Hardware What to look for in cheap but decent monitors for gaming?

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Right now I'm just using a 720p 30" TV (which kind of sucks). In January I'll be picking up a couple used 1080p monitors for $20 each (guy on Kijiji who's currently on holidays), but eventually I'm going to want a proper monitor for high end gaming, but I can't really afford to spend $1,000 on one. What do you think I should be focusing on when picking one out, or do you have any recommendations? Currently I have a Wii U connected to the TV, so multiple inputs and speakers would be nice to consider.

My build: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/8XXH99
AMD FX-8350
AMD R9 290 (x2)

Thanks.

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
What's your budget? How many inches monitor? I was looking for one too but the price range for the best monitor that i want starts between 270 euro till 1000 euro. However there are cheaper too, I was going for Asus VX238H, 166 euro full hd 23".

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I think you should at least opt for a 60Hz monitor with a response time of at most 5 or 6ms. Colours etc ultimately depend on your eyesight. IPS panels are preferred. Make sure you have enough graphics oomph to push those pixels even with a single R9 290, since CrossFire might not always be optimized.
Two R9 290s should be able to do 1440p or even light 4K.
Have a look at these guides anyway, should give you a rough idea.
http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2624-best-1440p-gaming-monitors-2016
http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2202-best-monitors-for-gaming-1080-1440-4k-and-ips-tn-panels

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
... I think I'm going to return it.

After closer inspection the text is a little blurry no matter how I futz with ClearType, and all 4K does is make everything really tiny, even if i try bumping up the size on everything. And I thought this was a 144HZ monitor but I was mistaken, it's only 60Hz. And I'm actually getting jutterryu video playback when it's full screen. Not something I'd like in a $500 (+GST+device protection) display. I'll return it, get a cheaper 1080P display with high refresh rate, then pick up a couple cheap matching displays off Kijiji to park on either side.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
... I think I'm going to return it.

After closer inspection the text is a little blurry no matter how I futz with ClearType, and all 4K does is make everything really tiny, even if i try bumping up the size on everything. And I thought this was a 144HZ monitor but I was mistaken, it's only 60Hz. And I'm actually getting jutterryu video playback when it's full screen. Not something I'd like in a $500 (+GST+device protection) display. I'll return it, get a cheaper 1080P display with high refresh rate, then pick up a couple cheap matching displays off Kijiji to park on either side.
Welp, guess we know why it was on sale :P

Edit: that's really frustrating, though, considering it has glowing reviews

Last edited by TotalInsanity4,

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Welp, guess we know why it was on sale :P

if you benefit from 4K and Freesync it's great.

But me? I'll just stick to ~1080p, and look out for a monitor with great contrast ratios and 120Hz+

I'm going to box it up then return it tomorrow

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Windows dpi scaling is still ass in a lot of cases. There's also no 4k 144hz yet, Asus has a prototype, but that's it. Also needs dp1.3 which only pascal and polaris have. dp1.2 (which the 290 has), lacks the bandwidth for it.

I don't put too much faith in reviews. User reviews are meh, so many people are blind are just don't see ghosting, backlight bleed or pixel overdrive or other issues panels have.

Paid reviews aren't much better. While some are great techinically the review samples are blatently cherry picked. Look at all the monitors using the AU Optronics 1440/144 ips panel. Practically every single review gets a great one, no dead pixels, no real backlight bleed or glow.

Users get them, and the QA is a trainwreck. Dead pixels, awful backlight bleed and enough ips glow you'd think you were staring at the sun.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Too big for me at 1080p. DPI will not be great at that size, so unless you sit a decent distance away, you'll likely notice individual pixels. For 27" I'd want 1440p.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you care enough about the gaming aspect, I would cross-reference any monitor or TV you select against the database at displaylag(dot)com. input lag becomes very real, and if you have even the slightest inkling toward timing sensitive games or competitive grade gaming at any point, the time spent ensuring you get something properly fast will pay for itself versus having to buy a separate display for the job.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs