What Linux distro do you use?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 6,429
  • Replies 99
D

Deleted User

OP
Why did you need to lose all the data on your Windows partition? Isn't the best way to prevent having to lose data to just create an unallocated partition in Disk Management and install Linux alongside Windows?
Well, considering I didn't boot into windows until after Linux stopped working, I didn't realize that somehow the install was bad and deleted most of my files, like applications and stuff

HamBone41801

Vipera’s Alt
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To some, the main drawback is that they don't have tons of software in their repos. So it's not like Ubuntu or Arch where you have a million different text editors. To me, I am perfectly fine with that because it still has all the software that's needed for desktop use. Plus if they are missing something, chances are a quick suggestion will get that software added.
I actually suggested several games currently in the repos
is there a DE-less mode? I've never been fond of DE's for linux.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't stand using anything that's not Arch anymore, honestly. Easy to set up once you've done it a couple times, and I never have to deal with software so out-of-date that it's entirely useless. If there's a package I don't want to build myself, it's either in the official or user repositories, and if it's not there, it's simple enough for me to set up an AUR package for it. Currently using Cinnamon as a DE with mostly XFCE apps (terminal, Thunar, etc.).

I would advise against Antergos or other "easy-setup Arch" distros with their own repositories mixed in. For whatever reason, something always breaks, and it's well after you've gotten everything set up the way you like it.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I usually use Debian, because I love things to be stable and work well.
Of course you never package for the latest state of the art applications around, you only get the well tested and stable applications, so it may not look shiny for you.
I like simple things that look lightweight and work well, I go with XFCE for my desktop also.

Sometimes when I feel like testing latest things and see my system crash I install a Fedora distro somewhere, but the problem with those distros is they get support for very little time, as they quickly jump to next version with the latest functionality and leave previous versions behind.

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's cool as I used to use it but it was a bit to limiting for my needs
I have a Zorin VM set up just to use as a regular computer, so it doesn't get in the way. I'm currently finding my next development VM OS, and I'm thinking Arch may be the way to go for me...

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you even have Thunar managing the desktop icons?
I don't even have desktop icons enabled. The programs I launch frequently can all fit right on the taskbar, and when I need something else it's easier to just tap the Windows key and search the first couple letters rather than minimize everything and scan through a bunch of icons.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was just curious. I may consider switching to a different one depending on what people have to say. I do not want this to be a debate thread or why you should switch to Linux (even tho it is clearly obvious after trying it out), or anything about Windows/macOS.

I use debian & ubuntu, they are all pretty horrible though. I can never wait until I get back to something decent. To me it's obvious why you shouldn't run it.

You might not want this to be a debate thread, but then you shouldn't say stupid stuff like "it's clearly obvious" when it really isn't. You have to be a certain type of person to like Linux.

Last edited by smf,

CuriousTommy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use Arch Linux with Gnome 3 as my desktop environment. I used to use Ubuntu a long time ago, but Unity just felt more and more buggy than the previous version, plus I like the rolling releases.

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just curious. I may consider switching to a different one depending on what people have to say. I do not want this to be a debate thread or why you should switch to Linux (even tho it is clearly obvious after trying it out), or anything about Windows/macOS.

I didn't include a poll because I am pretty sure all of the distros wouldn't fit.
neither.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: downloading a couple of puyo puyo ds games