Hacking What we know about RedNAND so far

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This'll be a post to list some DO's and DON'T's to help people plan ahead when setting up RedNAND and their games. I'll try to update this as I gain more info. This is a post I made on Reddit, I brought it here to build a discussion about it and hopefully build the list further with more facts.

NOTE: When I mention installed games, I always mean through the Brazilian method aka disc tickets

Facts about linked NANDS (Never formatted SysNAND)
  • DLC, Eshop games, and VC games can ONLY be played in RedNAND (Not in sysNAND)
  • DLC WILL disappear on the next bootup if you installed to Internal memory in RedNAND. Installing DLC to USB fixes this, but that means you'll also need to install the game to USB as well
  • Formatting RedNAND will brick RedNAND!!! But your sysNAND is still safe. You'd have to recreate RednAND
  • You cannot boot into vWii in RedNAND, it won't work. This also means that you cannot install Wii VC titles such as Super Mario Galaxy for instance.

Facts about unlinked NANDS (Formatted SysNAND)
  • DLC, Eshop games, and VC games can ONLY be played in RedNAND (Not in sysNAND)
  • DLC WILL disappear on the next bootup if you installed to Internal memory in RedNAND. Installing DLC to USB fixes this, but that means you'll also need to install the game to USB as well
  • Formatting RedNAND will brick RedNAND!!! But your sysNAND is still safe. You'd have to recreate RednAND
  • You cannot boot into vWii in RedNAND, it won't work. This also means that you cannot install Wii VC titles such as Super Mario Galaxy for instance.

Misc Facts about RedNAND (Unrelated to linked/unlinked)

• If you installed some games on SysNAND and decided to setup RedNAND, all your games will also be in RedNAND and the USB will be recognized on both NANDS. Any further installs will be unique to each NAND after that
  • If for whatever reason you want to format sysNAND to unlink NANDS, do this BEFORE you install games to your USB in RedNAND. formatting SysNAND will unlink any external drives and you'll have to reformat the USB in RedNAND, which means you'd have to reinstall all your games!
  • Saves will be accessible on both sys and red NAND if the games were installed prior to setting up RedNAND
  • Installing content with WUP Installer or SysConfigTool results in the same outcome, so use whichever one you prefer
  • Games can be downloaded from NUS and installed without a ticket on RedNAND
  • Standby function can't be used in RedNAND, disable it. Else you'll have to unplug the system to turn it off
  • As of now we're not entirely sure what will happen if you update RedNAND. For all we know it can result in bricking sysNAND. Only time will tell, and if formatting sysNAND beforehand will help or not

More info soon, still editing. Suggestions would be great, I'll add them to the list. Correct me on some of these if you can.

Last edited by MattKimura,

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • Games that you install in RedNAND can also be played in sysNAND (USB and Internal)
I think this may need some revision. I have thought that if you install games in redNAND with an invalid ticket, then it should not be able to play in sysnand. That is if you apply the Brazilian patch to the legit ticket then it is possible to do this.

Reactions: Quantumcat

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think this may need some revision. I have thought that if you install games in redNAND with an invalid ticket, then it should not be able to play in sysnand. That is if you apply the Brazilian patch to the legit ticket then it is possible to do this.
Thanks I'll add this info to the post. Whenever I mention installing games, I always mean the Brazilian method with disc tickets.

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anyone try booting a rednand from one wiiu on another wiiu? I have 2 at the moment but do not feel like going through the hassle of pairing a gamepad

AboodXD

I hack NSMB games, and other shiz.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Those are also facts about un-linked NANDs:
  • Games that you install in RedNAND can also be played in sysNAND (USB only, saves not shared)
  • DLC that you install in RedNAND can ONLY be played in RedNAND (Not in sysNAND)

Reactions: MattKimura

Dvdxploitr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have my NANDS linked and have no problem so far....with me having an 8GB Wii U, all my games are stored on USB...however, something else that can be added

Games downloaded from NUS will work without a ticket mod in RedNAND only....if you attempt to run these in SysNAND, it'll give an error about Nintendo ID being wrong

I have personally downloaded a few games using FunkiiU and installed them without swapping out .tik files

BIFFTAZ

Trophies
XP
Country
Facts about linked NANDS (Never formatted SysNAND)
  • Games that you install in RedNAND can also be played in sysNAND (USB and Internal)
This doesnt make sense. forget the USB part because thats true, but if you install something to rednand internal or sysnand internal, Whether they're linked or not will not show up on the other nand UNLESS the games were installed on sysnand internal before dumping sysnand to make a rednand image.

Installed mario party, mario bros u & sys config tool on rednand internal while linked & they never showed up on sysnand at all.

Last edited by BIFFTAZ,

Scoop111

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Somebody over at the RedNAND-Thread reported, that USB-installed DLC for Mario Kart 8 (in RedNAND) also works in sysNAND. Makes sense to me, at least if the game was installed before dumping and creating redNAND.
Because I've read several times, that the WiiU only checks tickets on installation, not when starting a game...

Edit: I just re-read the other thread and it seems, it only worked for that guy because he once puchased the DLC and later used a fake ticket on redNAND because he didn't want to enter eshop again to redownload. My bad...

Last edited by Scoop111,
Reactions: memomo

Ncm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have Mario Kart installed on USB with Brazilian exploit. So, if I install RedNand without unlinking my SysNand, and if I install a DLC for Mario Kart, save will be unique to each Nand right ? So if I play online, I can have two different save for the same profil ? And won't be a problem if I play with Mario Kart on sysNand if I already installed DLC on usb when I was on RedNand ?

geheim

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So DLC on the internal storage gets deleted at booting RedNAND, right?? Does this apply to legally bought and installed DLC on sysNAND as well?? (I mean booting up RedNAND deleting that DLC??)

AboodXD

I hack NSMB games, and other shiz.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
So DLC on the internal storage gets deleted at booting RedNAND, right?? Does this apply to legally bought and installed DLC on sysNAND as well?? (I mean booting up RedNAND deleting that DLC??)
When you install DLC for free in redNAND on the internal storage and reboot the system, all the DLCs will be gone, even the ones you purchased.

This doesn't happen when the game is on USB though. I tried it.

geheim

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
When you install DLC for free in redNAND on the internal storage and reboot the system, all the DLCs will be gone, even the ones you purchased.

This doesn't happen when the game is on USB though. I tried it.

Thanks, so if I install any DLC for free (eg. Hyrule Warriors) in RedNAND, my sysNAND installed legally purchased MK8 DLC will also be gone on sysNAND after reboot??

Last edited by geheim,

geheim

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Okay I understand, so that's no Problem for me ;) Then I'll just install free DLC on USB only and can continue playing my legally purchased DLC on sysNAND internal. Perfect :)
Thanks for your fast anserws @AboodXD !

dedChar

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

Not sure about this one. I have installed DLC on rednand on both Internal and USB Memory. I have not lost any DLC yet.

keine

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Games can be downloaded from NUS and installed without a ticket on RedNAND

@Dvdxploitr To make it simpler:
You can install unsigned apps on redNAND, like games/updates/DLCs/homebrew with a fake (not real) ticket.

What utilities are needed to do this?
Would a VC game like Super Mario Galaxy 1 without dump work?
How is the process different from Brazillian USB when using a proper rednand?

Last edited by keine,

Irastris

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What utilities are needed to do this?
Would a VC game like Super Mario Galaxy 1 without dump work?
How is the process different from Brazillian USB when using a proper rednand?

You cannot install Cafe2Wii titles such as Super Mario Galaxy on either redNAND or sysNAND. You'll probably get bricked by installing to sysNAND, and redNAND doesn't have vWii support. (Yet.)

As for installing titles on redNAND, it's not really different from the Brazilian method at all. Just install titles using WUP Installer Y Mod.

Reactions: MattKimura

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This doesnt make sense. forget the USB part because thats true, but if you install something to rednand internal or sysnand internal, Whether they're linked or not will not show up on the other nand UNLESS the games were installed on sysnand internal before dumping sysnand to make a rednand image.

Installed mario party, mario bros u & sys config tool on rednand internal while linked & they never showed up on sysnand at all.

You mentioned installing games to internal, and it being copied over as you create rednand. But what about USB installed games?

I'm planning on installing games on sysnand first, then creating rednand so that I can have two environments both with the same games. Playing non DLC games on sysnand and DLC based games on rednand.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: