what was the worst experience you had with a videogame?

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
describe your worst experience that you can remember..
or the worst game that you played
avoid telling about erased save games or bugs that prevented you from playing.. i am not looking for "broken games" i am looking for "worst experiences" on the game itself not in bad programming

i want stories about: disappointments with the game story, frustrating menus, game mechanics (for example repetitive tasks), too much hype and the game was not that good.. etc..

extra points for "there was this level so weird that i didn't wanted to play anymore" or "when i come across that npc he annoyed too much i stopped playing" stories

Last edited by migles,
S

Saiyan Lusitano

Not the worst but pretty bad - Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash without online players.

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
(Before i start this i would just like to clarify that i KNOW im in the minority for not liking this game but its still my worse experience)

So i bought Persona 4 on launch as a big fan of turn based RPG games like final fantasy and this was my first time playing a game from a SMT series and i had been hyped for it for weeks, maybe months. For me, being that hyped for a game was weird back in those days in comparison to now. All my friends were talking about it so i was right there, day 1 in the shop, got the special edition brand new, spent like £40 immediately came home to play it.

...And hated it. It was totally not what i was expecting and it felt like i had played 4-5 hours with nothing game wise happening. I hated the music, i hated the characters, i hated the fact that despite wanting to like it, i couldnt. Everything about it just did not click with me and i felt the biggest buyers remorse i have ever felt in my life. I was so empty afterwards because my friends all liked it and i couldnt understand why and it stopped me playing games for a while coz of how disappointed i was by it.

Reactions: migles

migles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
@Terenigma finally someone knows what i wanted! that's a really good example.

how was having hype for a game, weird? you felt it's not natural to fell anxiety for a game?

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got destiny release week, then got excluded from most of the content for not having ps+, and refused to get dlc due to pricing.
And later it was re-released for the same price I bought it but with all the dlc with it.

migles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I got destiny release week, then got excluded from most of the content for not having ps+, and refused to get dlc due to pricing.
And later it was re-released for the same price I bought it but with all the dlc with it.
sadly this is nothing unusual..
today i saw in stores they already accepting pre-orders for pokemon moon\sun i am gonna wait until i can get it for 10 euros.. for me it's not worth anymore get a game at launch, can wait some months and buy it at a decent price, until then i already got loads of games to play

Reactions: 8BitWonder

3DSPoet

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is more of a....um..wait...what? sort of thing...

Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night. Quite possibly one of the best games to ever wear the name. I poured HOURS into that game, trying to find every secret, every item...and thought I'd nailed it!

So I reach Dracula's throne room and...What? Trevor Belmont is the villain? No Way!!!! After a fierce battle, the once proud vampire hunter lay dead at my feet....game over, credits roll, the end.. The ending was a little depressing, but hey, anyone can be corrupted, right?

So literally YEARS pass before I hear about the "inverted castle" and I was like...huh??? Those stupid rings were entirely too hard to find! :D

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
The most frustrating a game can get to me is when it is highly unfair. Not difficult like, say, Dark Souls or Super Meat Boy. Unfair. Especially if it's for reasons that are in no way your fault, be it due to broken mechanics or random chance.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

The most frustrating a game can get to me is when it is highly unfair. Not difficult like, say, Dark Souls or Super Meat Boy. Unfair. Especially if it's for reasons that are in no way your fault, be it due to broken mechanics or random chance.
Super Meat Boy really? That game is a blast of fun to play, dude.

Anyhow, three of my worst gaming experiences were with Sonic 06 (full game -- the demo is pretty enjoyable), MindJack and Duke Nukem Forever. I refuse to play these games.

K

KingpinSlim

I have played a lot of games during my life that were simply bad, boring or just disappointing, but those were all completely unremarkable as in that there is nothing really interesting to say about them other than that they are just not entertaining at all, so i am going to talk about a game that signaled the demise of an entire company for me.

From the point of its inception to many years in the future, as a Franchise Final Fantasy was among the best RPG-series Japan had to offer.
The storylines set an example for what storytelling in an interactive medium should be and the Gameplay improved steadily improved upon a formula that was in danger of becoming stale.
Nowadays most gamers are very aware that "Final Fantasy" no longer actually stands for quality, but only for a company that lost all connection to its roots and for me it signalled the coming of the end.
The game i am talking about is Final Fantasy X-2.
This installment brought about changes that would anger fans of the series and impact all releases that followed after.
Without spoiling to much of the actual game itself the major flaws of this game can be summarized in three distinct categories: Story, Gameplay and Series-cohesion.

Story:
Final Fantasy X-2 was the first direct sequel to any Final Fantasy game by Square Enix and instead of continuing the story set by Final Fantasy X and elaborating on established themes Square Enix made it blatantly obvious that they did not know what actually defines good Sequels. The tone was changed completely and the dark and moody themes of Final Fantasy X were abandoned for a cheerful and bubbly story about three young girls, that just happened to be pop-stars, skilled fighters and explorers at the same time. To a japanese audience these themes of "Idol"-culture might have seemed a very natural development for female characters, but for western audiences this was an extremely bizarre turn in a Fantasy world with established lines of steam-punk and magic. Many connections to the original game were constantly alluded to, but the pay-off was minimal at best and inconsequential at worst. Square Enix stopped taking the storylines of Final Fantasy Games seriously and it shows. Final Fantasy X-2 was nothing more than a parody of Final Fantasy X.

Gameplay:
To establish WHY the Gameplay was lacking one has to establish what actually made other Final Fantasy Games work so well.
The themes of heroism, overcoming adversity and wanting to achieve higher goals is not just something that factors into the quality of RPGs, but into video-games as a whole.
Final Fantasy X-2 failed in these respects because none of the characters are in the least relatable, the levelling system is overdesigned and bloated and the item-system is nonsensical and convoluted. Equipping armor to protect ones character is natural to anyone who has played RPGs in the last two decades, but Final Fantasy X-2 replaced that system with costumes. These costumes would give the main-characters a cuter appearance, which might be of interrest to some, but it made absolutely no sense. These costumes would very obviously never have had any ability to protect the characters at all and instead of having a natural progression of improving gear, it was not readily evident what point any of these garments could possibly have. This ties directly into the class-system. There is none. No characters have any real classes anymore, but instead drew class-status from the ridiculous costumes. This was such a pointless and shocking departure from anything the player might have known up to that point that this alone made many fans recoil.
Gone were the days of free-roaming adventure with a real sense of exploration, since the gameplay, just like the story now became extremely linear and unique playthroughs were a thing of the past.

Series-cohesion:
Sadly Final Fantasy X-2 formed the press that every other Final Fantasy Game from that point would be minted on and with every pressing the flaws of the original would be worsened and a constant decline of quality was readily visible to anyone willing to see. Final Fantasy was from this point on only ever used as a Cashcow and the decline was steady and evident.

Last edited by ,

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sadly this is nothing unusual..
today i saw in stores they already accepting pre-orders for pokemon moon\sun i am gonna wait until i can get it for 10 euros.. for me it's not worth anymore get a game at launch, can wait some months and buy it at a decent price, until then i already got loads of games to play
just pirate it
I don't think Pokemon games really go down to 10 euros, though, good luck trying though!

teegeeack

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
world of warcraft. i could go on for hours trying to explain what was bad about it. but it's probably easier just to recommend googling "mmorpgs" + "skinner box."

migles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
just pirate it
I don't think Pokemon games really go down to 10 euros, though, good luck trying though!
i bought several pokemon games for 10 euros, but i mispelled "years"
when 6 gen was released, i bought pokemon black 1 for 10 euros
well, i decided i will pirate the shit of moon and sun, and when i find a really good offer i will buy the..
X was not worth the full price i paid for it, i am currently waiting until i see a very cheap Y in retail to join my collection

nickwhit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Clayton in Kingdom Hearts 1.

Im pretty sure Ive said enough for anyone who has played that game.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Clayton in Kingdom Hearts 1.

Im pretty sure Ive said enough for anyone who has played that game.
Nahhh, he isn't that bad. but I played the 1.5 remix version of the game.

I remember my young self playing one of the gremblins 2 game made by hi-tech and I always got fucking scared whenever a gremblin showed up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup