Homebrew What's the most insane Homebrew you've seen on the Wii U?

suhloth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Title pretty much says it all. I'm curious to see what's out there, or what's being developed. I've already modified my console with Mocha CFW, caffine, gecko, wup and a couple other meaningless apps but I was hoping for something game changing.

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hid to vpad is very cool, it replaces all input from the game with HID USB devices like a ps3/ps4 controller.
It even has a beta that replaces input with pro controllers

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Until i see a file manager for the system or a freeshop like app, or a actual emulator that isn't retroarch branded, i have to say HIDtoVPAD, or mocha cfw. Mocha seem very small, but i like seeing the altered Icon when loading it. :P

HIDtoVPAD is cool, arcade stick smash bros and pokken tournement or any game you want? Now only we can get ps4 touch pad to work with it,

Last is probably Loadiine, before the new way of installing stuff to play on system was done, loadiine offered a more safe solution to playing backups, making it ideal for NDS VC games since it required almost no extra or long dumping times other than replacing a rom file with one of your choice and putting it in a zip archive. While other options for Virtual console may be a bit more tedious than this one, or even full Game dumps being the size the games are (ESPECIALLY MOST DISC BASED ONES) this was simple, easy and godlike, too bad it doesn't support online or even local wifi cause that been nice. Multiplayer mode on wii u with NDS games broadcasted on twitch, or youtube, imagine that. :)

I may sound like i'm giving loadiine too much credit but it deserves it as easier alternative to safer backups than messing with NAND which is always at risk no matter what someone says or do, especially with the way crap factor of mandatory sd card has, may i point out while sony systems like psp using memory sticks or psvita having priority memory cards, mine still work and only had bought one ever, while i have to go through many sd cards even though is more common than memory sticks or other kinds of priority ones. :creep:

Reactions: Ryccardo
Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
Hrm, well...
  • App that dumps your WiFi passwords and displays them onscreen
  • A coldbooxhax alternative that turned out to be the first homebrew video player
  • redNAND installer that turned out to temporarily change the Mii Maker icon to a HBL logo (this was pre-IOSU)
  • freeshopU that turned out to be terrible
  • Notice about HBAS updates that turned out to be a fake bricker
  • Three or four apps that fill the screen with various colours at a visibly slow refresh rate
  • disc2app and wupinstaller with WFS USB support (don't ask, didn't work)
  • Several mystery repos and elves that people like to give me
What do you mean "you were involved with all but one of those"? I don't know what you're talking about.

D

Deleted User

HIDtoVPAD, random homebrew games [We need more homebrew games!]
erm, and i guess that's all.

huma_dawii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing really, I wanted a file explorer, a media player, a built in back up manager, eshop... N64, PS1 emulators... NOTHING happened, I'm so disappointed xD come on devs... this thing has a TOUCH SCREEN, the possibilities are endless.

D

Deleted User

Nothing really, I wanted a file explorer, a media player, a built in back up manager, eshop... N64, PS1 emulators... NOTHING happened, I'm so disappointed xD come on devs... this thing has a TOUCH SCREEN, the possibilities are endless.
Media player? Remember that "new coldboothax"? It played videos from Youtube. [Nobody did something to it...]
N64 and PS1 emulator require PPC Dynarec Core which nobody wants to work on because "It would take ages".
Backup manager, file manager. Well, it's not really that needed now.
[I still believe that somebody will port osu! to Wii U, let's hope the same with those apps you mentioned...]

huma_dawii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Media player? Remember that "new coldboothax"? It played videos from Youtube. [Nobody did something to it...]
N64 and PS1 emulator require PPC Dynarec Core which nobody wants to work on because "It would take ages".
Backup manager, file manager. Well, it's not really that needed now.
[I still believe that somebody will port osu! to Wii U, let's hope the same with those apps you mentioned...]
What? we already have a browser to do the youtube videos, I mean an actual media player... I can put MP3 and Videos on my SD/USB, SMB and play them.... xD

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
thes bet hacks were cbhc and retroarch, all else on wiiu was preety forgetable now even loadiine wich is kinda pointless now.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
CBHC without a doubt. I...can only assume this is so obvious that others don't bother mention it, but there's no denying it's an insanely good piece of homebrew.

rw-r-r_0644

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Guess It's pretty easy for me
-All the released homebrew
-All the unreleased homebrew (Mwhahahaha...)

Hrm, well...
  • App that dumps your WiFi passwords and displays them onscreen
  • A coldbooxhax alternative that turned out to be the first homebrew video player
  • redNAND installer that turned out to temporarily change the Mii Maker icon to a HBL logo (this was pre-IOSU)
  • freeshopU that turned out to be terrible
  • Notice about HBAS updates that turned out to be a fake bricker
  • Three or four apps that fill the screen with various colours at a visibly slow refresh rate
  • disc2app and wupinstaller with WFS USB support (don't ask, didn't work)
  • Several mystery repos and elves that people like to give me
What do you mean "you were involved with all but one of those"? I don't know what you're talking about.
Well, freeshopU works great, you just gotta wait 10 hours for a download...

Last edited by rw-r-r_0644,

brienj

Trying to avoid getting cancer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Guess It's pretty easy for me
-All the released homebrew
-All the unreleased homebrew (Mwhahahaha...)

Well, freeshopU works great, you just gotta wait 10 hours for a download...
10 hours? Isn't that only if the moons align just right? It's "just the Wii U" after all. :D

Sure you made it...
I went ahead and ported it from using the SDK, to an app I could share, and put it on the appstore. :P

Last edited by brienj,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, a freeshop on wii u, getting that running, i can't imagine spinning hours downloading huge gigabytes of games on that bad wifi connection. Regardless of that 802.11N wifi that probably max out at 20 MBPS, anything else with a AC connection like a pc or android can download faster. :P

Reactions: rw-r-r_0644
D

Deleted User

Yeah, a freeshop on wii u, getting that running, i can't imagine spinning hours downloading huge gigabytes of games on that bad wifi connection. Regardless of that 802.11N wifi that probably max out at 20 MBPS, anything else with a AC connection like a pc or android can download faster. :P
Also hoping that it wouldn't disconnect from your WiFi while you're downloading.

I'm also going to insert this here: Spiik

rw-r-r_0644

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I can confirm this.

That guy on here who made that stick-figure wizard running around in a generated landscape using Unity is the coolest shit I've seen yet. (I forget his name)
@Voxel

Last edited by rw-r-r_0644,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, atleast there was some neat filler there