Hacking What is better Wiiflow or USB Loader gx v2?

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's the kind of question that will only start fists-a-flying... both loaders have their groupies...and some people like one out of spite for the other. i think both loaders should be able to get you to where you want to go....but....that said: i'm a Wiiflow guy. i was using GX until i wanted to have an updated Hermes set of cIOSes (namely 224[57]) for MHT.... that's when i switched to wiiflow. i think the newer versions of GX support Hermes v5, but i also think GX is buggier now. I also think that a Carbonik'd themed wiiflow is the prettiest loader available....so, until i find something that wiiflow cannot do that GX or any other can, i'm staying with it

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Yes, if the Wiiflow team still keeps the development of its loader private (it's been more than two months now), USB loader GX is the better choice.

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Personally I use USB Loader GX. Never had any major problems where I lost games, or could not play a game within a few days of its release (MPT was the last game like this).

But here's a novel idea. Unless you are hard up for space, why not give both USB loaders a go for at least a week. That way you will find out which loader is best for you, and not have to depend on the opinions of others. Just make sure you back up your NAND, savegames, games, and SD card files, just in case...

-[]D

wiimanofthenorth

Trophies
XP
Country
I myself have Wiiflow, GX, and CFG installed. And until I've made up my own mind, I'll skip between the 3. In the end, they all load games, they all pull in cover gfx, so which ever one you get working best for you. Use!... and if you get bored, you can jump ship and use a different one for a while.

For now, it's more down to are you going to use 222 or 249 versions depending on if your usb drive goes to sleep or not. 222 is better for sleeping drives that can't have the sleep mode turned off.

my 2 cents

Freek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for me personally its USB Loader GX v2...the original one didnt like my HDD

but for a while i used CFG loader cause it was the only loader i could get to work with my external HDD for some unknown reason...it wasnt bad but i enjoyed the ease of use that GX allowed

Wiiflow IMO is a great loader as well but it just wont work on my HDD...doesnt even see it let alone load any games off it...never been able to get it work

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have all 3 installed, I mainly use wiiflow, although the one thing I find annoying is you have to recompile it if you want to change the default IOS ( make ios=XXX ). you can still change it for specific games, but there isn't an option to change the one that is used by default like there is in GX

GX was my first loader, but then it started to get really buggy, crashing 80% of the time. But since 2.0 I haven't had any major problems with it.

I also use uniiloader and NANDEmu for the games that don't work well with regular USB loaders (metroid prime trilogy)

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
wiiflow here. I started out with GX, but back then, it wasn't what it is now (I'm assuming it can play forwarder iso's now).

As to play wii games...I think that with some configuring in advance, both can play just about every game. So basically, the difference is purely cosmetic.

bulletmark

Trophies
XP
Country
To be honest, the title of this thread perplexes me? I think GX and Wiiflow are inferior to CFG loader. CFG has more functionality, broader compatibility, better configuration, less bugs, better maturity, better and faster support - and, I think, looks better than the other 2 contenders.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
WiiFlow always worked better for me than USB Loader GX. It looks better, and it has great compatibility as well. Configruable USB Loader does have better customizing options, but in general terms, WiiFlow works great for me.

bulletmark said:
CFG *snip*, I think, looks better than the other 2 contenders.
As far as I'm concerned, anything on CFG USB Loader is inferior to WiiFlow in terms of eye candy. WiiFlow and its HQ covers, and crisp looks, destroy the look of CFG. But then again, it's your opinion, but I'm just a bit surprised myself by the comment, since the vast majority of people think WiiFlow looks better.

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Except for the base interface elements, all the loaders support themes, so I don't really understand the debate on which loader looks better than the others. I do recommend taking a gander at all the themes available for all the loaders over at the Wii Theme Repository at WiiSpiffy360 for a good comparison.

-[]D

xfcrowman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use both CFG and Wiiflow, but I have to say that I use wiiflow about 90% of the time. They have the same compatibility, so the only real difference is eye candy, with wiiflow looking a lot nicer than CFG.

When USB loaders first came out I used USB loader GX, but then switched once it became totally unstable.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bulletmark said:
Donkey Plonk said:
bulletmark said:
better maturity
Its more mature? Wiiflow is more childish?
Say what?
I mean it has been around longer, so is more developed and refined (IMHO). That is what "mature" means in English.
That's not maturity, that's age. Maturity is development by age. If things were better just because they were older, then this world would be very backwards.

Also, I prefer Wiiflow because it has a nicer GUI IMO, also it reads a few USB Flash Drives that USBGX can't.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse