Hardware What is this? *Slim CECH 2501B Hardware

DrTonberry

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slim CECH 2501B - Blu-ray/HDD Metal Bracket.

DSCF4316.jpg

I figured I'd update this in case anyone else came across this problem. This part goes on the bottom part of the case. Underneath the steel motherboard enclosure, and is a part that goes in front of the blu-ray disc drive. In the next picture, for your visual reference, I have incorrectly placed it on top of the HDD enclosure instead of under it-- where it is supposed to be. I later put it under the enclosure.

320gb CECH 2501B - A glance inside. Very different from the SUR & DYN motherboards:

Slim2501_B.jpg

Here is a SUR-001 motherboard. Lots of assembly/disassembly videos all over the internet for it:

Slim_Vid.png

As you can see, this particular model is a lot more complicated than the 120gb Slim models that people make videos of. My advice: If you aren't prepared to work with a short lens cable on your BR drive, and you aren't willing to take the risk of damaging that cable during reassembly, then avoid cleaning/modding the 2501b model at all costs. I found an incomplete disassembly video for my model, but he only showed disassembly up until he got to the BR Disc drive.

I simply cleaned the fan, and now the PS3 will not turn back on. I have sent it to a repair shop. Had I known the inside of the 320gb Slim to be very different than the 120 gb Slim, I would've never attempted to clean it.

The biggest difference in the two models, in case you didn't spot it-- It's where the blu-ray disc drive goes. That disc drive will not go back into place so easily on the JTP/JSD motherboards. You'll have to disassemble the BR disc drive to reattach the lens cable (directly under the disc drive) to the mobo and then back to the lens. A lot more work than cleaning the older CECH 2001 & CECH 2101 models, right?

Oh yeah and here's more info. This particular model, CECH 2501b... the lowest possible firmware is 3.60. As well as being a bitch to clean and to reassemble, this model is also not as hackable as the older Slim models (for now). So you should avoid the PS3 models that were manufactured in April 2011 and beyond.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's this metal part, it's the only thing I didn't put back-- because it came off when I was cleaning the dust out of the case.

your image is broken,

so you took apart your ps3 and left out some parts when you put it back together? that's your problem right there, put all the parts back in your PS3 and it will probably work again.

DrTonberry

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe you can check youtube for a video about PS3 disassembley, maybe you will find out what that part is.

I've watched several videos on Slim dissassembly (Otherwise, I wouldn't have attempted this), which is why I came to GBATemp, because usually, if I need information, I can count on GBATemp to give reliable information.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've watched several videos on Slim dissassembly (Otherwise, I wouldn't have attempted this), which is why I came to GBATemp, because usually, if I need information, I can count on GBATemp to give reliable information. This place has successfully helped with different Nintendo consoles, this is my first time messing with the PS3. I have gone over the videos several times trying to find out where the part is. I've searched Google images for a 'ps3 slim parts diagram' and found no info on this part. I now turn to GBATemp. If I find nothing here, I'll go ask PS3Hax.
To be honest, gbatemp is a terrible place to ask for PS3 help.

Does the system works before you clean it, before that metal part comes off?

Reactions: DrTonberry

DrTonberry

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest, gbatemp is a terrible place to ask for PS3 help.

Does the system works before you clean it, before that metal part comes off?

Yes the system worked before I cleaned it. :) I got bored with my games and decided to take a risk to extend the life of the console. If I failed (Like I did), then I was going to pay for repairs. Since I have nothing but free time to learn, I figured I'd proceed carefully. I'm pretty certain I didn't break anything. Regardless, I took a lot of pictures as I went so I could backtrack, and it was still fun.

I had a repair guy tell me that this part goes on the case, before you put the motherboard enclosure back in. It goes on the black plastic case, and sits under the front of the Blu-ray disc drive. :) It fits in place where the hard disk drive's screws go. Also, I found out that for my specific model, the CECH 2501b, the motherboard is set up completely different than other 2010 Slim models. My 320gb Slim model mobo is a pain, the Blu-ray disc drive's lens cable is very short and requires me to disassemble the blu-ray disc drive to reattach the lens cable.

I really wasn't prepared to deal with this particular model, maybe if I owned a 250gb CECH 2002x then I would've been because there are a lot of videos on the internet that cover the disasssembly and reassembly of those models. In short, if it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: