Question What resolution should screenshots be in older games when doing reviews?

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need help deciding what resolution should the screenshots be in when taking screenshots on older consoles. Unlike the new consoles, we don't have a dedicated screenshot button to take pics and share with ease, those come with predetermined sizes set by console settings. Older games are rather tricky and obviously don't have the more common HD resolutions we are using now, they are rather small in size. Of course using emulators, screenshots can be taken with simple use and clearity, no need to use a video capture device and perhaps screenshot pics from recording videos.

Basically I was curious on what resolutions should I be using? Honestly I dunno if you all are fine with the raw resolutions each game has, but some are just too small. Some examples.

• NES = 256X240
  • SMS = 256X240
  • SNES = 256X224 or 512X448 (Depending on the game)
  • GENS = 320X240
I just want to ask if is okay to double the size for these lower SD resolutions. I don't want it to be too small for viewing in the reviews, besides if I wanted smaller, I can use the thumbnail option right? :ninja:

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Umm which paint? The microsoft paint or the paint you told me to download? :wacko:

He means Microsoft Paint. There's also Paint 3D that is supposed to replace MS Paint in later versions of Windows, but even that program isn't as easy to use for the average Joe anymore. Even though I share the point that for any ADVANCED TASKS other programs are way more suitable, I still think if it does the job, leave it at that. In case someone wants to do more advanced tasks, you can still tell them "Man up and get used to Photoshop or Paint Tool Sai or Gimp or"... well you know what I mean.

I guess if you'd want to get into drawing or advanced image processing, you'd ask for that later on.
Though, what has been said about 3D graphics should be kept in mind in case you decide to work with newer consoles. Blujay is definitely right on that.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I personally prefer nearest neighbor when it comes to ps1 too, when playing on emulators :) (and then some fun CRT filters)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As a general rule.
As it would have come out of the console, give or take overscan. Sort any interlacing (dealer's choice, though probably best to avoid the hardcore scaling based ones and go for a blend or something).
Nearest neighbour (GIMP calls it "none" in the scaling interpolation section).
Different games within a console, and especially regions*, may vary considerably in their output format, occasionally even within the same game (usually something like FMV/cutscenes vs menus vs normal play but not always). That is also before we get to the likes of the original xbox having cables go up to 720p/1080i and some games (though technically not in PAL regions) going for it.

*to crop or not to crop bad PAL ports... I guess if you are not losing anything it plays.

Obviously if you are trying a fancy game specific filter then do that
for something like the SNES stuff.
For the widescreen mods, texture replacements and higher resolution rendering some emulators (and hardware) affords.
Equally if you are playing a game with a hack that realistically will need an emulator you are given some leeway.

CRT filters is a tricky one, for the science of it all
http://bogost.com/games/a_television_simulator/
In that case it is not so much an addition to/expansion of the game but a simulation of what it would have been like at the time.

As a general rule though you never want to deceive your audience. People are kind of used to stills looking better than motion so that is not so bad but for some of the rest of the things on here it could make for a radically different experience.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.