Hardware When was the last time you burned a CD/DVD/optical disc?

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Whoo for descriptive titles. Anyway I fix computers from time to time as it is easy money and was looking at my writeable disc collection (all discs, do not actually have any bootable USBs) and realised I had not actually burned a disc probably since I set this machine up (mainly as I had a shiny new SSD and windows XP was ending shortly, so early 2014), and that was the first time in a about a year which then was only to replace my broken copy of Hiren's BootCD.

I burned a lot more during the 360 days, even have a permaflashed ihas drive for burning XGD3, but come to think of it that was about all I did then too. Prior to that people often wanted their home movies in DVD format and a few people still wanted CDs for cars and such.

All that said I reckon this is still very much a case of "you will miss it when you do not have it".

So last optical disc you burned and any salient comments on the matter you wish to make.

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
About 3 months ago. I downloaded a Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft's site to use as a recovery disk since I screwed up.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I think it was years ago, when I burned several live CDs/recovery CDs to try to backup the data on a laptop drive. In the end I was only able to backup the data from within Windows itself. I might have burned a Windows 7 disc since then, although I have several of them laying around I can never find them when I need them.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I burn disks pretty frequently - the last one was less than a week ago.

About 15 years ago I worked for a company that printed and duplicated cd's and dvd's... consequently, I ended up with a LOT of misprinted blank media - the dvd's I accrued ran out long ago, but I still have several hundred blank cd's.

My car stereo is a bit old, and doesn't have an aux input, but it does play mp3's burned onto a cd; this accounts for the majority of my disk burning these days.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Last week for me. Burnt Windows 7 and 10 to DVD because neither seemed to want to work off my USB.

Edit: on the topic of having a DVD drive or not, I've found that most people don't need one, and those who do occasionally use one would be just fine with a USB DVD drive. Still, I like to keep my 5.25" drive bays in my system builds because there are plenty of other useful things to put there instead of optical drives.

Last edited by Originality,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I still burn things...semi-frequently. Every now and again I'll need to burn a copy of Windows or something on the fly when I don't have any USB drives around, my mother still has me burn CDs for her every now and again when she wants some music. My little brother also has a 360 with a flash DVD drive, so I burn a couple 360 games whenever something big like CoD or something comes out.

And speaking of XGD3, when that first came out and I was looking around at how to burn those, I discovered that the DVD drive I had at the time (that I pulled from a desktop just because) was one of the only iHas models (at that time anyways) that had the custom firmware that let you burn XGD3 games. I still use it to this day, though I half expect it to die on me sometime soon cuz it's getting pretty up there now, it's like 6 or 7 years old at this point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Thanks for trying. :)
    +1
    ill just use edge and watch nintendo videos on firefox. lolol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The everything beagle cup noodles are actually pretty decent
    dog noodles. mmmmmm.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    monkey brains
    The cream cheese flavoring in the bagel cups scares me
    Did you try the breakfast one they make?
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    A good salmon Poké bowl with some cream cheese is decadent
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's really not bad you just think of cold cream cheese
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    being lactose intolerant is a sin
    I dont like cream cheese. Thats why. Haha. The breakfast noodle cup sounds fantastic though.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I beat grilled cream cheese would be top notch
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    @ZeroT21 tons of ingredients contains lactose more or less sadly. Makes them tummy aches and farts-o-lantern rocket launches
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My only gripe too many poppy seeds a cop may taze me
    "Start your day with Cup Noodles Breakfast! This limited time flavor blends ramen with your favorite breakfast flavors, including pancakes, maple syrup, sausage, and eggs."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If our Walmart has them yours probably does
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I came to like french Camembert
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People get way too self conscious about ingredients
    Grilled peanut butter sandwiches with banana, bacon, and marshmallow cream. YUM!!!!
    one of my favorites
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Okay elvis
    fuck elvis. lol :P
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: