Hardware Where exactly does my Wii stand?

Causton

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello everyone!

First off, a little context - I've not used the site for a very long time. I must admit, its quite amusing to read the posts I made long ago. I was so young and naive! Anyhow, the point of this thread is this - I want to find out where my Wii stands in terms of what exactly I've done to it. I'm not going to lie - I didn't have a clue what I was doing and to be perfectly honest, I still don't know now. I simply want some clarification. Please feel free to be as patronising as you want.

Right, so what with the recent revelations surrounding the closure of Nintendo-WFC services, I figured it might be a good time to dust off the Wii and see what I could do with it. I'm a lot more tech-savvy than I was when I first posted here, although I don't claim to be an expert, so I think I should be ok to poke around with it.

Here's the initial Youtube tutorial I followed on how to softmod my Wii. Looking back, it probably wasn't the best source to use, but hey, I was young and naive.

After doing this, I think I went and installed the WAD of Final Fantasy: My Life as a King, where I got the Ret 2011 error. A user recommended the Trucha Bug Restorer and I followed the advice given in this thread - http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-use-trucha-bug-restorer-by-wiipower.165489/#post-2102351

I can't remember the exact steps I took unfortunately (I didn't have the foresight to post the specifics here), although I should think I followed the advice given by the user below my post in that thread.

At some point after this, I believe I removed the WAD of Final Fantasy and deleted anything I had used in the process of getting it on there, although I may have only removed the programs rather than specific files. Like I say, I was a naive kid and I was way out of my depth, which prompted me to decide to try to remove anything I had done to my Wii.

I then updated my Wii to the latest version at the time of updating, which was Version 4.3E. However, I don't know if something went wrong, as when a new update came out I tried to update my Wii and received error 32017.

This is where I'm at now. I cannot access the Wii Shop Channel and also of note, is the fact that my controllers don't seem to connect properly and the charge that is shown on the screen for the controller is not necessarily accurate. This may be due to a third party charging dock, however.

So, little help please?

Causton

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate the link, it was quite interesting to read some of the posts there. It seems to me that although lots of people have been getting this error, their circumstances have differed, and the suggestions from other members have all been quite varied.

Some have suggested running bannerbomb again, other suggests softmii and some suggest a downgrade back to system menu 4.1! I honestly don't know which would be the safest and most reliable option, especially given my circumstances and the state of my Wii.

I wasn't asking how to fix that error though, although I'd like to in the future, so thank you for the link. Nah, I'd just like someone to explain to me in layman's terms what exactly I have done to my Wii and how I should proceed from here.

Again, thank you for your help though.

noprob

Trophies
Website
www.frontiernet.net
XP
Country
United States
I personally would use: Softmod ANY Wii created by mauifrog, as this Guide allowed me to softmod two separate wii's one white the other red with complete success.

In the section "Update any existing softmod" it states all other softmods will be over written,in effect you will know where you stand should you decide to use this softmod located at wiihacks.

Reactions: osirisjem

Causton

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I presume this is what you're talking about? http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-guides-tutorials-only/96886-guide-softmod-any-wii.html

As you have experience with it, do you think you'd be able to tell me some more about it? I know the guide is pretty comprehensive, but is there anything in particular that I should watch out for? Is it safe and reliable? Do you think this is really the best option? I'd really like to get this right the first time and without any unnecessary hassle. I want to just follow the steps and not have to worry about bricking the Wii.

Causton

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys, so I decided to go ahead and follow the instructions in the 'Softmod any Wii' guide by Mauifrog! Thanks to noprob for recommending it to me - you were a huge help! Everything is working perfectly, my shop channel is updated and I've got a 500gb external HDD coming so that I can back up all of my Wii games!

I feel much more comfortable about what I'm doing now than I did back in 2009! Thankfully there have been quite a few developments in the years that I've neglected my Wii, so I've found that things were a lot easier for me this time! :D

Reactions: noprob

noprob

Trophies
Website
www.frontiernet.net
XP
Country
United States
I felt as you Causton concerning my worries about bricking the Wii's in question I have personally softmoded since both were not mine but close family.

I waited until late in the game of softmoding and once I realized saving the NAND to backup should I ever experience the dreaded bricked Wii I would have recourse.

that said congratulation on your success of softmoding and knowing where you stand with your Wii.

as a side note to all Wii owners the servers for online gaming on this console and the DS (not the 3DS) will be shut down May 20, 2014

also I registered an account so I could answer your question and would like to thank the administrator(s)/owners for having me to be allowed to post.

noprob

P.S. to board moderators - Close post - Solved/Answered

-eof

Reactions: Causton

Causton

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I felt as you Causton concerning my worries about bricking the Wii's in question I have personally softmoded since both were not mine but close family.

I waited until late in the game of softmoding and once I realized saving the NAND to backup should I ever experience the dreaded bricked Wii I would have recourse.

that said congratulation on your success of softmoding and knowing where you stand with your Wii.

as a side note to all Wii owners the servers for online gaming on this console and the DS (not the 3DS) will be shut down May 20, 2014

also I registered an account so I could answer your question and would like to thank the administrator(s)/owners for having me to be allowed to post.

noprob

P.S. to board moderators - Close post - Solved/Answered

-eof

I'm touched that you signed up just to help me out! Thank you very much, I won't forget this! After reading that guide I feel so much better about the state of my wii as I actually have some idea about what I've done to it... I even went out and bought an external hdd for usb loading purposes. I feel like I've actually achieved something! :P

Reactions: noprob

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the Japanese version of the game, different... +1