Hardware what the hell happened to my switch?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 27,473
  • Replies 175
  • Likes 1
D

Deleted User

OP
if i ship it to nintendo to get it repaired, anyone know how long it'd take to get it back? and how much it'd probably cost me? i haven't voided the warranty in any way afaik, and i'm not interested in hacking it so it's a clean system

gman666

Cubicle Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it has to do with the battery leaking... I think it has something to do with overheating. The heat sink and the fan are both located near the affected area and there is a metal shroud covering the internals . Either way Nintendo's manufacturer warranty doesn't cover physical damages.

D

Deleted User

OP
Wow. This looks very bad. Do you have brothers or sisters? Maybe one of them poured boiling water on it during those days. Maybe they tried to burn it. It also could be one of your friends. Maybe he jealous that you got a switch. So he decided to sabotage it. It also could be overheating. Maybe you blocked somehow the air holes.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so if we're certain nothing spilt, no one else in your place had an accident and just won't admit it to you, and it wasn't placed near any heat source, yes?

It does look like battery gunk...but it also looks like it fell hard on that back corner. If it's just the batter, then it might turn those parts of case brittle and could make it look like that. You might be able to return it to walmart, since it's only been two days and it's obviously a manufacturer defect and not your fault. Let them deal with nintendo. Sending it to Nintendo would take a couple weeks to a couple of months.

...what does the grey gunk smell like? anything?

Last edited by osaka35,
D

Deleted User

OP
Wow. This looks very bad. Do you have brothers or sisters? Maybe one of them poured boiling water on it during those days. Maybe they tried to burn it. It also could be one of your friends. Maybe he jealous that you got a switch. So he decided to sabotage it. It also could be overheating. Maybe you blocked somehow the air holes.
i have no friends lol and my sister is 25

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Okay, so if we're certain nothing spilt, no one else in your place had an accident and just won't admit it to you, and it wasn't placed near any heat source, yes?

It does look like battery gunk. It would turn the case brittle and could make it look like that. You might be able to return it to walmart, since it's only been two days and it's obviously a manufacturer defect and not your fault. Let them deal with nintendo. Sending it to Nintendo would take a couple weeks to a couple of months.
i got the switch from walmart over 2 months ago, i already have a couple dozen hours in it
Either way Nintendo's manufacturer warranty doesn't cover physical damages.
shit really? then i'll have to void the warranty or something and get a case mod

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shit really? then i'll have to void the warranty or something and get a case mod
OH now's an opportunity to get one of those really cool clear cases. Just...make sure the internals are cleaned up and aren't damaged. I mean, if the game plays and the battery holds a charge, probably not the battery...someone might have dropped it?

Reactions: ELY_M
D

Deleted User

OP
OH now's an opportunity to get one of those really cool clear cases. Just...make sure the internals are cleaned up and aren't damaged. I mean, if the game plays and the battery holds a charge, probably not the battery...someone might have dropped it?
i doubt someone just dropping it would cause those kinda of marks in that specific area

gman666

Cubicle Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might be able to claim it as a manufacturer defect but considering your not sure about the cause Idk whether they'll accept that. Maybe call their customer support and see if they'll accept it free of charge.

D

Deleted User

OP
Look at that white sperm on his switch.
And look at pictures of battery leakage. It looks just like that white jizz.
Melting wouldn't cause that white cream.

He can clean it off with baking soda.
it's not actually white, it shows up like that because of flash, it's just as gray/black as the original plastic under the paint

Reactions: hobbledehoy899
D

Deleted User

OP
The backplate seems to have melted. Buy a new one, and if it works fine, pray for it to do so for as long as possible.
i plan on getting one of those cool clear case mods at this point, i just gotta figure out where i can get one

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
it's not actually white, it shows up like that because of flash, it's just as gray/black as the original plastic under the paint
So then no battery acid?

It just melted? It looks like your switch has cracks. So you left it in standby mode and it melted?
Does it look melted? Can you clean that stuff off?

D

Deleted User

OP
So then no battery acid?

It just melted? It looks like your switch has cracks. So you left it in standby mode and it melted?
Does it look melted? Can you clean that stuff off?
i can't clean it off, because it's actually cracked, and in some places it's totally warped, check around the stand and the text under the switch logo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Are you going to bake yourself a cake?