Whats your religion

TrapperKeeperX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Religion? Water Into Wine? & Virgin Birth? Like what Roger on American Dad said "It's Like Harry Potter but it causes Genocide & Bad Folk Music" Well it's like a Diaries of a Mad Man! Also the Bible is not true since it was created by man. Well think about it this way someone who says Exploring their own sexuality,Homosexuality,Abortions,Same Sex Marriages,Cursing,Sex,Drugs,Rock & Roll,Metal,Death Metal,etc. are sins it's nothing but a bunch of bullshit. Also what bothers me that good people die while evil people stay alive and that proves to me that there is no god! I don't believe in a Imaginary Talking Zombie AKA a Talking Dead Guy! For people call themselves good religious people I see this in politics they're extreme;y greedy and it's always the serious Conservative Christians that get greedy is greed one of the deadly sins???? According to them it's not getting greedy I say it is greed and it's always the serious Conservative Christians say the lord wants me to be rich and screw all of the poor people over. It's really sad to see people using religion for evil I really see religion abused it many ways. Catholics They won't believe in Abortions,Condoms,Birth Control but they won't stop molesting children yes I'm talking about the priest that molest kids Catholics are a bunch of kid fuckers. Religious people should have no control in anything Politics is one of them this is no wonder why we have separation of church & state and that one bitch from Jesus Camp said harry potter is the devil well she's a fucking dumb ass and she looks like she's hiding in the closet.

Believe in what you want but In my own opinion I'm an Atheist and I can careless about religion because it causes problems like war,ignorance,intolerance,corruption,Lust,Gluttony,Greed,Sloth,Wrath,Envy, & Pride well that best explains it.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thesolcity said:
I'm christian, but citing the bible as proof is a load of bull. I use external sources, besides the bible. I don't like people who use the bible as evidence for the bible, it makes christians like me look bad >>. Along with young-earth creationists, they make people like me look retarded. But, I also see this in media, so I can't help it. You hear about smart christians in the media just about as often as you hear about non-violent muslims. :/

Definite +1 to that. The ultra-fundamentalists seem to be a very loud minority and yet get all the attention in the media and the popular conception and make the rest of us just look silly. One woman I used to know once put it this way:
"I don't even tell people I'm a Christian because of all the negative connotations that have built up around it in the media. I tell them I'm God's child and want to make him proud"

Now, I personally think that the further I have progressed in science classes (which, I've taken a lot of, for instance 8 chem classes, 5 bio classes, etc) the more I find that they reinforce the Bible more then they take it down, if you look at it in the way it should be looked at (ie, in relation to the time it was written) The way I look at it, science is our way of understanding the universe which God created. So in essence, science is our way of understanding God.

mysticwaterfall

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TrapperKeeperX said:
Religion? Water Into Wine? & Virgin Birth? Like what Roger on American Dad said "It's Like Harry Potter but it causes Genocide & Bad Folk Music" Well it's like a Diaries of a Mad Man! Also the Bible is not true since it was created by man. Well think about it this way someone who says Exploring their own sexuality,Homosexuality,Abortions,Same Sex Marriages,Cursing,Sex,Drugs,Rock & Roll,Metal,Death Metal,etc. are sins it's nothing but a bunch of bullshit. Also what bothers me that good people die while evil people stay alive and that proves to me that there is no god! I don't believe in a Imaginary Talking Zombie AKA a Talking Dead Guy! For people call themselves good religious people I see this in politics they're extreme;y greedy and it's always the serious Conservative Christians that get greedy is greed one of the deadly sins???? According to them it's not getting greedy I say it is greed and it's always the serious Conservative Christians say the lord wants me to be rich and screw all of the poor people over. It's really sad to see people using religion for evil I really see religion abused it many ways. Catholics They won't believe in Abortions,Condoms,Birth Control but they won't stop molesting children yes I'm talking about the priest that molest kids Catholics are a bunch of kid fuckers. Religious people should have no control in anything Politics is one of them this is no wonder why we have separation of church & state and that one bitch from Jesus Camp said harry potter is the devil well she's a fucking dumb ass and she looks like she's hiding in the closet.

Believe in what you want but In my own opinion I'm an Atheist and I can careless about religion because it causes problems like war,ignorance,intolerance,corruption,Lust,Gluttony,Greed,Sloth,Wrath,Envy, & Pride well that best explains it.

A lot of people pervert religion to there own ends. But this true of pretty much anything - patriotism is a great example. This does not make the religion itself bad, it makes the people who do the perversion bad. This is why St. Paul said we were justified by faith, not by deeds, because a truly good person can not help but do good deeds as a matter of course, since that is there nature. While anybody can do "good deeds", but if they do them for the wrong reasons, it is a meaningless act.

Just because somebody says they are a christian does not mean they truly are one. I saw a great bumper sticker about it one day, "Going to church doesn't make you a christian any more then owning a toolbox makes you a mechanic". It is an unfortunate reality that a lot of people pay lip service to the faith and don't really believe in it.

Are there, for lack of a better term, crazy christians? Yes. Having seen Jesus Camp, it is one of the most messed up things I have ever seen. The people in that movie are not "normal christians" in my opinion, but instead are on the fringe. Is there anything wrong with liking Harry Potter? No, as long as you realize it's fiction and don't suddenly want to start practicing witchcraft (no offense intended here to wiccans, pagans, etc as I have relatives/friends who are. But I think you get the point) then there is no problem with it. Most of the things that are/were considered "sins" today are not referenced in the Bible at all, for instance, your mention of music. Jesus severely criticizes the pharisees for trying to categorize every possible sin and rank them in importance; he believed that they weren't seeing the forest for the trees, among other things.

So yes, has religion been used for evil purposes? Yes. Have patriotism, love, and anything else you can think of also been? Yes.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
TrapperKeeperX said:

Religion is not the problem. It never has been. Sadly, your perception of the situation is horribly single-minded.

Religion has more power in politics than you think. Maybe not in US, but in many countries, religion is one of the foundations of their political system.

Also, why do you not add spaces with your commas?

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
chao1212 said:
KingdomBlade said:
injected11 said:
Tanas said:
kupo3000 said:
This is not a fairy tale, you'll find that this is a true story.

Heres the proof.
http://www.allonlinebible.com/read.php
Sorry, but posting a link to an online bible doesn't make it a true story.
Agreed. How is the Bible proof of that? When I clicked on the link, I was hoping it was some sort of essay or article.
Actually I debated with a Christian about religion once and they cited the bible as proof.
What other proof do you have apart from the bible? the bible is all you theist's have, and tell me how can the bible not be used as proof? it is the infallible word of god after all.

And it appears that the sarcasm went over your heads.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tanas said:
chao1212 said:
KingdomBlade said:
injected11 said:
Tanas said:
kupo3000 said:

Heres the proof.
Agreed. How is the Bible proof of that? When I clicked on the link, I was hoping it was some sort of essay or article.
Actually I debated with a Christian about religion once and they cited the bible as proof.
What other proof do you have apart from the bible? the bible is all you theist's have, and tell me how can the bible not be used as proof? it is the infallible word of god after all.

That's a generalization, I'm a theist (in a similar case to Catboy, sort of a mix between theist and agnostic but of no particular religion) and I never use the Bible as proof because I don't believe most of the stuff in it.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But what about this:

Many facts in some holy books (I'm not saying which) are surprising accurate and were WAY ahead of those times.

Water in every living thing.
The earth orbits the sun.
The way that a fetus looks like a clot of blood.

And a lot of other things. Just throwing it out there.

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Slyakin said:
But what about this:

Many facts in some holy books (I'm not saying which) are surprising accurate and were WAY ahead of those times.

I'm ahead of you Slyakin. Already mentioned these facts from the Qur'an.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pyrmon24 said:
Slyakin said:
But what about this:

Cool! Carry on.
wink.gif

DeviousTom

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not really sure what religion I am a part of, does that make me atheist, agnostic? I don't feel like I can fully deny the existence of a superior being, I don't think anyone can prove it really. I also don't think the idea of religion is really all that problematic, I just find that there are way too many areseholes who pervert the idea of religion, exploit it, and hide behind it and justify their actions because of their religion.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
DeviousTom said:
Not really sure what religion I am, does that make me atheist, agnostic? I don't feel like I can fully deny the existence of a superior being, I don't think anyone can prove it really. I also don't think the idea of religion is really all that problematic, I just find that there are way too many areseholes who pervert the idea of religion, exploit it, and hide behind it and justify their actions because of their religion.
You sound agnostic really, since you seem open to both sides of the spectrum.

