dude1

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
its the same size as a dvd same dual and single layer capacity except any educated tech specs or review calls it a wii media drive or Wii Optical Disc ect.
also with the dvd enhanced wii coming in 2007 with dvd functionality and the are saying its not upgradeable in firmware for older wiis
so is it a dvd drive or what

neojei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe I read that Nintendo struck a deal with Sonic Solutions for the DVD software... so maybe it could be updated some how with just software?

dude1

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
according to what ive heard from a nintendo rep, my friend who works at the local ebgames and attack of the show
software/firmware wont do it wether thats a choice of nintendo or a incapability of a new drive i dont know thus the original question

edgeblade69

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I believe Optical Disc Drive is just a generic term for any type of disc (non-floppy) drive. My guess would be that the person(s) in question didn't know what to call it.

To be more accurate, it is a proprietary DVD drive, from my understanding. I.e., it won't read standard DVDs, only specially encoded ones (Wii games, GCN games [which are proprietary mini-DVDs]).

dude1

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I believe Optical Disc Drive is just a generic term for any type of disc (non-floppy) drive. My guess would be that the person(s) in question didn't know what to call it.

To be more accurate, it is a proprietary DVD drive, from my understanding. I.e., it won't read standard DVDs, only specially encoded ones (Wii games, GCN games [which are proprietary mini-DVDs]).
no as far as i know they are regular mini dvds with data written backwards similar to xbox and drive firmware determines they direction the laser reads outside to inside or vice versa
so technically its not a proprietary drive just software if its anything like a gamecube or xbox
which is good that means firmware official or otherwise could unlock dvd functionality
if it was a proprietary drive the dvd option might not be built in at all to mod with firmware
which would be bad, also it could possibly use its on disc format and backups of future wii titles might never happen but thats a lot of speculation and getting into the category of wii hacking so il stop there
so far it look like il have to wait for my wii to come in to find answers to these questions unless someone has some insider info
any body here dismantled a wii yet, the ps3 already has been

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Loading screens are inevitable but on the Gamecube, some of the loading times on some Nintendo games were non existant. It's the third party games that still show the loading times. BRING BACK CART SYSTEMS I SAY. Just kidding. Anyways, I was reading something about Sonic Solutions might bring out a new model of the Wii that will play DVDs in the later half of next year. I'm guessing it'll be like the Panasonic Q where it will be a limited run.

DarkMatt

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The DVD's spin the same way as any other machine (including DVD players), but the laser reads from the outer track to the inner ones, like an LP instead of inner - out like a CD. At least that's how I understand it, from everything I've read
smile.gif

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the japanese version of the wii is going to be able to play back dvd's. but if this is anything like the GC then the dvd's will spin in reverse.

The gamecube drive does not spin in reverse (if you own a gamecube, pop open the drive while a game is running and check for yourself).

As for dvd playback:

"A Nintendo spokesperson confirmed that Nintendo plans to release a version of the console with DVD-Video playback capabilities in Japan. The spokesperson also stated that releases of the DVD-Video capable version in other territories are not currently planned." from the wiki article about the Wii (it is referenced if you want to follow it through to the original article).

And I guess the discs themselves will be similar to how the GC's discs were written (outside -> in, this has the advantage that data can be accessed quicker), can't see Nintendo straying too far from that setup given the design similarities between the Wii and GC. Going with proprietary tech just increases the price and either digs further into consumers and/or Nintendos pockets.

kelvinate

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
didnt they just confirm they will be releasing a dvd play for us versions as well.

anyone know if this only includes a software upgrade or an actual unit upgrade? I want to buy the wii now, but it would be nice to have dvd playback

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte