What was something you REALLY didn't like about older consoles but no one seems to mind that much?

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
Mine would be having the PS2 with only two controller ports instead of 4 like Nintendo consoles. You had to buy an additional peripheral to let other 2 people play.

Another thing would be the Game Boy's red LED to indicate power. It was never clear to me. I saw no difference from the batteries being half-empty to 5 minutes before the console would shut down. The first GBA was a load of bullshit for many reasons but they got the new way to measure battery life right.

D

Deleted User

Buying a memory card, I guess. For the longest time, I couldn't save my game at all on my PS2 because I didn't have a Memory Card. It took a while before my parents decided to buy me one.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Mine would be having the PS2 with only two controller ports instead of 4 like Nintendo consoles. You had to buy an additional peripheral to let other 2 people play.
suits the title perfectly XD i never played a game more than 2 players, and i didn't mind at all only have 2 ports
I saw no difference from the batteries being half-empty to 5 minutes before the console would shut down.
my gbc led would really dim when the battery was running low
however i believe this only worked with non rechargeable batteries, devices usually have a hard time figuring out rechargeable batteries charge due to the way they work, interesting article here, can't say for sure if its totally accurate\correct cuz i ain't technician: https://michaelbluejay.com/batteries/rechargeable.html

btw to the topic
what i didn't enjoyed about old consoles, the fact you needed a separate link cable not supplied when you purchased the game boy :C
my parents where "video games are evil, you shouldn't play with theese machines" kind of parents, therefore, i only got the link cable plenty of years later, and so many ocasions i wish someone in the school had the cable

D

Deleted User

PS2 DVD lasers scratching my brand new games.
Actually, come to think of it, a lot of us have problems with the PS2's design in some form or another. That system has had 3 examples so far.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Static on the screen, any sort of interference.... Other people are like "It looks fine, it's just a few random white dots?" I cannot stand that shit, or static in the sound...

Thankfully with HDMI it's all gone, clear and clean the way it should be :)

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
-PS1 and PS2 (and NES and SNES too) need an adapter to play games with 3, 4 or more players
-Memory Cards on PS1 and PS2, once you somehow lose it you lose your saves and you can no longer save
-(Does PS3 count as an old console nowadays?) The fact that you need to use a DualShock 3 or Sixaxis controller to play PS2 titles on PS3, because USB controllers don't work and PS4 controllers makes the PS3 crash (if wireless)
-The original GBA and DS design, clunky.

Reactions: 330

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Buying a memory card, I guess. For the longest time, I couldn't save my game at all on my PS2 because I didn't have a Memory Card. It took a while before my parents decided to buy me one.
This. I don't know how many times did I replay the first 5 hours of Wild Arms, until I finally got hold of a memory card.

What else...

From back when I was a kid, the not really hand friendly square borders of my Famicom controller... The fact that the controllers
were attached to the console. How could people put up with that?

The ridiculous dark non backlit screen of the GBA (but sure I'm not the only one).

The PoS original PS1 drive mechanism, where the center with metallic balls that held the CD in started to fall apart on its own.

How fucking loud the PS4 gets. Hell, I think I would shot it if I was not using noise cancelling headphones. Oh wait, that is not an older console.

How slow Sonic ran on my Megadrive, yeah I see some people are bothered by that today, but back in the day it didn't seem so.

The Mode button on the Sega Megadrive. Meeeeh.

The damn scanlines on the PSP-3000 (not so strong but also present in the other models). That shit drove me crazy.

The weird way the LCD on the DS Lite worked, I don't know how to explain this, but if you set it to brightness zero, it all looked right (albeit very dim), if you set it brighter, it is like black still looked kind of black, but then very dark grey now looked like light gray, and light gray also looked like light gray, and it all looked weird.

The idiotic fuse on the X360 wireless PC receiver that had no reason to exist, blew up often requiring you to solder a cable over it, what again means there was no reason for it to exist. Oh wait, not sure if this is PC or console related.

The classic ATARI2600 standard controller, what can I say, that stupid stick thingy left my hands full of calluses. It was uncomfortable, it didn't respond well, sure the alternative controllers were better.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why bump a general discussion type thing after a few hours?

"You had to buy an additional peripheral to let other 2 people play."
For all three games that supported it?
Also the four controllers thing appeared again* on the N64, well into gaming's existence/being big. Multitap (or indeed game carts with ports on them) had been around for a long time before then.
*between arcades and the Atari 5200 I am not sure what I want to call first/standard.

Anyway nothing really. Plenty of stuff I disliked at the time others also disliked. Most of my issues are with odd takes on history -- I still don't know where people got to thinking Sonic Adventure was good from. Several things have since aged very poorly and we have gained a small handful of new annoyances but for the question of the OP... nope, got nothing really.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Controller connector port pins bending or snapping off in those older 8-16bit consoles.

For me it was a guaranteed write off. For my older mates who could get it fixed it was no issue :(

Last edited by KiiWii,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The dreamcast controller looks like a boat! There is a reason why it IS ONE IN SONIC RACING TRANSFORMED! Why the wire comes out the bottom and has to curve around to the top! :blink:

Why did we need memory packs on nintendo 64 when the cart saves out games in the first place? What kind of memory card is that good for.

Reactions: KiiWii

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

Another thing would be the Game Boy's red LED to indicate power. It was never clear to me. I saw no difference from the batteries being half-empty to 5 minutes before the console would shut down. The first GBA was a load of bullshit for many reasons but they got the new way to measure battery life right.

Literally every other console of the time had 4 ports. Sony was being weird.

Mine would be stupidly long load times on the PS2. Some games would take an excessive amount of time to load. Xbox had load times, but they weren't as bad.

Another would have to be the sticks on every Playstation controller. I know the saying goes "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but they are so unpleasant to use.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The dreamcast controller looks like a boat! There is a reason why it IS ONE IN SONIC RACING TRANSFORMED! Why the wire comes out the bottom and has to curve around to the top! :blink:

Why did we need memory packs on nintendo 64 when the cart saves out games in the first place? What kind of memory card is that good for.
Not every game allowed for saves on the cart due to memory restrictions.

Reactions: DarthDub

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Literally every other console of the time had 4 ports. Sony was being weird.

Mine would be stupidly long load times on the PS2. Some games would take an excessive amount of time to load. Xbox had load times, but they weren't as bad.

Another would have to be the sticks on every Playstation controller. I know the saying goes "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but they are so unpleasant to use.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Not every game allowed for saves on the cart due to memory restrictions.
I never encountered such game :wtf:

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
-(Does PS3 count as an old console nowadays?) The fact that you need to use a DualShock 3 or Sixaxis controller to play PS2 titles on PS3, because USB controllers don't work and PS4 controllers makes the PS3 crash (if wireless)

Usb controllers work perfectly fine for ps2 games on PS3 here is a quick video of me using one to play Final Fantasy XII (sorry for the blurry video i smashed the camera on my phone lol)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame: