, someone else will make something.

I'm willing to throw down 100 bones and I'm sure many people are as well. We'll see this or something else come to fruition.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm betting two console gens down the road, they will just gamestream everything from the net, and physical discs will just aid in local installations of games and purchase verification.

If the files are streamed then someone will find a way to pretend to be the real server. Once it's just the video that is streamed (like PS NOW) then piracy will disappear, to be replaced by credit card fraud.

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the files are streamed then someone will find a way to pretend to be the real server. Once it's just the video that is streamed (like PS NOW) then piracy will disappear, to be replaced by credit card fraud.

Nobody's going to buy a console to stream games, that's why OnLive failed so badly. DRM the way the Xbone was originally going to do it, though, is really likely.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nobody's going to buy a console to stream games, that's why OnLive failed so badly. DRM the way the Xbone was originally going to do it, though, is really likely.

I think people might if it was ouya priced but was powered by a data centre which gave you the same experience as running a PS4/XBOX One.

If they can get that working then people might buy into that. Sony and Microsoft are both in a much better position than OnLive.

EmceeKerser

Trophies
XP
Country
I think people might if it was ouya priced but was powered by a data centre which gave you the same experience as running a PS4/XBOX One.

If they can get that working then people might buy into that. Sony and Microsoft are both in a much better position than OnLive.

Not viable, internet connections are nowhere near good enough around the world to sustain it. Australia alone wouldnt be able to do it

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not viable, internet connections are nowhere near good enough around the world to sustain it. Australia alone wouldnt be able to do it

Not today, but it will take a while to build momentum on something like this. Like how most people thought sending 120 character messages wouldn't ever take off, or facebook etc etc.
The games are being written anyway & Sony are using Vita hardware that hasn't cost them much to make. Therefore they can afford to keep it going for years. Microsoft didn't make a profit for the entire duration of the original xbox, perseverance pays off.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am going to have to see broadband game streaming work without latency before I believe it. For some games I think it could be viable, but for a twitch button game like Bayonetta 2 or even DK Tropical Freeze, I can't imagine the experience ever being good enough to satisfy those that know how a game should react. Plus some of us are just old school purists that want to actually own our games and play them offline, this became painfully obvious to M$ when they tried to push their online only, DRM crap. Maybe some future generation of gamers will accept these 'terms' but most of us 'original' (meaning I have been gaming since the days of space invaders and pong) gamers would rather not accept such BS terms for our entertainment.

Rocco Savadgie

Trophies
XP
Country
has anyone tried out streaming games? No way it would work without a 100Mbps up/down pipe with 5ms latency to the sony data centre.

Sure regular remote desktop and VNC over the internet are sluggish and that's just streaming a plain old desktop. How on earth is a 1080p game needing low latency input going to perform well?

Maybe when there is fibre to the home in a few years..

Oxybelis

Trophies
XP
Country
has anyone tried out streaming games? No way it would work without a 100Mbps up/down pipe with 5ms latency to the sony data centre.

Sure regular remote desktop and VNC over the internet are sluggish and that's just streaming a plain old desktop. How on earth is a 1080p game needing low latency input going to perform well?

It works same as Netflix does, but with your input.

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

OnLive works fine. You have to remember a few things though. First of all, 100Mbps is a stupidly high estimation for video. Plus people are generally fine with 720p if their internet can't handle it. Also most people can't really quantify input lag or just straight-up don't notice its effects. Thus, with fast encoding and a low physical distance to servers, streaming games works fairly well for most consumers.

I could never do it though, I hate input lag so much that almost all my displays are CRTs. (1080p projection displays woooo)

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OnLive works fine. You have to remember a few things though. First of all, 100Mbps is a stupidly high estimation for video. Plus people are generally fine with 720p if their internet can't handle it. Also most people can't really quantify input lag or just straight-up don't notice its effects. Thus, with fast encoding and a low physical distance to servers, streaming games works fairly well for most consumers.

I could never do it though, I hate input lag so much that almost all my displays are CRTs. (1080p projection displays woooo)

See U crack me up because U say well remote play latency not that bad, but U are so demanding U won't use LED/LCD monitors.......truth is a lot of people do notice or care about latency on controls, especially in a fighter like Smash, or any game that requires complex combos. I mean smash players want wired controllers for latency advantage and FPS bros are crazy about it too......it matters to anyone competitive gaming.

So like I said I think streaming can work for some games, a lot of less input demanding types. I sort of think the model is a ripoff that heavily favors the publishers, but I am just really old school and don't give a crap about renting. If a game is worth it then I want to own it and have it in the library, aside from that I have skills so can play anything I want anyways. Overall I didn't think the PSNow pricing was terrible but I don't think it is the end of used games or game ownership......the initial offerings are terrible IMO.

daicon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm betting two console gens down the road, they will just gamestream everything from the net, and physical discs will just aid in local installations of games and purchase verification.

there won't be two more console gens after this.

MorpheuZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Could we please get back on topic? This is getting ridiculus.
It's almost november and there's still no info on the WiikeÜ despite release date was almost two months ago.
I would be happy with at least a notice from the team like: "Shit, we hit a speed bump. We're sorry guys. New estimate is <INSERT MONTH> or at least towards the holidays/Q1 2015.
We're sorry, we fudged up."
:hateit:
I mean, come on. It's not that hard to keep people updated.
On a sidenote, I'll be getting the WiikeÜ since I want Netflix and Opera still operational on my Wii U.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte