Hardware What storage media 3DS will use?

defor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It is interesting how everyone throughout the internet speculates about display type, controller type ("3D" thumbstick) and overall power of the system. However one thing is maybe even more important: what media Nintendo wants to use to store games?
Some kind of (reduced size) DVD? We know that Sony's approach was not a big win since UMD drive drains a lot of battery power (not mentioning the speed and durability). Memory cartridge like what has been used in DS? It is expensive and capacity is not sufficient for content in higher resolution. Or some cheap high capacity memory card? Or maybe everything will be a digital content distributed via internet and Nintendo's shop channel? Is it really right time to do it? How other distributors would react?
What do you think?

ilovengage

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I don't think that this is a topic that important. I doubt they'll use discs - they in mobile devices, so they will probably continue using memory cards like on the DS. They are not that expensive (they are not cartridges like on the GBA oder SNES) and allow high capacity, so they are the best medium for mobile gaming devices.

D

Deleted-247497

Lubbo said:
its going to have backwards compatability for the DS so it will probably be something similar
not necessarily, it could be 2 different ports, like how nds has a seperate gba port

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
my guess is some internal filestorage, 1 SDHC slot, and 1 gamecard slot compatible with both DS and 3DS gamecards(similar to how the GBA slot works with GBA/GBÂ games)

they no doubt learned from sony's mistake to never put an optical disk storage system in a handheld gaming device.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
defor said:
Memory cartridge like what has been used in DS? It is expensive and capacity is not sufficient for content in higher resolution.
Anything on the whole is expensive compared to the price of blank disc, dude. DVDs can be had for 25 cents a piece, retail.
You can get a 2 gig SD card for six bucks brand-name retail. Yes, relative to the price of a blank DVD it's a lot more expensive, but that's relative to twenty-five cents.
Do note that only the largest DS games hit 512MB, and that's only a small handful (3 or 4?). PSP discs have a max capacity of 1.8 gigs.

I don't see any problems with storage cost, especially with how cheap storage is for the manufacturers.

Porobu

Gbatemps Shiny Latias
Trophies
XP
Country
3sd cards
laugh.gif

Baneat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My money's on either : Carts as normal or a similar system to the PSPGo, with the games made available through the console/wii/computer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Can't wait for season 2