Hacking What is the possibility of ps2 on vita?

keven3477

Fresh Prince of Lemonade
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am planning on getting a vita soon and it came to me to ask if ps2 games are possible on vita via injection or emulation. I have not played much ps2 games and portable ps2 sounds interesting to me. Is it possible to inject ps2 roms on a vita ps2 games in the future like we do in Nintendo virtual console? Or is the vita strong enough to emulate ps2? Sorry if this is one of those noobish or annoying questions.

xXDungeon_CrawlerXx

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't think that the PSVita is able to run PS2 Games.
You need a Emulator for that and this won't happen, I guess.
You were able to play PS1 on PSP because it was natively supported

AtomSmasherMazionga

GBATemp Resident Atom Smasher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm no expert on this, by any means. Remember when everyone said "DS Emulation on 3ds is impossible" it is, on a N3DS. I can't exactly see PS2 on a vita right now, but given that the Vita can run PS3 quality games near perfectly, I don't see why It would be impossible, just that t may be a LONG while down the road. probably someone wold have to develop a flash card, or find a way to inject a PS2 game into a digital Vita game or something along those lines. Short answer: anything's possible with the means and the knowledge to do so.

Reactions: Bubsy Bobcat

Raylight

Paranoid Temper
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
its not possible not even low end pc's can run ps2 without issues and lag and low end is allot of power compared to vita..

Aren't there playstation 2 classics on vita, is it possible to inject to those and play like that.
no those games are ported/ remastered not emulated

Reactions: keven3477

keven3477

Fresh Prince of Lemonade
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its not possible not even low end pc's can run ps2 without issues and lag and low end is allot of power compared to vita..

no those are game ported/ remastered not emulated
yeah I just noticed now, I thought they were classics and the idea of injecting to them got me to not research very well.

but I still think that there might be hope for emulation.

Last edited by keven3477,

kirillov

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's not alot more powerful than a PS2 though. A 1ghz quad core ARM cpu can do 1gigaflop while the Emotion Engine in the PS2 is 6.2 gigaflops. The graphic synthesizer vs the Vita's quad core SGX543MP4+ can do 7.9gigaflops per core for a total power of 39.5gigaflops and does 125 million polygons per second. The Playstation 2 has a maximum polygon count of 66 million per second. What makes the Vita look so much better is it has newer features owing to being a newer gpu so it can do better texturing and pixel shading. In raw power it's not way more powerful its maybe about 1.5 times the speed. Better texturing and pixel shading can do alot for graphics along with much much more ram.

As for being against a PS3...the 39.5gigaflop GPU verses the 400 gigaflop Reality Synthesizer is not a battle it's blood bath. And don't even get me started on a ARM processor verses the Cell...

From: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/63974321?page=3

So if what's said above its true its a pain in the ass. Probably not impossible but really hard to get a minimal performance and of course not in a short time.

Of course i hope im wrong :P

Omer

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't think ps2 on vita is possible , even with emulation it will have a lot of issue and would be far from perfect

AtomSmasherMazionga

GBATemp Resident Atom Smasher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

define low end. my craptop, er i mean laptop, has a core I3 3110m (2.4 GhZ) and 4GB of RAM. and an Intel HD 4000 GPU. I can run nearly any PS2 game with no log, no speedhacks. only one I've EVER had trouble with is Gran Tursimo 4.

Reactions: Clousuke

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
PS2 will not be possible, no. The Vita simply isn't powerful enough to emulate it properly, mostly because the PS2's hardware is simply much more difficult to emulate in general. This is also why GC/Wii emulation is so much farther ahead than PS2 on PC, the GC (and Wii by extension, since it's basically 2 GC's duct taped together) used a simple PPC CPU whereas the PS2 has a "custom" MIPS "Emotion Engine" CPU.

There are no PS2 classics on the Vita, all PS2 games on the Vita are "remasters" and made to run specifically on the Vita, so "injection" wouldn't be possible.

As mentioned, the best we might be able to get emulation home console-wise is Dreamcast, anything passed that and you hit the power requirement ceiling.

guisadop

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
define low end. my craptop, er i mean laptop, has a core I3 3110m (2.4 GhZ) and 4GB of RAM. and an Intel HD 4000 GPU. I can run nearly any PS2 game with no log, no speedhacks. only one I've EVER had trouble with is Gran Tursimo 4.
What? I have an i5 2.4GHz and 4GB of ram with an intel HD graphics and I can't run a single ps2 game without lag. What trickery is this?

On Vita<-PS2 emulation: well, the Vita doesn't even have a functioning PS1 emulator at the moment, so...

Reactions: Raylight

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
On Vita<-PS2 emulation: well, the Vita doesn't even have a functioning PS1 emulator at the moment, so...
Erm, you're aware this has absolutely 0 to do with power and 100% to do with ePSP mode, right? Literally the only reason there's no PS1 emulator is because we still have no public ePSP mode exploit, that's it. Why would anyone in their right mind develop/port a PS1 emulator when there's one already on the Vita that essentially just needs to be unlocked?

Reactions: guisadop

guisadop

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Erm, you're aware this has absolutely 0 to do with power and 100% to do with ePSP mode, right? Literally the only reason there's no PS1 emulator is because we still have no public ePSP mode exploit, that's it. Why would anyone in their right mind develop/port a PS1 emulator when there's one already on the Vita that essentially just needs to be unlocked?
well, the 3DS has a native GBA emulator as well, but there's at least two homebrew emulators that I'm aware of.

Reactions: satan89

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
well, the 3DS has a native emulator as well, but there's at least two homebrew emulators that I'm aware of.
That's a different case. The native emulators on the 3DS are tweaked for each virtual console game (which is why some injected VC games simply won't work, or have sound/graphical issues), so homebrew emulators are needed in order to run every game.

The PS1 emulator in ePSP mode, on the other hand, will run nearly every single PS1 game without fail. There's no reason to develop a homebrew emulator when the one that's there simply works. Essentially all we need is an ePSP kernel exploit to get at it, however (obviously) developers are more focused on native Vita things first.

Raylight

Paranoid Temper
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
What? I have an i5 2.4GHz and 4GB of ram with an intel HD graphics and I can't run a single ps2 game without lag. What trickery is this?

ikr i cant get ape escape 2 to even run. i get 40fps at best. but ill be upgrading soon
Intel pentium 2020M (2.4 GhZ)
4gb ram
intel hd 3000

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

I have a laptop similar to yours and I can't run anything :(

Reactions: Raylight

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ShdwTakashi @ ShdwTakashi: pineapple belong on pizza? The answer is yes until proven otherwise