GCN Where can i buy REAL Xeno mod-chip for GameCube?

Robert McCoy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Robert McCoy,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well i mean bought flash carts from china, like more than 3, and they all don't work anymore. Until i got dstwo flash cart, works still. :)

(No hate, but i rather get stuff from america from now on.) I honestly dunno much about the mod chips or game cube homebrew. I didn't need it anyway considering wii does everything gamecube does, and was easy to mod and FREE. :P

The fact homebrew existed for it was a shock as i didn't know that a sd media launcher was made. But datel make such products i should have expected such a thing. If only they kept doing that instead of just save editors for 3DS.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
iirc the xeno chip went opensource, so technically the cheap clones are actually running the original xeno firmware, as long as the build quality is ok you shouldn't have anything to worry about, but just a heads up the gamecube will only read good quality disks so the blanks can be kinda expensive, there was also the option of the custom top shells that could fit in normal sized DVD's to bring down costs (although last time I looked these too were fetching a steepish price for what it is), I have a console with a cheapo xeno chip in and I haven't had any issues with it for region free games, don't really use it for backups though.

but yeah the cheapest and easiest option for gamecube backups would probably be getting a old BC wii and using that

is it possible the modder wasn't adjusting the drive POT to help it read backups or using crappy quality disks for backups as 8/10 failure rate seems very high even for crap quality chips

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
... but just a heads up the gamecube will only read good quality disks so the blanks can be kinda expensive ...

I have a Xeno GC installed in my "Spice" Japanese Gamecube, and all of my disks were burned using Imgburn on these babies right here, with 99.9% success. The only coasters I made were my fault when I first started out, the drive on my desktop produced fails, so I switched to the laptop and it was all good after that. No need to 'pot tweak' the Gamecube either, but maybe just lucky there. But anyway these disks WILL work, and the price is great.

XAJlv1f.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Duplicator-Grade-Silver-Spindle/dp/B0056BYHAM

My preciousssss ....
7nY83LE.jpg

Last edited by Hanafuda,

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This ebay seller appears to be selling a real xeno gc 2.0. The picture matches known pictures of the xeno gc 2.0 on the internet.

I've got one Xeno GC 2.0 in my gamecube (pictured above) and another still in the anti-static wrapper waiting for use (sorry, not selling) and yeah, the photo on the ebay listing definitely looks correct. But that doesn't mean the one you actually receive won't be a knock-off, which may or may not look like the photo.

Here's one that's only $3.18. Think it's genuine??? Does it matter???
http://www.ebay.com/itm/XENO-Mod-GC-Direct-reading-Chip-NGC-for-Gamecube-Chip-TW/152359463211

Last edited by Hanafuda,

kutteke

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I just installed one of those yesterday cost me 2.43eur incl shipping from ebay. Super easy to install, was my first time soldering. I installed it to be able to use the gameboy player interface and maybe later a bootdisk for SD loading. Seems to be working fine. only getting a lot of disc read errors on my burned copies. The gameboy player interface is working fine (but its a small file on disc) probably bad media or a bad dvd burner (from an old laptop).I've tried to POT tweak it from ~350ohm in increments all the way to 150ohm and it seems to be most comfortable around the stock setting so... I just ordered mini dvd's from verbatim and a shiny new dvd burner. I'll post back with results.

Robert McCoy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This probably isn't what the OP wants to hear but after reading I realized the Nintendont homebrew app can run burned gamecube games as well as ISO backups. But to run the burned discs you need to have the older all white Wii. Still kinda hardware right? Gamecube backup running just seems really expensive these days and also the Wii can upscale on an hdmi TV while gamecube can't do that.

TeconMoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried messing around with the GameCube a lot testing different loading options like XENO GC, Action replay to SD Gecko, also tried using a MEGAdrive v3 in conjunction with a WASP Fusion, but no matter what I did it was a crappy user experience.

• XENO GC: Bought 3, none of which worked properly even after testing every single point multiple times with a multimeter
  • Action Replay auto-booting Swiss-GC from SD Gecko: This takes a while to load, games lag due to the slow SD read speed, and can randomly crash
  • MEGAdrive v3 auto-booting Swiss-GC from WASP Fusion: Audio Streaming is completely silent along with weird audio glitches in various games, plus odd games in my collection being incompatible (most notably Luigi's Mansion).

For GameCube games I now use Nintendont on my Wii U with the GameCube controller adapter primarily. Picture quality is way better over HDMI, just about every game is supported, easy to use USB Loader GX as a frontend with customized options for each game, etc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: So true