Hardware What is the transfer speed while using microSD Management for N3DS?

Kirbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to know if the transfer speed is fast or slow because, I don't want to unscrew the back cover each time I want to put something inside my micro sd card.

Kohmei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've done some tests with a UHS-3 card and you can read from the N3DS at an average of 900 KB/s, and write to it at an average of 260 KB/s.

It's slow. It'll be nice for updating launcher.dat, update cias, save games, etc, but if you want to install some games, especially large amounts of them, you'll want to just unscrew the damn thing

Avalynn

I'm here to learn and help.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Soo with my network I was averaging a write of 2.5 MB/s not to bad if you don't have massive things to copy over. The speed will largely depend on your network infrastructure and SD card.

Kohmei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Soo with my network I was averaging a write of 2.5 MB/s not to bad if you don't have massive things to copy over. The speed will largely depend on your network infrastructure and SD card.
That's interesting, I wonder if there's something wrong with my network then? I know it's not my card

Were you using the official microsd management tool? Or the cia that's floating around? Or perhaps something else all together?

Kirbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks for letting me know the transfer speed. I'll keep this in mind when I transfer files. :)

Avalynn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's interesting, I wonder if there's something wrong with my network then? I know it's not my card

Were you using the official microsd management tool? Or the cia that's floating around? Or perhaps something else all together?
I was using the one in the system menu, Data Management -> microSD Management.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If you're using a wireless router provided by your ISP, then you're going to have a bad time. Transfer rates on those are commonly horrendous. Also, any other wireless traffic you have going on can contribute, and any interference that could be caused in your environment (microwaves, metal, cell phone close to router, etc.). Having a dual-band router can typically do away with most interference issues, but not all. As a first step you can try resetting your router to see if speeds increase.

It also depends on the type of card you have. They are a dime a dozen and it really comes down to how well it was manufactured. I've been reading a lot here of people that have "good SD cards" and are still having transfer issues.

D

Deleted User

Might be your bandwidth or something.

Avalynn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Signal strength, throughput, data rate, floor noise, number of other clients are sharing the connection, and all that play into effect. The model and firmware of your router could effect it too as that controls how all the packets are handled. As for SD cards I'm pretty satisfied will all my Sammy SD/microSD cards I've used for various things over the recent years.

Reactions: Deleted User

Kohmei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Signal strength, throughput, data rate, floor noise, number of other clients are sharing the connection, and all that play into effect. The model and firmware of your router could effect it too as that controls how all the packets are handled. As for SD cards I'm pretty satisfied will all my Sammy SD/microSD cards I've used for various things over the recent years.
I don't suspect my router as I have a HTPC that works flawlessly and I also transfer between other devices on my network much, much faster than I get on my N3DS.

I don't suspect my SD card because I get 35MB/s write speed on that when I plug it into my PC's card reader.

What encryption are you using for your network? I've got WPA2-AES going here and I'm thinking perhaps the encryption overhead on that is a bit higher than the other choices that are N3DS compatible. Also what size is your card? Mine is 64GB and I'm thinking perhaps the increased cluster size make writing slower (really grasping at straws here)

I'm really at a loss at what could be causing such discrepancy in speeds (ten fold, as it were). I live in a sparsely populated area and get a good signal on all of my devices, including the N3DS. Not that I expect you to diagnose my problem, I just find this pretty bizarre

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: morning fellas, it's my birthday