• Windows Movie Maker

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters
D

Deleted User

OP
Random question, sure. I was just wondering what people prefer. I love Sony Vegas and Adobe After Effects. I never got the hang of Premiere though. What do you people like?

Reactions: Davidosky99

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Avisynth
http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Main_Page
open source/Free, extremely powerful (not as good as after effects for animations and some of the effects it does but anything you can do in vegas or premiere or final cut you can in it), supports basically every video format in, write basically anything out, has a workflow I like (not timeline but clip based which helps for some things I like), usually gets features well ahead of other things (seam carving in video? Try 2008 http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=135735 ) and for restoring footage and making it look better it has some amazing gear ( http://avisynth.org.ru/mvtools/mvtools.html http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Nnedi3 .

The reason you might never have heard of it? You write scripts rather than click on a GUI. It works for me as that means it documents itself as you write with scripts, and can then remake projects or effects pretty trivially when you have new footage, or can go back and change individual elements
http://gbatemp.net/threads/be-a-great-video-maker-and-replicate-this-video-effect.360509/
http://filetrip.net/dl?SyDFQejFZH
All done with avisynth.

Reactions: Deleted User

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
but actually what matter the most is not the sofware but the user

A bad video editor will make for bad results, or if you prefer good software will not make a bad editor/producer good*, but if I am hamstrung by the software I am using then other things go out the window if I have deadlines or just don't want to spend 30 more hours on something. Windows movie maker has improved considerably since the earlier versions but if I had to use it I would probably stop after everything is cut approximately where it needs to be.

*I reckon with modern music generation algorithms you could probably get something done for music, can't wait until something similar exists for video and the obvious start is some of the motion detection stuff we see for security cameras. I don't know when it will come but given my CAD program will tell me I am being an idiot when designing something I can see it happen some day in my lifetime.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
Windows Movie Maker, because I can't justify subscribing to Adobe Creative Cloud for something i'd use a couple of times a year.

To be honest Windows Movie Maker does what I need to do, which is cut a few clips, edit them together and do a voice over.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to mess around with video editor/encoder/renderer Cause i used to record games from emulators playing Classic 8-bit 16-bit games, then dump the video with the emulator then try to encode them in HD. I have a youtube channel that people can see that i messed around with the video encoders. I even used graphic filters as well... But then i figured it easier to just buy a capture card, then playback emulator videos in full screen and Get HD Encoded Compressed mp4 Files. :)

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on what I need it for.

For 3DS videos, the quality is already shit, so I use movie maker. For Wii U videos and stuff that needs maximum quality, I use vegas pro.

For videos that require an overlay (2 peoples perspectives on something, for example) I use AVS video editor.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Virtual dub anyone?:creep:
It is a lovely capture program and my go to thing for that, and makes a decent output for avisynth. However editing in it for more than trimming a section out or appending another video is a pain. If you want something that simple but more geared towards editing then I suggest avidemux. Granted I would prefer to use vdub to windows movie maker.

If we are going other video editors then I suggest giving https://www.lwks.com/ a go.

There are also a few decent editors on Linux these days (and on the freeware GUI driven front probably better than windows), kdenlive doing very well for a lot of things I would want to do -- it is timeline based, can quite happily key (greenscreen) things, can do colour grading/correction and more besides.

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is a lovely capture program and my go to thing for that, and makes a decent output for avisynth. However editing in it for more than trimming a section out or appending another video is a pain. If you want something that simple but more geared towards editing then I suggest avidemux. Granted I would prefer to use vdub to windows movie maker.

If we are going other video editors then I suggest giving https://www.lwks.com/ a go.

There are also a few decent editors on Linux these days (and on the freeware GUI driven front probably better than windows), kdenlive doing very well for a lot of things I would want to do -- it is timeline based, can quite happily key (greenscreen) things, can do colour grading/correction and more besides.
I just like using avisynth to add filters to classic games. :D

HQx4 Genesis games :)

Here is a impressive video i found of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Is Encoded in HD 1080 (1920X1334) In HQX4 With enhanced ogm audio. It's over 2 GB and requires a way to play MKV Files It is possible to stream this video with the right video player.

CLICK TO SEE GREATNESS

Here is a youtube sample video of the same thing in 60FPS
Notice how good the video looks compared to original source.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I can't help but think nintendo switch online is the reason we did not get a gameboy/n64/gamecube
    mini classic edition
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i think it would have been impossible to see anything in a gameboy mini
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    well I meant that as a figure of speech
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could just rerelease a modern gameboy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    like the pocket analogue
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but nintendo licensed
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Aeiou backwards