Hacking Homebrew what is the gp2x/gp32x?

phoood

taking it to a whole new level.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
basically, i've heard of it, but completely ignored it.

so what is it?
is there a difference of the two?
how long does the power last?
where can i find a place for more info to newbies like me? (for both)

looks nice, too.

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Click my sig and/or visit gp32x.com .
GP32 is the old one. It was made to challenge the GBA but was soon hacked. It was more successful with emulators and homebrew than it would ever have been with commercial games only.
That's why a successor was made, the GP2X. While the GP32 was made by Gamepark, the GP2X was made by Gamepark Holdings, a group that split off from the original Gamepark to create it. It uses Linux and is completely open so it supports homebrew and open source development. There are also some commercial games for it but that's not the main point. The GP2X is also a very good media player with a nice screen, sound and TV out.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering getting a GP2X mainly beause of the abilty to play more video formats. But I already own a PSP. What is the screen quality like on the GP2X? I'm not too keen on the price as it's quite expensive for what is essentially a homebrew machine.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The GP2X is great for playing .AVI files without having to convert them to mpeg4 (For playing on psp). I have one the V1 and the screen quality isn't 100% you can see the lines. The new version is meant to be a lot better. Its great being able to play a full speed megadrive/genesis and snes emulator all with sounds.

The GP2X even takes cheap SD media. I have the TV out leads so I can watch the GP2X on my TV. Its a shame they never included a rechargable battery pack with it. I use 2 rechargable AA batterys in mine. They last a few hours but with the release of newer firmware they could last even longer.

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Quality rechargeable batteries (2500 mAh) last about 4 hours. That doesn't sound like too much but the great thing is that you can just pop another pair in when your first one is empty.

I've also got an old model with the interlacing problem but the new ones should be fine. Picture quality should be pretty similar to the PSP though I haven't compared them as I own neither a PSP nor a new screen GP2X.

In the end of this year the final breakout box will be coming out which should be pretty interesting because it will make the GP2X work with lots of USB devices like HDDs and game controllers. Of course, it will also make it less portable...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just 6 but dual band 6 lol