Hardware What will happen with nintendo (?)

Essometer

Needs data
Trophies
Website
none.de
XP
Country
Germany
iFxlRgFpLGJtZ.gif

Reactions: osirisjem

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
45 euros > 61 euros
45 dollars > 61 dollars

But yeah, if you convert them, they are about the same amount. But then at that rate, our 60 dollar games would be 80 for them. :huh: Be grateful you don't have to convert currencies when you buy a game.

...I don't think you understand how currencies work.

Reactions: weavile001

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
Of course, that's exactly what I see my 8 yo brother doing... but no.
Don't confuse the teenagers and pre teenagers public with kids.
The public below 10 yo won't probably even know what kind of game are those,
but ask then who is Mario and everyone of them will know.

Mario is nowadays more popular than Mickey,
that alone shows how popular the franchise still is.
It doesn't sell ok on WiiU because nothing really sells fine on WiiU.
The marketing for WiiU is bad, and the title is misleading to most consumers.

I'm not confusing kids with teens, I have four 8-year old cousins and a 5 year old nephew who loves Mario, Minecraft, ect but those games barely catch their attention for more than a few minutes. They only want to play Gears, Halo, CoD and GTA. Don't get me wrong this is disturbing those games a kid should not be playing but there are more kids than adults, especially on GTA V online.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yeah, we get ripped off here in America; be grateful you don't live here.
I'm sorry, but I have to strongly disagree with this statement. The Eurozone is and always has been on the sh*t end of the spectrum in terms of software and hardware pricing because manufacturers and publishers take advantage of the users and instead of applying conversion rates, they simply slap on a good-looking or worse, a common pricetag completely ignoring currency.

Examples? The Wii U launched for $299.99 (Basic Pack) and $349.99 (Premium Pack) in North America, but £250 (Basic Pack) and £300 (Premium Pack) in the UK. Looks like less, huh? Except it isn't - £250 is $408.60, £300 is $490.32, I sh*t you not. The PS4 situation is even worse - it lauched for $399 in North America and £399 in the UK - that's $652.12, almost twice as much for the exact same hardware, and nobody will convince me that it's a matter of logistics costs because the consoles are manufactured in Asia anyways.

1$ equals £0.61 or 0.73€ but this conversion rate is globally ignored for whatever reason, and it's even worse in Australia where aditional taxes inflate the price even further since the Australian government appears to hate video games.

If I could buy consoles for North American prices, I would - I wouldn't even think twice. If you think you're being robbed, try doing your shopping in the Eurozone. ;)

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry, but I have to strongly disagree with this statement. The Eurozone is and always has been on the sh*t end of the spectrum in terms of software and hardware pricing because manufacturers and publishers take advantage of the users and instead of applying conversion rates, they simply slap on a good-looking or worse, a common pricetag completely ignoring currency.

Examples? The Wii U launched for $299.99 (Basic Pack) and $349.99 (Premium Pack) in North America, but £250 (Basic Pack) and £300 (Premium Pack) in the UK. Looks like less, huh? Except it isn't - £250 is $408.60, £300 is $490.32, I sh*t you not. The PS4 situation is even worse - it lauched for $399 in North America and £399 in the UK - that's $652.12, almost twice as much for the exact same hardware, and nobody will convince me that it's a matter of logistics costs because the consoles are manufactured in Asia anyways.

1$ equals £0.61 or 0.73€ but this conversion rate is globally ignored for whatever reason, and it's even worse in Australia where aditional taxes inflate the price even further since the Australian government appears to hate video games.

If I could buy consoles for North American prices, I would - I wouldn't even think twice. If you think you're being robbed, try doing your shopping in the Eurozone. ;)

Well... now you know why I don't buy any games new. If developers would lower their prices, I'd consider buying them new. I save money so I don't have to pay these ridiculous prices, be it here or the Eurozone. ;) I always thought the European currencies had better exchange rates than ours. Hmph. I'm pretty sure there's some article somewhere stating that more people will buy something if it's of good quality and affordable. (Guess that rules China out...)

Edit: They ignore the global conversion rate. That's just greed. At least people like you wouldn't ignore it when you sell a game.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well... now you know why I don't buy any games new. If developers would lower their prices, I'd consider buying them new. I save money so I don't have to pay these ridiculous prices, be it here or the Eurozone. ;) I always thought the European currencies had better exchange rates than ours. Hmph. I'm pretty sure there's some article somewhere stating that more people will buy something if it's of good quality and affordable. (Guess that rules China out...)
They have a better exchange rate, they're much stronger currencies than the dollar which is why pricing something at around 200 bucks, 200 euros and 200 pounds is unfair since 200 euros and 200 pounds have more value than 200 dollars. ;)

As for "buying new" my policy is "buy new when you know you'll like the game and you want to support whoever made it", otherwise I'm getting games pre-owned.

Reactions: calmwaters

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey people fun fact even a game sold at half the price isn't guaranteed to sell. If your argument is "Wii U games are cheaper" than it really doesn't help the console still clearly.

So why are we even talking about this?

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey people fun fact even a game sold at half the price isn't guaranteed to sell. If your argument is "Wii U games are cheaper" than it really doesn't help the console still clearly.

So why are we even talking about this?

Even your socks sold at half the price aren't guaranteed to sell. And if your argument is that they're cheaper, then it still doesn't really affect your financial status.

Yeah, you're right; really can't tell where this is going.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Many have said $250 would be their target price. If Nintendo would do this for a few weeks? Even one week. I think Nintendo will be okay. Games are starting to come out. I played Madden 25 on PS4 and realized I hate the PS4 os, and the games/controllers are cool but I don't want to pay a monthly fee to play online. I played pc games online for free years ago. Nintendo will have more good games I like rolling out soon.

Mario 3d and Windwaker hd for Christmas and will continue from there. Games have souls on Nintendo. I cannot get that on any other platform. Maybe others will come around later.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it has been a year since the Wii U came out. I highly doubt anybody still believes the Wii U is an addon for the Wii, especially with the new xbox being Xbox One and it selling way more.

If poor sales were based on people thinking it is an addon, then why did the Xbox One sell overtake the Wii U near instantly.

Wii U
Xbox One

both are spelled in a way that people should have also confused the Xbox One for a addon too.

I do not see the Wii U picking up much sales now that Xbox On and PS4 are out other than a short temporary sales increase each time a good exclusive comes out.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
it has been a year since the Wii U came out. I highly doubt anybody still believes the Wii U is an addon for the Wii, especially with the new xbox being Xbox One and it selling way more.

If poor sales were based on people thinking it is an addon, then why did the Xbox One sell overtake the Wii U near instantly.

Wii U
Xbox One

both are spelled in a way that people should have also confused the Xbox One for a addon too.

I do not see the Wii U picking up much sales now that Xbox On and PS4 are out other than a short temporary sales increase each time a good exclusive comes out.

It's not about the name, it's about advertising your product correctly.
What would be the add-on Xbox One? It's crystal clear to anyone that it is a new console.
WiiU has not much advertising and many parents confuse the console for the controller, and that would be a add-on for Wii.

Everything said, it's not because it's title is misleading that the console sales are bad.
3DS had the same problem, but with some AAA titles coming it made a huge success.

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem with the wii U name is that inspite of its success the wii brand does not have the image Nintendo was thinking when they kept it.

Lots of the people responsible for the sales of the wii were people who probably only played wii sports and never bought other games. With core gamer audience the wii brand means waggle and outdated graphics.

It is great that the wiiu works with all the wii accessories, but the wii brand is not helping to move the new console.

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The problem with the wii U name
I think the name is "awkward". Wii 2 would have been better.
I don't think the name is the big barrier. The problem is the console itself.

The main problem with the console is Wii Gamepad sucks. It's not good for Call of Duty and it's not good for Wii Sports.
It's good for nothing.
Second screen gaming sucks.
It's not useful, it's confusing.

The whole idea is a failure.

The "big" difference between the Wii U and the Wii is the gamepad ... and since nobody wants it ... why upgrade your Wii to something you don't want ?

Add in:
They tried to target gamers, and gamers were not interested.
Nintendo themselves had trouble programming the Wii U (slow to release titles).
Didn't get Mario Kart 8 out for Christmas.
The Wii menu is embarrassingly slow.
Third party developers aren't interested.

Now add in:
PS4 + XB1 are now out.
It's essentially over for the Wii U.

Besides a small fanbase that would buy a Nintendo console almost regardless, the only people that will buy the Wii U are people who couldn't get a Next Gen console because they were sold out.

Good IGN discussion on the Wii U
http://ca.ign.com/videos/2013/12/04/game-scoop-the-state-of-the-wii-u

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think the name is "awkward". Wii 2 would have been better.
I don't think the name is the big barrier. The problem is the console itself.

The main problem with the console is Wii Gamepad sucks. It's not good for Call of Duty and it's not good for Wii Sports.
It's good for nothing.
Second screen gaming sucks.
It's not useful, it's confusing.

The whole idea is a failure.

The "big" difference between the Wii U and the Wii is the gamepad ... and since nobody wants it ... why upgrade your Wii to something you don't want ?

Add in:
They tried to target gamers, and gamers were not interested.
Nintendo themselves had trouble programming the Wii U (slow to release titles).
Didn't get Mario Kart 8 out for Christmas.
The Wii menu is embarrassingly slow.
Third party developers aren't interested.

Now add in:
PS4 + XB1 are now out.
It's essentially over for the Wii U.

Besides a small fanbase that would buy a Nintendo console almost regardless, the only people that will buy the Wii U are people who couldn't get a Next Gen console because they were sold out.

Good IGN discussion on the Wii U
http://ca.ign.com/videos/2013/12/04/game-scoop-the-state-of-the-wii-u

There is so much wrong with this post:

- The gamepad definitely does not suck. It sucks for Call of Duty? That's opinionated. Even then, the WiiU Pro Controller is available. And second screen gaming is not confusing. Hell if that was true, the DS/3DS wouldn't be successful. If you want good games, Rayman Legends, ZombiU, Lego City Undercover, Zelda Wind Waker for example. All use the second screen beautifully.

- The WiiU menu is definitely not slow. At first it was, but not anymore. Hell it's faster than my PS3. And it's about as fast if not faster than 360's OS.

- Nintendo didn't have trouble programming for the WiiU. They said they underestimated how long it takes to make an HD game.

- Remember when the Wii was out, every analyst and user in the world said that it was over for Nintendo because PS3 and 360 were out and offered bigger and better games. Yet Nintendo destroyed those 2 in terms of sales.

ShinyLatios

Not Quite There Yet
Trophies
Website
www.eonaegis.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I wonder why people continuously argue about this. the whole idea of console wars is stupid.
It's fine to have your favorite console, just don't shove it in other people's faces. many games are cross-platform anyway, and while some people may argue that other consoles can run things better... if you want the best power, just go for a PC.

You buy consoles for the exclusives. Simple as that. PS4/Xbone don't have anything special going on for me on the exclusives side, so I'm going to stick to my Wii U and not buy any other console at this moment. I'll just enjoy my Monster Hunter game, my zelda game and my Pikmin 3.

Besides, off-TV play is way too convenient for me :P

tl;dr: If you want power, go for PC instead. If you want exclusives, go with whatever console has those exclusives. simple as that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1