Hacking What the hell did i do wrong ?

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I hope it's not me who gets it wrong but isn't the process like this?
1. Launch Gateway menu, choose "Backup system NAND" option, let GW backup your NAND
2. Pick "Format emuNAND" which then creates a valid emuNAND partition from the NAND.bin created in step 1?
No. The first step is not necessary to set an emuNAND partition.

gamesquest1 You seriously are a bloody ninja.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
yeah basically the backup nand, is intended so you can take that copy away and store in a safe place i.e on your computer, the format emunand also makes a copy but this isnt for safe keeping this one is to be updated in emunand mode, if you dont update in emunand it stays as a 4.x nand backup

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I hope it's not me who gets it wrong but isn't the process like this?
1. Launch Gateway menu, choose "Backup system NAND" option, let GW backup your NAND
2. Pick "Format emuNAND" which then creates a valid emuNAND partition from the NAND.bin created in step 1?
If he didn't do the backup before formatting emuNAND how could there ever be a valid emuNAND created?

Again, it could be me whose mixing something up here but those steps are even stated in the official statement on the Gateway 3DS homepgae, and that's how I always did it

You can create the emu without doing the backup first, as it simply copies the stuff from sys anyways. The whole "there needs to be a NAND.bin on the SD" is hearsay cargo cult.

That being said: If one doesn't do backups and saves them in different safe places they are on their own if stuff goes south.

edit: memo to self: refresh the frigging page before replying -.-

Reactions: gamesquest1

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I always took it like the Format EmuNAND option basically "extracts" the NAND.bin on the SD, I'm a dumbass in general tho, so yeah, no surprise there :P

Ka-Wing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I almost had the same f*cking problem. I copied the NAND backup to my PC and formatted my SD card and put it back in my 3DS, then updated my 3DS and it's on SysNAND 6.XX ever since that update with the EmuNAND came out. I still can't use my Gateway and am still looking for someone that can do the soldering work for me.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I always took it like the Format EmuNAND option basically "extracts" the NAND.bin on the SD, I'm a dumbass in general tho, so yeah, no surprise there :P
tbh i would guess a lot of people still have that NAND.bin on the card thinking its emunand lol, emunand is actually in a separate partition on the SD card

Reactions: bkifft

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
tbh i would guess a lot of people still have that NAND.bin on the card thinking its emunand lol, emunand is actually in a separate partition on the SD card
I don't have the .bin on my SD, I know that emuNAND itself is a partition on the SD card itself

phanteon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
farewell fallen soldier :(

i took a video of myself updating to emunand 8.1 just in case something was wrong, fortunately nothing did

adragon123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
put your big sd card into you computer and if its named gateway nand or emunand, then you can extract the nand from it using the emunand tool. the nand you extract can be used instead of and actual nand backup. after you extract, all you need to do is the soldering and flash the extracted nand to your sysnand

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry to hear your troubles, I feel your pain buddy! :(

Sure you did not update in Classic mode instead of the actual emunand mode cause classic does say GW3D in settings and that would update your systemnand, not your emunand.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Doesn't going into WiFi settings partially send you sysNAND somehow? Because I've heard people complain that they updated sysNAND because they did it without exiting and entering emuNAND.
That's the problem, doing anything in System Settings throws you back to SysNAND afterwards. I assume OP was looking for version string, went back from settings assuming he's still in EmuNAND and accidentally updated his SysNAND.

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So if checking the version itself throws you off Emunand, how can you even tell whether you're on it or not?

you just dont go back.... if you exit settings, you get back to sysnand and have to load emunand again, so what you do, is to go to settings, see you are on emunand, now you DONT EXIT the settings, but instead just update from within the settings

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Can the NAND.BIN gateway backup file be used to flash SYSNAND if it is ever accidentally updated or does it have to be a image of the EMUNAND?

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Can the NAND.BIN gateway backup file be used to flash SYSNAND if it is ever accidentally updated or does it have to be a image of the EMUNAND?

the nand.bin is your (emu)NAND backup, yes it can be flashed back to your nand with a hardware mod or injected into your emunand with emunand tools

Reactions: petspeed

Patuli

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Doesn't going into WiFi settings partially send you sysNAND somehow? Because I've heard people complain that they updated sysNAND because they did it without exiting and entering emuNAND.

This same thing happend to me, going to wifi settings from emunand send me back to nand.
I wanted to update to go back to the eshop for my fireemblem DLC maps, to try and finish the lunatic + after the update i was stuck with a 8.1 nand.
saved both the nand.bin 4.1 and the emunand.bin 7.1 with my working eshop purchases.

Today I say WTF at least i still have my legitimate purchases, I was so wrong; tried to enter the eshop from the normal 8.1 nand, and none of my purchases where there, my purchases, money and dlc's are gone.

The problem even if I have the nand.bin and the emunand.bin with working eshop, is that no one in Mexico (at least where i live Baja) does the
Nand Mode, so im screw.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
This same thing happend to me, going to wifi settings from emunand send me back to nand.
I wanted to update to go back to the eshop for my fireemblem DLC maps, to try and finish the lunatic + after the update i was stuck with a 8.1 nand.
saved both the nand.bin 4.1 and the emunand.bin 7.1 with my working eshop purchases.

Today I say WTF at least i still have my legitimate purchases, I was so wrong; tried to enter the eshop from the normal 8.1 nand, and none of my purchases where there, my purchases, money and dlc's are gone.

The problem even if I have the nand.bin and the emunand.bin with working eshop, is that no one in Mexico (at least where i live Baja) does the
Nand Mode, so im screw.

Well there go m8, sad news but could be a job opportunity there for you, you should be the first to do a nand back up in your area, get to know how to do it and bingo you might just be glad of it happening, makes some money on the side as well as fixing your 3DS! ;) :)

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You messed around too much before updating. Never do ANYTHING before updating. Just load GW, enter settings, check for GW3DSx.xx label and update straight away. That's it. And if it asks you to check any "tick here" boxes other than the firmware update box, check the box, disconnect your internet, let the update download stop, and then turn off your 3DS and start again.

What I do...
More or less idiotproof:

1) Boot into GW
2) Add internet settings in emunand
3) Return to sysnand and delete internet settings in sysnand
4) Change sysnand language to German leave emunand in English (you will have to reinstall blue card hack after changing language)
5) Turn off 3DS
6) Turn on 3DS and boot into GW
7) Go to settings
8) Check GW3DSx.xx label
9) Go straight to update
10) (Keep an eye out that language is in English and not German) and accept update
11) profit...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.