Gaming What's the best Final Fantasy game on PSP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lycan911

wolf boi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just like the title says. Looking for a beginner friendly Final Fantasy game. The only FF game that I had finished was Final Fantasy III on Android.

Hargrun

Support the arts! (The games, silly.)
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hmmm... The title says one thing, your post says another...

The title: The best.
Your post: Beginner friendly.

The best is a matter of opinion. Most FF games on the PSP are spin-offs and in my case, Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions is the best just cuz looks like a simplified version of Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together. (Quest devs~)

Now, the beginner friendly... Hard to say, cuz apparently you've played one. Since the FF III remake was made for a new audience. Well, the simplest are Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy II (being on the PSP the 20th Anniversary Edition).

Of course, if you are considering PSOne Classics I would recommend Final Fantasy IX. It's pretty neat.

Reactions: Lycan911

Yugimumoto1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just like the title says. Looking for a beginner friendly Final Fantasy game. The only FF game that I had finished was Final Fantasy III on Android.
i'm not much into final fantasy. however Dissidia was awesome and if you like rpgs check out persona 1,2, and 3. the all have a version for the psp. there fun and have difficulty settings so they won't be as hard.

ceifadorx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
final fantays iv complete collection is a good place to start. the game is very easy and has a good story. and many final fantasy games use elements of final fantasy iv.
final fantasy tactics is good, but very diferent that other final fantasy. is more a strategy game than rpg.

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FF1-4 have random encounters, and both dissidias are a steaming mess. I would probably recommend Crisis Core which I really enjoyed.

FranckKnight

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I love the FF1 PSP personally, they made it right for a game that was made almost 30 years ago. In that aspect FF4 PSP is 2-games-1-package, a true and tried formula. I'm not a fan of FF2 myself, so I skipped it.

FFT PSP unfortunately has lots of slow downs, which oddly enough were improved compared to the Japanese version :wtf: But new translation, content and FMV still make it a good pick.

Crisis Core is more of a FF7 pin off, but quite well made. That game managed to pull at my heart-strings with the ending, that I already knew what was going to happen, but DAMN if they didn't play it out to the last drop.

Dissidia doesn't exactly count as a standard FF game, but cross-over battler with plenty of nods to every game in the series, hard to dismiss it entirely. If you have one to pick between the two, go for 012 (Duocedim), since the entire story of the first is inside of the second game, so you won't miss anything important from the original.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
you have a rather big selection of ff games on the psp.
if you want easy, 7-9 are all mostly good, though 8 has a potentially complicated stat mechanic thats less user-friendly than 7 and 9.

1 isn't exactly hard, but its annoying in many regards, especially with random encounters (at times, you might battle something on every single step.)

2 is the furthest thing from beginner-friendly with its unintuitive character-development system and I would not recommend it to anyone.

3 you have already played. its ok. the remakes are all supposedly made to ease people into the game.

4 + after years... well, the main game of final fantasy 4 is easy for the longest part. things can get slightly annoying towards the very end. but its very doable. as for the after years, while the chapters of all the characters were mostly enjoyable, if not very repetitive after a while, the whole thing ends with an annoyingly long super-dungeon filled with countless boss battles and barely enough story to fill a napkin. its beyond frustrating since you have a giant selection of characters, most of which are really useless and half of which will be crazy underleveled by the final story chapter, forcing you to grind and grind and grind.... play the main game is what I'm trying to say here, ignore the after years.

5 can be played on gpsp kai emulator, though it'll run laggy at times, making frameskip a must. even then, the music will be crackling every once in a while, slowdown will happen when theres weather effects. its playable though. its not as easy as 4, but it has a class system that is comparable to that of 3 which can be enjoyable and makes the game very easy if you know what you're doing. might also make it really hard if you dont.

6 also on gpsp kai, same issues. it might even run a bit more clunky than 5. but its still playable too. there's the option to go for the ps1 version (which is the snes version basically) but that has ridiculous loading times for battles and battle animations. 6 starts off easy and gets harder as it goes along. personally, I've only bothered to finish the final dungeon once, since it forces you to use all your characters in split parties, even though half of them will suck and for a firsttimer, its easy to lose one character forever and never even find 3 of the others.
it does have one of the most enjoyable stories though.

7 graphics are terrible by todays standards, they really didnt age well, but its easy. by god, it might be the easiest there is, hidden bosses taken aside and all.

8 graphics are a bit better, but not too much. many people don't like the characters in this one a lot. can be easy if you're willing to spend some time playing the card-mini game to get lots of helpful items easy and early.

9 this is basically a back to the roots for the series, simplifying a lot again. its pretty easy, has lots of things for you to do and it looks rather nice, even today (since they went with a more cartoony world style). the characters are also more likable than 7 and 8s. you can basically finish the game with characters on level 5 or so, so that says a lot about how easy it can get once you know a few tricks. it does require a lot of micro managing with support abilities and worn items to be easy though. you'll also spend stupid ammounts of times, stealing items from bosses.

then, theres dissidia, which is a final fantasy themed 3d beat em up. some love it, some hate it. it certainly has frustrating moments.
if you wanna give it a try, just go for 012 duodecim. it basically includes the original game and has more characters and story

crisis core is probably uninteresting to people who dont care about ff7, but it is also easy (if you dont aim to finish all missions and such) it also has difficulty options if you look for a really easy game. it does look good too. very good.

type-0... i'd say its too complicated to be easy. looks cool, but the cramped controls (lots of R+some button to dash, to avoid, to block, L+other buttons, to do this attack, that attack, reflect, L+R+ button to summon something, use special magic, items blabla combination stuff... too cramped up for me) really hurt the game.
characters in this are also plentiful and they all kinda suck. which is terrible, considering the world they build up in this game is very interesting...

final fantasy tactics - never got into it. battles took forever, you always miss your targets, they always crit you. didnt have any good experiences with this. its a tactic game. if you like them, you'll like this. if not, you wont, not much at least.

final fantasy tactics advance (gpsp kai) on the other hand is easier, less annoying in the hit and miss department and mostly, you have different races which make your guild more colorful and interesting. boss battles and the rule system can be annoying at times. story is kinda meh.

and i think that could be all of them

my recommendations: play 9, then 6, then crisis core, then 7 and maybe 5. then pick whatever.

Lycan911

wolf boi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well you already beat 3 so play crisis core and dissidia. I personally would stay away from 4 play it on the ds the PSP version is garbage. Other than that I loved 1 and 2 on the GBA so the PSP versions are fine.

I started playing IV on my DS, and then my brother broke it, so I'll probably continue it once I get a 3DS.

Lycan911

wolf boi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Let's do this! :3

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1429814631551.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1429814631551.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 415
Reactions: VinsCool

Deleted member 361703

GBATemp OldFag
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I started playing IV on my DS, and then my brother broke it, so I'll probably continue it once I get a 3DS.
My condolences its sad to see a ds go, while your at it you have ps1 classics as an option like 7,8,9 if you have a hacked PSP/vita I reccomend playing 6 on the GBA because load times are different on other systems. Have fun! :)

GameSystem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It might just be me, but I don't think you should play Crisis Core before regular FFVII.
Also, whatever you do, don't play Crisis Core on hard mode. It took me like 3 hours to get past the intro. It's THAT stupid. You can't skip cutscenes, so when you die (you will), you'll be forced to sit through the same thing over and over again.

Lycan911

wolf boi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It might just be me, but I don't think you should play Crisis Core before regular FFVII.
Also, whatever you do, don't play Crisis Core on hard mode. It took me like 3 hours to get past the intro. It's THAT stupid. You can't skip cutscenes, so when you die (you will), you'll be forced to sit through the same thing over and over again.
It's a prequel, so I don't see why not?
Also, I learned this the hard way just now: Save on every save spot, always xD I literally just died like 2 meters away from the save point ;-;

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Well you already beat 3 so play crisis core and dissidia. I personally would stay away from 4 play it on the ds the PSP version is garbage. Other than that I loved 1 and 2 on the GBA so the PSP versions are fine.

Uhh ohh i think ur eyes are broken ;o
Not sure what's to dislike on the PSP version cause its actually the.... best one.... :/
Upgraded visuals and After Years is with it too, so...... i don't think the DS port can top that.

Lycan911

wolf boi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Uhh ohh i think ur eyes are broken ;o
Not sure what's to dislike on the PSP version cause its actually the.... best one.... :/
Upgraded visuals and After Years is with it too, so...... i don't think the DS port can top that.
The DS and Android ports are full 3D remakes with voice acting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM