What word have you been pronouncing wrong for a long time?

Jacklack3

( ゚ヮ゚) buddie was here
OP
Trophies
Website
jackomix.neocities.org
XP
Country
Canada
I used to say "Singer" like "Seen-er", and I wanted my friend to list a random singer for me to impersonate, and they were like "wut?" and I thought they were dumb... but i was thi dumb one. :o

What words have you been pronouncing wrong for a long time?

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GIF. Since Obama pronounced with a hard G, it somehow was made official that said pronunciation is correct. I refuse to accept that, still going with the "J" sound in GIF. I will admit that someone I respect has always went with the hard G, and gradually I've let that slip. So maybe at some point I'll always pronounce it "right," but for the time being, nope.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
GIF. Since Obama pronounced with a hard G, it somehow was made official that said pronunciation is correct. I refuse to accept that, still going with the "J" sound in GIF. I will admit that someone I respect has always went with the hard G, and gradually I've let that slip. So maybe at some point I'll always pronounce it "right," but for the time being, nope.
I, for my entire life, always assumed GIF was pronounced exactly like gift, but without the final "t"

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Most words with "i" and "e" in them. I speak French, and these words always (and still do) confuse me when try to talk.
Regarding this statement, it's not exactly how I meant to word it.
When I talk, normally, I usually remember the correct pronunciations, almost naturally.
It's usually when I read that I tend to make the mistake. That must be an instinctive first language habit. It's kind of hard to mind yourself to read a "e" like your native language "i", and then read the "i" like your native language "aïl" :P

Last edited by VinsCool,

Beerus

Gbatemp's God Of Destruction
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I used to say "Singer" like "Seen-er", and I wanted my friend to list a random singer for me to impersonate, and they were like "wut?" and I thought they were dumb... but i was thi dumb one. :o

What words have you been pronouncing wrong for a long time?
lol this reminded me of the h3h3 podcast wit post
for me it was specific i said it like pacific

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

oh dont tell me those hoity-toity little creatures acted all superior in like every gif thread because you don't pronounce gif like jif. like if the creator of GIFs wanted it to be pronouced jif then spell it JIF,

Reactions: Jacklack3

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
It IS with a hard G, it's Graphics Interchanged Format, so you pronounce the G like you would when saying graphics, not jraphics:P

I, for my entire life, always assumed GIF was pronounced exactly like gift, but without the final "t"
That's how you pronounce it though...

For me it used to be the word "literally" because I would always stumble when saying it and give up resulting in something that sounded like "lit-ra-lee":rofl2: Got over it after a while though so never had that problem again.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh dont tell me those hoity-toity little creatures acted all superior in like every gif thread because you don't pronounce gif like jif. like if the creator of GIFs wanted it to be pronouced jif then spell it JIF,

It IS with a hard G, it's Graphics Interchanged Format, so you pronounce the G like you would when saying graphics, not jraphics:P

That's how you pronounce it though...

For me it used to be the word "literally" because I would always stumble when saying it and give up resulting in something that sounded like "lit-ra-lee":rofl2: Got over it after a while though so never had that problem again.

I'll still pronounce it as JIF, it kind of doesn't matter because I never say the word out loud. I never have, there was never a scenario fitting it. In my mind, when I think to myself, yeah, "JIF," but in text conversation, a majority of my communication, pronunciation doesn't matter. As I said earlier, someone I respect uses the hard G, and if I permanently favor that in my own usage, then it's because of them, not Obama, or the creator of GIFs, nobody else, but that one person.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I'll still pronounce it as JIF, it kind of doesn't matter because I never say the word out loud. I never have, there was never a scenario fitting it. In my mind, when I think to myself, yeah, "JIF," but in text conversation, a majority of my communication, pronunciation doesn't matter. As I said earlier, someone I respect uses the hard G, and if I permanently favor that in my own usage, then it's because of them, not Obama, or the creator of GIFs, nobody else, but that one person.
True, who even says "GIF" out loud?:P And even if you do, I doubt anyone would care enough to object to how you say it, GIF or JIF (which is an actual file format and is the actual name of JPEG).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup