What's with the dying support of Virtual Console games on the 3DS and Wii U?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by 03bgood, Jan 11, 2017.

1. 03bgood
    OP

Member 03bgood GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Are they preparing the VC for the Switch? I've noticed that both EU and JP are not only getting hardly any VC games, but eShop games as well. So far, only NA seems to get VC games. We still need Star Fox 64, F-Zero X, and Mario Vs. Donkey Kong. As for SNES games on the New 3DS, I really hope we see games like Kirby Super Star, Kirby's Dream Land 3, and Super Mario RPG. I know that the N3DS can support them. Old smartphones from 2011-2013 could even support them and those are on par with the N3DS's processing power.

Last edited by 03bgood, Jan 11, 2017
  2. ItsKipz

Member ItsKipz l33t hax0r

United States
    s w i t c h

3. 03bgood
    OP

United States
    So far, only Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Animal Crossing, and Mother 3 have been rumored. I really hope they announce more like Yoshi's Island (SNES version) and Star Fox. I also hope we finally get the original Contra.

4. ItsKipz

Member ItsKipz l33t hax0r

United States
    You do know that both yoshi's island and mother 3 can be emulated on both 3ds and wii u, and vWii can run nintendont for GC games?

5. 03bgood
    OP

United States
    I actaully beat YI via SNES9X GX in vWii and I have 10 GCN games on Nintendon't.

ItsKipz likes this.
  6. Ryccardo

Member Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Italy
    The answer is pretty simple: despite what Asdolo's easy injectors for 3DS may make you think it's a 10 minute job, creating a VC title is real work:
    -Obtain the roms (which might be in whatever format was internally used in their time as opposed to the common emulator format, see iNes vs TNes)
    -Rarely, develop a modified emulator (like the one with networking for Pokemon gen 1)
    -Put them in the emulator/virtualizer's romfs (/content) or exefs (/code/*.rpx)
    -Develop patch files for censoring flashing effects, Jynx's color, etc
    -Create a digital manual, if you ever tried the SDK tool it's not fun at all
    -Package and install the game
    -Play testing, with the associated having to restart from a previous step, made more tedious by having to separate bugs in the original game from those caused by emulator and patches
    -Old game but in a new edition, enjoy your licensing and age rating business crap

The profit margin on each sale is probably ridiculously high, but that's still after days of work for a product in direct competition with (legal and illegal) free emulation!

7. ItsMetaKnight

Member ItsMetaKnight GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Denmark
    I don't understand why they don't just release their whole catalog at once. Don't they want our money? By the time the games I want to play come out on VC (if they ever do), I might already have lost interest in the console. And I'm also not buying VC games at the end of a console's lifecycle.