Hacking Question What is required to write hello world on Switch console?

edepot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a simple question from a newbie. What are the basic requirements to get "hello world" text running on the Switch console?

Here are the known requirements:
1) Switch console (3.00 firmware or below)
2) Pokken game (to update to firmware 3.00)

What are the other requirments? I hope the developers are not forcing us to get a new computer and install Linux.
Is it possible to do it on a recent Mac computer or Windows 10? I also hope it is not required to install a dual-boot (Linux) on them or install whole operating systems running virtually on the machine.

On a Mac, for example, if you type cc (c compiler) on the Terminal for the first time, it will ask you to install the free XCode, allowing you to start writing code. Is that all is needed? Will the released SDK be compatible (source) for compiling on the Mac just by downloading and putting it somewhere on the Mac?

Reactions: CuriousTommy

DSpider

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
You could get a copy of Ubuntu and run it inside VirtualBox, or you could run the jailbreak through Cygwin on Windows.

But I'm not sure there's any guide for the end-user out right now.

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You could get a copy of Ubuntu and run it inside VirtualBox, or you could run the jailbreak through Cygwin on Windows.

But I'm not sure there's any guide for the end-user out right now.
Windows 10 has a Linux subsystem duh

operador7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
If I was you I would wait a bit more to see how everything it's going, a couple of days, and also I recommend to make a dual bot with Linux/w10.

edepot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like Windows 10 and Mac OSX Sierra (and OSX High Sierra) have built-in Linux/BSD support.
Did a look around and found these two links (all fairly recent and working):

Mac OS X: https://solarianprogrammer.com/2017/05/21/compiling-gcc-macos/
Windows 10: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/install-win10

First one will get modern GCC compiler working on latest Macs (which already supports BSD).
The other one will enable Linux on Windows 10 (does that come with modern GCC compiler?)

That means you can natively compile without installing Cygwin or a virtual machine (VirtualBox, etc). Will the switch homebrew devs support these native unix/Linux environments if they release the SDK?

Also, anyone know if it is considered legal (currently) to:
1) Jailbreak Switch
2) Releasing homebrew software for Switch

I think software was released for 1) already. So for certain countries (US only?) running the software is not legal but source code is ok? Also, is it legal to jailbreak mobile phones currently? These laws seem to change by the year. Mostly interested in the laws concerning 2) for binary or source, and what countries it applies to. It is sad that personal creativity is now so complicated by being controlled via paywalls or legal barriers

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I was you I would wait a bit more to see how everything it's going, a couple of days, and also I recommend to make a dual bot with Linux/w10.
What about "Windows has a Linux subsystem" don't you understand? I run Ubuntu bash natively now. No need dual boot OR a VM.

I HIGHLY recommend getting the Fall Creators (Creator's?) update first, and start with the app store install. Too many bugs with the (now older) command line installation method.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Just a simple question from a newbie. What are the basic requirements to get "hello world" text running on the Switch console?

Here are the known requirements:
1) Switch console (3.00 firmware or below)
2) Pokken game (to update to firmware 3.00)

What are the other requirments? I hope the developers are not forcing us to get a new computer and install Linux.
Is it possible to do it on a recent Mac computer or Windows 10? I also hope it is not required to install a dual-boot (Linux) on them or install whole operating systems running virtually on the machine.

On a Mac, for example, if you type cc (c compiler) on the Terminal for the first time, it will ask you to install the free XCode, allowing you to start writing code. Is that all is needed? Will the released SDK be compatible (source) for compiling on the Mac just by downloading and putting it somewhere on the Mac?
A web server and rudimentary HTML skills :P

Reactions: Shadowfied

dAVID_

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Oh perfect, another one of these threads.
Can't people understand that they will not be seeing homebrew in a lot of time? They announce one possibility of
a kernel exploit, and everybody's swarming in, asking if they can run games even though we don't know how
that works, because I'm just a regular user, who has no clue about anything tech related. BUT I still want devs
to work very hard and satisfy all of my needs, because they CLEARLY have all the time in the world to provide to
this community, and DON'T have a life outside of here.

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't people understand that they will not be seeing homebrew in a lot of time? They announce one possibility of
a kernel exploit, and everybody's swarming in, asking if they can run games even though we don't know how
that works, because I'm just a regular user, who has no clue about anything tech related. BUT I still want devs
to work very hard and satisfy all of my needs, because they CLEARLY have all the time in the world to provide to
Code execution is a thing ;-;

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Dude get with the times, people can now do code execution on the system thanks to Daeken.
It's all userland and works on 3.0.0 only using Rohan.

Why do you think he is asking for the requirements on how to write and run a "Hello world"?
Because the tools are already there, simply not as straight-forward of a process right now.

Last edited by ShadowOne333,

machinoman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to get it running all you technically need is an IP address to a test server with an nro 'hello world' app.

to develop such an app, and i don't think all the kinks are worked out yet, it would be easiest to set up a virtual linux system. setting up linux incredibly simple to do:

1. Download VirtualBox (free)
2. Download Ubuntu Desktop 16.04 iso (free)
3. Install VirtualBox
4. Create a new virtual machine by clicking New, and call it Ubuntu
5. Use all the default setup options, except choose at least 40gb of harddrive space (its virtual so it won't take up this much space on your actual computer unless you fill the virtual machine)
6. In Settings for your newly created virtual machine select 'Network' and make the first two network tabs look like this:

Adapter 1
Enabled
Attached to: NAT
Adapter Type: PCnet-FAST III (Am79C973)
Cable Connected

Adapter 2

Enabled
Attached to: Host-only Adapter
Name: VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter
Adapter Type: PCnet-FAST III (Am79C973)
Cable Connected

if i skipped sections they don't matter or leave them at default

5. Select Storage, click on Empty under Controller: IDE, then click on the CD with arrow pointing down icon to the far right and select the Ubuntu Destop iso you downloaded.
6. Click OK and then Start and follow the simple ubuntu setting up instructions.

Once Ubuntu is set up you can install the latest Node.JS by running
curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_8.x | sudo -E bash -
sudo apt-get install -y nodejs

Then follow the instructions somebody put above to run PegaSwitch:

Last edited by machinoman,
D

Deleted User

but machinoman as has been said many times why would one do this when win 10 with linux subsystem is option.

machinoman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but machinoman as has been said many times why would one do this when win 10 with linux subsystem is option.
Because while the Node.JS setup is straight forward on the Linux subsystem, creating and compiling NRO files may not be as simple. I created a 3ds app and had a lot of trouble setting things up to work in a windows environment. It is probably possible though, but people have a fear of setting up virtual machines and I wanted to outline that it is not as scary as they think.

Reactions: snoofly

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp