Hardware What's Your Opinion on the 3DS Design?

specht

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
IGN: Knowing what happened with the DS, when they first showed the DS back at E3 2004 -- it changed. When it came out there were a number of differences in the form factor, and some other more subtle changes. Are we going to see this exact 3DS system at its launch, or will there be subtle differences?

Konno: I think you should be looking forward to this one right here.

From IGN

If we take the head hardware designer's word for it, it looks like this is the final retail version of the 3DS (or at least close to that).

Until I read this article I didn't even know there was a built-in IR port. Hopefully it gets more use than the PSP IR.

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
xcdjy said:
I think this will be the final design give or take one or two things.
It's deliberate so that they can make a 'Lite' version. Actually looking at the 3DS reminds me of the DS Phat.
According to the specs on the site, it should only be a little thicker than a DSi. So if you don't have any problems putting that in your pocket then you shouldn't with the 3DS. I can see why people say it's like the DS phat because everything isn't completely perpendicular but it still looks more like a DSi. I'm with the people saying it will be the final design, but I do agree with moving the headphone jack so that it can stick out of pockets easily.

mangaTom

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Well many have said this already but I hope they change or modify the position of the d-pad and analog stick cause it will really be a problem because your thumbs will hurt, especially when using the d-pad.

neonstone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
altorn said:
moving either the DPAD or the AnalogPAD below the face buttons (ABXY) will be good.
yeah it will look like the 360's and PS3's controllers but it will be ideal for gameplay...

i wish they are both on analog controls..

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
altorn said:
moving either the DPAD or the AnalogPAD below the face buttons (ABXY) will be good.
yeah it will look like the 360's and PS3's controllers but it will be ideal for gameplay...
Eeew, no thanks.

I prefer directional controls to the left and action controls to the right.

ca_michelbach

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ProtoKun7 said:
altorn said:
Eeew, no thanks.

I prefer directional controls to the left and action controls to the right.
Ditto. It's how pretty much every other console sets up their controls...changing it would take some getting used to.

gumgod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to see a second analog stick (perhaps smaller) on the right. Imagine a shooting game like smash tv on old school nes (when you used two controllers) one analog to control the direction of your character and one to control the direction you are shooting. It would be useful in other games as well to control the camera or to control aiming a cross hair. This probably isn't going to happen though.

Also, I don't think I like the placement of the buttons select, start and home. They should be near where the power button is currently located. The power button could be moved to make room for them.

specht

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Overlord Nadrian said:
altorn said:
I don't see how that would possibly work. Explain.

I'm thinking the idea came from wanting to use an analog stick or d-pad to look around with in an FPS instead of the face buttons or touch screen.

I think the touch screen works perfectly well as a mouse replacement for the FPS genre.

AgentBEATS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Overall, I am satisfied with the design. My main quips with the design come from things that are unlikely to be changed. I dislike the fact that the bottom screen is smaller than the top. But other than that it looks pretty nice. The mismatched colour design is also not very appealing, but I'll get over it.

The fact that Nintendo has stated that the final design isn't decided yet is very encouraging. The evolution of the DS line's design shows that Nintendo knows what it is doing, so hopefully the 3DS only gets better.

Donald Serrot

Trophies
Website
3dporch.com
XP
Country
United States
I like it as it is now, wouldn't mind some refining of the shape, but not to make it DS like, just more fluidly fit together.
I don't mind the black on top, but I'm pretty sure that is simply part of the prototype. Remember the original prototype DS? It had a big black midsection thing going on and that didn't stick. Also not 100% thrilled with the current D-pad placement. I'm of the opinion that the slide pad and the D-pad should be switched, but it's not the end of the world if it isn't.

Overall good to go!

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
I would rather the thing fit together smoothly. Currently out of the DS range, I think the DSi (normal size) is the best, I would prefer the 3DS to look more like that. The current design looks more like a transformer than a DS, with all of those edges you know your going to have red lines all over your hands from the pressure of the edges pressing against them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all