What title (existing or imaginary) could really test your resolution to stay on 3.0.0?

Discussion in 'Switch - Hacking & Homebrew' started by cloudfe, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Mace_ya_face

Mace_ya_face Member

Newcomer
    Nov 5, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Can't really say anything. Years have ground away any concept of hype for me, even with Nintendo. I won't lie, I looked at nothing for BOTW or Super Mario Odyssey before they launched, because I honestly didn't think they'd be any good.

The fact that BOTW was very good, and Super Mario is near perfect, is the exception not the rule. Just look at Nintendo's history. It's littered with dog-shit land mines and games that amount to white noise. We already know that the BOTW formula and the grandeur of Odyssey will be thrown out. The one thing SEGA and Nintendo have shared over all these years is, regardless of weather it works or not, throw it out, proverbial babies and bath water too. Ya, we had Metroid Prime, GALAXY 2, and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, but one was an epic series of exploration games, the other was to cash in on a dying platform, and the last one was just an excuse to dry clean Luigi's overalls.

Thousand Year Door, gone. Super Paper Mario, gone. Well ya, Metroid Prime is gone too I guess. Wind Waker, gone (we all struggle to accept it, be we must. The DS ones are shite). Twilight Princess, gone. Sunshine, gone.

I guess the TL;DR here is, nothing, because Nintendo's output quality is nothing but a sin wave graph. Jaw-droppingly-brilliant, to, "oh ya, that exists", mediocre, to, "I need like ten showers", bad, and back again.

EDIT: Should also disclose that I'm one of those intolerable dicks who just bought a second Switch tablet, pre-loaded with 3.0.0.

Last edited by Mace_ya_face, Nov 12, 2017
  2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Splatoon 2 already made me update. Then the Octopath demo made me update again.
    I got the Switch to play on it. Homebrew (and piracy) is a bonus but not a requirement. I'm content with getting a second Switch later on if needed, but chances are there will be hacks for newer firmwares, it will just take longer.
    But what about BotW DLC Pack 2?
    Homebrew Tetris must be the best thing ever then :P

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Nov 12, 2017
  3. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Member

Newcomer
    May 14, 2016
    Italy
    The new Pokémon for sure. Even odissey,if I can't play under 3.0.0 I will update when I will finish mario Galaxy. I bought the switch to play the exclusive,not the emulator that I can have in any android tablet or pc or raspberry pi.

4. Polopop123

Polopop123 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 21, 2017
    Ireland
    Superman 64 Remasteted would be a must for me. Would be willing to trade my house, bank savings and one of my testicles to get my hands on that game

5. PaBo

PaBo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2009
    Gambia, The
    to be honest, odyssey is the most boring experience ive had on the switch and probably the most boring mario game since 3d world on the 3ds.

will sell immediately once im done with it.

CallmeBerto and Lacius like this.
  6. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I been updating my system since 3.1 was released, and continue to update until more features Is available that probably should have already been there, incomplete system releases, Nintendo probably did that on purpose. :glare:

Plus I got sonic mania. :ninja:

7. senas8

senas8 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 3, 2011
    United States
    Wow wow wow .. let’s not get carried away now. Lol.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  8. Thelonewolf88

Thelonewolf88 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 11, 2016
    United States
    I dont care, as I always buy more than one system.

9. Nah3DS

Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Feb 9, 2010
    Argentina
    The new Pokemon RPG

10. loler55

loler55 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 4, 2012
    Gambia, The
    already done with oddesey

11. Risingdawn

Risingdawn Tempallica

May 22, 2010
    United Kingdom
    I updated for Sonic, then Mario, next will be Skyrim followed by Xenoblade 2.

I will update with each game that comes out I want to play, that's the reason I bought my Switch, to play new Nintendo games not 20 year old ones I've played a million times already.

The only homebrew that would out-weigh new releases is frankly cfw and piracy. Even then it would have to be a FW capable of playing new games.

I was thinking of selling my 3DS just before a9lh and soundhax dropped and that was perfect, but it was also very lucky.

godstriker8, senas8 and CallmeBerto like this.
  12. Megadriver94

Megadriver94 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2017
    United States
    I don't have a Switch yet, but other than Super Mario Odyssey, I'd have to say a Quake 1 remake, System Shock Remake, Animal Crossing, or Smash 5

13. CosmoCortney

CosmoCortney The Hacker Furry

Apr 18, 2013
    Germany
    on the cool side of the pillow
    new f-zero. nothing else

PaBo likes this.
  14. johnbus

johnbus GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    United States
    I thought about this question for far too long before realizing what would make me update it. Although I know this is a real 'Hell freezing over' scenario:

RetroArch

If Nintendo suddenly decided it would be okay for a port to end up on their Online shop, whether free or for cheap, that would completely negate any reason I have for Homebrew of any description. I don't care about playing the same first and second party games I've been playing for far too long as it is. I just want the ability to play the games I already know and love at home and on the go. This would completely ruin any credibility Nintendo has for its hatred of all things emulated (except "Classic" systems), so it probably won't ever happen.

15. Somario

Somario Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 6, 2017
    Italy
    No one.
    Patience is the virtue of strong people

16. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It would essentially make VC pointless and also facilitate piracy. Not only will it not happen but it would not be in their own best interest to let it happen.
    But you might get the next best thing, a hub for Virtual Console games where you can purchase them as DLC instead of every VC being a separate release with a bundled emulator. That is the way I would do it but it remains to be seen if they will do it that way or stick to the old ways.

17. hexcode99

hexcode99 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 17, 2013
    United States
    +1

18. johnbus

johnbus GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    United States
    That reminds me of Playstation Home (and things like it) where you could play demos of real games as arcade machines in a virtual world.

While I remember loving the idea, the sheer cost and upkeep of creating a front end environment where all of the low-spec games can live as minigames hasn't been a financially viable business practice. I'd love it if it was (even if I had to buy old games as a Mii in a virtual FuncoLand knockoff), but prepackaged apps are the new norm since they are so cheap and easy to make.

19. froggestspirit

froggestspirit D/P/Pt Demix Guy

Jul 28, 2011
    United States
    I hope Nintendo is reading this, but a "trophy/achievment system" They could call them "Stars"
    Virtual console including GameCube
    Either through VC, or another "good" port, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2

20. Malcolm-X

Malcolm-X Member

Newcomer
    Nov 11, 2017
    Algeria
    So you don't want to play new version of the franchises you love because you're tired of them (calling them "the same") yet you want to play the older versions that you've played a million times and that can be emulated on a vast amount of systems (portable or otherwise)??? Really strange logic in my opinion.

Meriadoc and TheCyberQuake like this.