mysticwaterfall

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
pyrmon24 said:
Slyakin said:
But what about this:

Cool! Carry on.
wink.gif

Well, hey then. Below is a list from godandscience.org. While certainly I don't agree with everything on his site, I do like a lot of his stuff, since he takes the time to correlate things between the the so called "real world" and the bible. An example being that the Bible correctly describes the current inflationary model of the big bang, thousands of years ago. That is, a single quantum disturbance of light (energy), the cosmos spreading out and expanding, creation of thermodynamics, etc.

The Bible and Science Scientific Principle Biblical Reference
Cosmology/Astronomy
Time had a beginning 2 Timothy 1:9, Titus 1:2, 1 Corinthians 2:7
The universe had a beginning Genesis 1:1, 2:4, Isaiah 42:5, etc.
The universe was created from the invisible Hebrews 11:3
The dimensions of the universe were created Romans 8:38-39
The universe is expanding Job 9:8, Psalm 104:2, Isaiah 40:22, Isaiah 42:5, Isaiah 44:24, Isaiah 45:12, Isaiah 48:13, Isaiah 51:13, Jeremiah 10:12, Jeremiah 51:15, Zechariah 12:1
Creation of matter and energy has ended in the universe (refutes steady-state theory) Genesis 2:3-4
The universe is winding down and will "wear out" (second law of thermodynamics ensures that the universe will run down due to "heat death"-maximum entropy) Psalm 102:25-27
Describes the correct order of creation Genesis 1 (see Day-Age Genesis One Interpretation)
Number of stars exceeds a billion Genesis 22:17, Jeremiah 33:22
Every star is different 1 Corinthians 15:41
Pleiades and Orion as gravitationally bound star groups Job 38:31
Light is in motion Job 38:19-20
The earth is controlled by the heavens Job 38:3
Earth is a sphere Isaiah 40:2213 Job 26:10
At any time, there is day and night on the Earth Luke 17:34-35
Earth is suspended in space Job 26:7

Earth Sciences
Earth began as a waterworld. Formation of continents by tectonic activity described Genesis 1:2-9, Psalm 104:6-9, Proverbs 3:19, Proverbs 8:27-29, Job 38:4-8, 2 Peter 3:5
Water cycle described Ecclesiastes 1:7; Isaiah 55:10, Job 36:27-28
Valleys exist on the bottom of the sea 2 Samuel 22:16
Vents exist on the bottom of the sea Job 38:16
Ocean currents in the sea Psalm 8:8
Air has weight Job 28:25
Winds blow in circular paths Ecclesiastes 1:6

Biology
The chemical nature of human life Genesis 2:7, 3:19
Life of creatures are in the blood Leviticus 17:11
The nature of infectious diseases Leviticus 13:46

Importance of sanitation to health
Numbers 19, Deuteronomy 23:12-13, Leviticus 7-9

DeviousTom

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not really sure about all the other Biblical references on that godandscience website, but the website misused the Isiah reference with the world being spherical, that line in the Bible actually says the world is circular. Just something I noticed when skimming over that list.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Tanas said:
chao1212 said:
KingdomBlade said:
injected11 said:
Tanas said:
kupo3000 said:

Heres the proof.

That's a generalization, I'm a theist (in a similar case to Catboy, sort of a mix between theist and agnostic but of no particular religion) and I never use the Bible as proof because I don't believe most of the stuff in it.
To clarify, he was using the bible as proof to verify the contents of the bible, which, logically, makes no fucking sense.

(Quote pyramid!)

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeviousTom said:
Not really sure about all the other Biblical references on that godandscience website, but the website misused the Isiah reference with the world being spherical, that line in the Bible actually says the world is circular. Just something I noticed when skimming over that list.

There wasn't really a hebrew word for sphere, so I assume it was translated over incorrectly, same with how they use "koh" as meaning the literal whole earth. :S

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
chao1212 said:
machomuu said:
Tanas said:
chao1212 said:
KingdomBlade said:
injected11 said:
Tanas said:
kupo3000 said:

Heres the proof.

To clarify, he was using the bible as proof to verify the contents of the bible, which, logically, makes no fucking sense.

(Quote pyramid!)
Something that has no evidence of ever taken place but is taken as fact, that's what makes no logical fucking sense.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Science is my religion.
tongue.gif
Believing you are the cause of a cosmic game of chance, that your origins as a species are furry flearidden apes, and that on death you simply cease to exist may not be the most nice-sounding or colorful of concepts, but I believe this is what we have the most evidence for, and reality ain't always pleasant. I consider everything else to be just cultural manifestations written by mortal hands.

ShinyLatios

Not Quite There Yet
Trophies
Website
www.eonaegis.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Searinox said:
Science is my religion.
tongue.gif
Believing you are the cause of a cosmic game of chance, that your origins as a species are furry flearidden apes, and that on death you simply cease to exist may not be the most nice-sounding or colorful of concepts, but I believe this is what we have the most evidence for, and reality ain't always pleasant. I consider everything else to be just cultural manifestations written by mortal hands.

...I think this is right.

mysticwaterfall

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Searinox said:
Science is my religion.
tongue.gif

Of course, a lot of science is pure faith in ideas that may get replaced by something better later. We laugh at what scientific ideas people used to believe say, 100 years ago that have now been disproven. Who knows what they'll be lauging about that we think is true now 100 years from now. I'll never forget in one of my organic chem classes when the teacher said, "Of course, the molecules don't really do this. We made this up. But it serves as a nice model of what goes on in the 'big picture'".

For your specific points, I would bring up:

-Einstein famously said, "If the universe has a beginning, it must have a beginner". He was deeply troubled by the fact that his work showed that the universe was not eternal, which was the leading belief at the time. He added the "cosmological constant" to correct for this, which he later called "the greatest blunder in my career" as it was proved unnecessary. Scientists now pretty much universally believe in the hyper inflationary model of the big bang. Stephen Hawking of course famously believes that modified string theory can cause spontaneous universal creation based on the laws of physics which just so happen to exist in the way to do this. That takes a lot more faith then religion does if you ask me.

---------
EDIT: Or, as John Lennox puts it:

"But contrary to what Hawking claims, physical laws can never provide a complete explanation of the universe. Laws themselves do not create anything, they are merely a description of what happens under certain conditions.

Hawking's argument appears to me even more illogical when he says the existence of gravity means the creation of the universe was inevitable. But how did gravity exist in the first place? Who put it there? And what was the creative force behind its birth?

Similarly, when Hawking argues, in support of his theory of spontaneous creation, that it was only necessary for 'the blue touch paper' to be lit to 'set the universe going', the question must be: where did this blue touch paper come from? And who lit it, if not God?"

source
---------

-I have no problem with evolution per se; I have a problem with the neo-darwinistic model of evolution occurring through spontaneous random genetic mutation. As you learn in any biology course, mutations are almost universally harmful. There are many other problems you could bring up, but the bottom line is I believe God used evoloution as a tool, just like he set up the laws of physics et al, as a tool.

-There is no evidence at all what happens after we die, and there most likely never will be.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
My faith in current theories is not absolute. This is a fundamental difference between religion and science. Religion will give you a set of laid-out facts as they were written by whoever wrote their holy texts many centuries ago. Religious adherents thus have ONE set of beliefs to, with a small margin of what may be their personal interpretation. There is a fixed doctrine. A belief in science is at the same time an ongoing pursuit. The doctrine will vary with time. You may believe facts that may one day be overturned completly. I'd rather stick with belief in something that is undergoing progress than fixed rigid concepts that offer less and less guidance to today's issues since the world is vastly different from how it was millenia ago.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +3
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there issues that you first found out thru south park
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most of the time yea I knew, I watch and read the news regularly, but sometimes the Hollywood BS stuff, like concerning actors slip by me. I don't follow most Hollywood BS (example: the Kardasians)
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and had kids. And how the town of South Park was back then compared to now. That would be cool to see.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @salazarcosplay if they made a prequel, it would still be about current issues, cause it doesn't make sense to make it about stuff that happened 30 years ago that nobody cares about anymore
    it's too late
    the older south park episodes about particular issues usually age poorly since the topic is no longer relevant
    an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was gone for like an hour and none of you thought to write or call pos
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We knew you were going to Sonic to get lunch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sadly the person in question feels too young for his own good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We don't question people
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: