Hacking Whats the latest in the hacking scene?

oumoumad

Trophies
XP
Country
France
lazy to check sticky threads ? XD
check this link, it usually gives all the updates : https://gbatemp.net/threads/hacking-the-wiiu-a-simple-progress-guide.338900/
We got IOSU access which allowed us to have signature and region patches etc...
Also a way to have the hack in the system menu without needing to open a webpage, and a way to have it on coldbood.
Also regarding loading games, you can also install them in your system menu directly using what they call "the brazilian exploit", and you can also play them online and whatnot.

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have rednand & CFW now, next things in the pipe are emulation & wiiVC getting opened up, game pad support on wii. Next wave release will probably be with BoW when people find out if there is an update or not.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have rednand & CFW now, next things in the pipe are emulation & wiiVC getting opened up, game pad support on wii. Next wave release will probably be with BoW when people find out if there is an update or not.
Just curious. Why are using rednand?

D

Deleted User

Other than avoiding a brick while messing with the nand directly, It would also be extremly useful when a new firmware comes out and want to update without losing the possibility to hack.
redNAND still doesn't protect you from FW updates and is useless if you're not a dev.
Hell, we don't even know if redNAND bricks if updated.

anthony001

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

i thought rednand is a CFW? is rednand and CFW a different thing? is rednand better than haxchi?

Im also confused about the step for rednand under the setup rednand up the holy guide section "Copy everything from your sd card to somewhere and continue (redNAND only)" does this mean that i should already be redNand when i do this?

Last edited by anthony001,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
i thought rednand is a CFW? is rednand and CFW a different thing?
Rednand is a copy of the internal storage on SD card. The "opposite of rednand" is sysnand - using the internal memory directly

Rednand is not a CFW, but to use (or, for now, even just create) rednand, you must use a CFW that supports rednand.

redNAND still doesn't protect you from FW updates and is useless if you're not a dev.
Hell, we don't even know if redNAND bricks if updated.

On paper it can (if you also enable eeprom emulation); whether that's enough of course hasn't been tested

Creating a rednand is useful for everyone - not to be used (where it mainly brings disadvantages = slower loading, no SD hotswapping, no spotpass in standby, no vwii), but only because it's the only way for now to create a block-level nand backup!!

mjohn89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm hoping when they figure the wii virtual console games out they can find a way to inject GameCube games into wii games.

anthony001

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Rednand is a copy of the internal storage on SD card. The "opposite of rednand" is sysnand - using the internal memory directly

Rednand is not a CFW, but to use (or, for now, even just create) rednand, you must use a CFW that supports rednand.

On paper it can (if you also enable eeprom emulation); whether that's enough of course hasn't been tested

Creating a rednand is useful for everyone - not to be used (where it mainly brings disadvantages = slower loading, no SD hotswapping, no spotpass in standby, no vwii), but only because it's the only way for now to create a block-level nand backup!!

ok im now really confused. can you give me the flow on how to hack my wii? like haxchi->sysnand->rednand.

from my understanding iosu exploit is still not yet fully released. will iosu make everything available even without using haxchi? if so then i can wait for the iosu exploit

Last edited by anthony001,

GBA rocks

Trophies
XP
Country
ok im now really confused. can you give me the flow on how to hack my wii? like haxchi->sysnand->rednand.

from my understanding iosu exploit is still not yet fully released. will iosu make everything available even without using haxchi? if so then i can wait for the iosu exploit

the correct way right now (late January 2017):

0) ignore anybody mentioning rednand, mocha, loadiine, tickets, simple "brazilian" USB loading (although the latter is technically part of what you're gonna do);
1) update your Wii U to 5.5.1 asap (before 5.5.2 is out, not saying that's a given, but it is a possibility with the new Zelda)
2) buy a suitable (for haxchi) DS game from eShop asap (again, before 5.5.2 is out); don't be a cheapstake, it could mean wasting the chance of a lifetime to perma-hack the WiiU; choose the DS game you like the least among the suitable ones, as you won't be able to play it (probably "Brain Age" is a good bet)
3) install haxchi to test if everything works before installing automatic-haxchi (as stated by every automatic-haxchi guide)
4) install automatic-haxchi (called "CBHC")
5) install "homebrew channel" on Wii U
6) install "wup installer y mod" on Wii U
7) install "Wii U USB helper" on pc
8) find games (like CoD) that aren't in "Wii U USB helper" elsewhere
9) optional: hack vWii (not recomended if you wanna keep it simple and you're fine with just the nintendo-picked Wii VC titles; or if you don't wanna install a sensor bar on your tv)
10) just play with your wii U and never touch the "hack" part ever again (except for updating CBHC), as anything (not actually) could conflict with CBHC and lead to a brick; for the love of god don't try to delete or reinstall the DS game used for the hack

this setup plays anything (sigpatch) from any region (region patch), so it's better than plain simple usb loading formerly known as "brazilian method"; it loads automatically when you start your WiiU and can be used completely offline (no need to visit a website), so it feels like a perma-hack

you can follow this guide

just be sure the linked files are up to date

that's it
it is not the time to wait
ignore anything else
be safe and don't think of doing stuff on your own, just let CBHC do its thing without disturbing it, or you could end up being a l33t haxxor with a bricked wiiU
remember it's unpopular to advice noobs to use CBHC by default as there are safer (less convenient) ways but actually it's up to you to just avoid to f- up (as in count to 100 before adding/changing anything to the hack part of your setup), don't buy into CBHC scaremongering

paste this guide to any noob confused by rednand mocha loadiine tickets legit games brazilian mumbo jumbo

Last edited by GBA rocks,

GBA rocks

Trophies
XP
Country
Do you have kids/cats/GFs?
If not you're fine.

The DS entry point cannot be deleted or overwritten thanks to safeguards in the latest updates. (not to brag but I suggested this feature to the awesome author FIX94 on Christmas day, and he awesomely figured out how to implement it before New Year)

I guess maybe if there is a power loss during boot it could brick? Personally I have all devices protected by a UPS.

Brick by nintendo update? Disable network altogether if you plan to play single player only.

Not sure how else you could brick, IF you don't mess with the hack part anymore and ONLY use CBHC.

Keep in mind that even if you brick you only have to replace the main unit box (100 $/€ on ebay). Still have to see a brick that's not user fault. Just be aware of what you do at all times and don't "patch" your WiiU in any other way.

Is that remote risk worth not enjoying a completely hacked WiiU from the moment you boot?

YOLO

Last edited by GBA rocks,

makke007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Brazilan install method or still Loadiine is the current methods. Together with Haxchi or ColdbootHax

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Once it is installed, no, you wont be at risk of bricking.
Unfortunately, that's not the case as so many people have found out. Granted, it's user error but the risk is real and shouldn't be dismissed, especially to someone that hasn't been following the development at all.

I would feel better recommending just Haxchi and then reading the forums as much as possible to brush up on stuff instead of jumping straight into coldboot.

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: