What websites do you not use ad blocker on?

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
From the beginnings of times (well... perhaps from 200X) until ~2015, I used it on everything.
Then from that date until now, I avoid using it on gbatemp and youtube.
Lately I think I come to gbatemp to wander around only to generate revenue for the old gramps.
I guess I could program a bot to come and take a look at the ads... As long as I know, they will pay the same even if it is a "bot" watching them.

Reactions: Aerocool

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
None of them, I use an adblocker everywhere I can. Annoyingly I still get YouTube ads on my phone though.
From the beginnings of times (well... perhaps from 200X) until ~2015, I used it on everything.
Then from that date until now, I avoid using it on gbatemp and youtube.
Lately I think I come to gbatemp to wander around only to generate revenue for the old gramps.
I guess I could program a bot to come and take a look at the ads... As long as I know, they will pay the same even if it is a "bot" watching them.
Since nds-card is a sponsor, and their ads are always displayed on the site, I don't think they pay per view/per click, I may be wrong though. It's not like with regular ad networks where the ads are cycled so they need to pay per view or per click to make sure that they charge each of the advertisers the right amount based on how often their ad shows, the nds-card ad is always there.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They can, however that is considered fraud and can get people in trouble. Probably not you as the bot owner unless you are profiting from it but the site you reckon you want to help with it could find themselves troubled (to that end it is actually a fairly good black hat technique, though I imagine most doing it are mainly doing it to drive click through rates down rather than get the ad networks to revoke contracts).

Most advertising probably is fraud, and if not it is money laundering, but that is a different discussion.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Since nds-card is a sponsor, and their ads are always displayed on the site, I don't think they pay per view/per click, I may be wrong though. It's not like with regular ad networks where the ads are cycled so they need to pay per view or per click to make sure that everyone gets their fair share.
I don't know for sure. But TBH lately the ad I am getting the most is G2A.
And that describes how stingy I may be when I buy on Steam, looking for fishy gray area CD-Keys.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only site I don't block is GBAtemp.net

This site has given me so much I like to pay it back any way I can. It's like paying for video games, if you enjoyed it enough and put a lot of time into it then consider paying. I'd encourage the rest of you to follow in my example if you use this site as long as I have especially if it's helped you with homebrew needs.

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I whitelist Gbatemp only. Some sites that I visit use non intrusive layouts for their Ads but most of them are from Ad companies that doesn't check malicous Ads that force open a pop up or skip the site that I'm visiting to one with their Ad (most of them humour pages) sot that's why Gbatemp is the only whitelisted site.

Kurt91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only have it turned off for a manga-reading site that I like, because the way that it's set up, there's too many things that my ad-blocker can block by accident. For instance, a window pops up when you click "Log In" where you put in your name/password. My ad-blocker will keep the button to input the info from working. It also blocks the "Bookmarks" button for some odd reason, and will make the individual manga pages take an eternity to load.

Of course, once I figure out the settings to get that site working well, it's getting blocked too. I have a favorite site for watching anime, but they don't seem to screen their ads for viruses or stuff that can cause issues, so I only go there with an ad-blocker. It's a great site, has a TON of different series, a section for non-anime cartoons, a section for various movies, and everything runs smoothly. It's just the ads that kill it for me without an ad-blocker in place.

By the way, a little off-topic, but somebody mentioned using a bot to click ads automatically. I remember reading something that telemarketers aren't allowed to hang up the phone on you, and you have to be the one to end the call. I've been getting a ton of telemarketer calls lately, and have been considering a little get-even scheme.

I was thinking to make a series of short videos, something like thirty seconds or so of nothing important, and monetize each video so that an ad plays on each one, then finally make them all into a playlist. I could simply set the playlist to auto-play on a loop when a telemarketer calls me, then set the phone on speaker, place it on the desk, and leave. (They always seem to call me when I need to leave for college classes.) No, I'm not personally watching the videos, but somebody is stuck listening to them for a couple hours.

Since they're my videos, I'd potentially get the ad revenue from them, and since the ads come up often, it should add up. Is there anything wrong with my plan, from a technical or legal viewpoint? (Not expecting an expert legal opinion, just wondering if it's the same issue as the bot suggestion mentioned above. It would be nice to get even a bit of extra money to wear down my student loans.)

Last edited by Kurt91,
Reactions: Stephano

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
i only have kissanime/ gbatemp white listed.
kissanime because (forced to, just like some websites don't let you download unless you disable adblock on their ad site. that redirects you to the download sites.)

ads. are annoying ,i use adaway on my phone (rooted 6p) so i even use a patched YouTube apk so that i don't have to be bugged by ads in the middle of a video.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
wiiubrus appstore carries ads that have so far paid in total for the servers costs.. ty to any who allow it.. other than that i keep them blocked unless the site requires i dont.

Reactions: Mazamin

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I leave it on everywhere. Here's an important counter-point to the idea of turning it off because websites need the ad-revenue: Ad Block Plus actually does not block all ads by default. They have set a standard of so-called 'Acceptable Ads' that are not are not annoying an obstructive to internet browsing. https://adblockplus.org/acceptable-ads
So basically, ads that conform to the standards set for acceptable ads will, by default, still be enabled. So now the ball is in their court: conform to the standards for acceptable ads and I'll see them and the revenue is there, otherwise I'm blocking them.

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Non rooted android, and can't be bothered to install it haha.
I spend 95% of my internet browsing on PC anyway.
There is an app on the playstore (Here) that essentially implements an adblocker into the Samsung internet app. Works great for me. You just need to use the Samsung internet app instead of Chrome or Firefox or whatever browser you use lol.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Never used an ad-blocker. However I disable javascript on sites I feel like they are too intrusive with their ads (for instance video ads that play automatically) or I stop visiting those sites at all.

Nisem0n0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kissanime because (forced to, just like some websites don't let you download unless you disable adblock on their ad site. that redirects you to the download sites.)
You can bypass the kissanime antiadblock with ublock origin easylist option enabled or just get the Kissanime Essentials addon.

Reactions: leonmagnus99

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I'm in my birthday suit! Lol