OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
blhdz.png

Is this like a thing now and I've just missed it or is this a bug or something?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yeah see everyone is getting it now, but no one believed me when i got that shiz.

Lemme try this.

edit: not getting any screen.
SpiderBortz confirmed to awesome for confirmation screens

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Looking around it is either a bug in the forums caused by pressing the button before everything has finished loading (not sure what it would have been in that thread but in those with lots of images the last bits of javascript can come a bit later). That would probably also explain why it happened in the first days of the forum before it started to be optimised a bit more.

Personally I would have set it so that if someone did more than a given number of likes in a day that it came up as a soft anti abuse measure.

Reactions: B-Blue

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Looking around it is either a bug in the forums caused by pressing the button before everything has finished loading (not sure what it would have been in that thread but in those with lots of images the last bits of javascript can come a bit later). That would probably also explain why it happened in the first days of the forum before it started to be optimised a bit more.

Personally I would have set it so that if someone did more than a given number of likes in a day that it came up as a soft anti abuse measure.
Yeah, this is a result of late binding of events to buttons, coupled with gracefully degrading features for users with Javascript turned off.

A common practice in web development is to separate all JavaScript from HTML markup. This generally means setting event handlers using script and not in your HTML code. However, in order to set an event handler on something, that item needs to be loaded by the browser first, otherwise an error is thrown and script execution halts. To get around this, many developers will wait until the entire document has been parsed before setting event handlers. Thus, if you click before the entire document is parsed, the default action of the Like button (which is actually a link) is carried out as if your browser has JS disabled or does not support it.

Real™ developers can do this better. Click events and many other events propagate (or "bubble") up the document tree through the ancestors, firing the same event on each one until it gets to the root element or document object. If you set the event handler on the document object, then implement some checking code to see which element the event originated from, you can handle the event without having to wait till the page loads. XenForo's developers probably haven't thought of this, or don't think it's important enough to change how their event binding system works.

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can I just point out that this only happens exactly once to every user?
At least that's how it was for me. First time I liked a post with the new 'Temp, that popped up, and it never showed up again.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, this is a result of late binding of events to buttons, coupled with gracefully degrading features for users with Javascript turned off.

A common practice in web development is to separate all JavaScript from HTML markup. This generally means setting event handlers using script and not in your HTML code. However, in order to set an event handler on something, that item needs to be loaded by the browser first, otherwise an error is thrown and script execution halts. To get around this, many developers will wait until the entire document has been parsed before setting event handlers. Thus, if you click before the entire document is parsed, the default action of the Like button (which is actually a link) is carried out as if your browser has JS disabled or does not support it.

Real™ developers can do this better. Click events and many other events propagate (or "bubble") up the document tree through the ancestors, firing the same event on each one until it gets to the root element or document object. If you set the event handler on the document object, then implement some checking code to see which element the event originated from, you can handle the event without having to wait till the page loads. XenForo's developers probably haven't thought of this, or don't think it's important enough to change how their event binding system works.

I know it is a few days later but it would be rude to not reply.

Guess I have to stop saying "yeah I can kind of build websites" when people ask (about the only thing I can stand remotely tall on is that I find the occasions where someone would try to teach HTML and CSS as separate entities truly jarring). The main reason for actually replying is having now run with noscript, requestpolicy and a whole bunch of similar settings/addons in "a speedfreak would say "damn son, that is a bit paranoid"" mode for several years now I can safely say if a site still works at full functionality (give or take being able to do things on page without visiting a new one) without javascript and it is not something that obviously requires javascript and such like I consider it a truly good day.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm exempt from rules on limiting shit posts because my username isn't inspired by Pokemon, Naruto, Final Fantasy, Mario, Kingdom Hearts and my little pony.
Don't you mean or? I haven't seen anyone with the username RoxasPikaSephirothPeachSasukePinkyPie1337 yet.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Eevee
Moogle
Iruka
Goomba
Rainbow Dash
Eraqus

emigre. It all makes sense now.
Dang.

I know it is a few days later but it would be rude to not reply.

Guess I have to stop saying "yeah I can kind of build websites" when people ask (about the only thing I can stand remotely tall on is that I find the occasions where someone would try to teach HTML and CSS as separate entities truly jarring). The main reason for actually replying is having now run with noscript, requestpolicy and a whole bunch of similar settings/addons in "a speedfreak would say "damn son, that is a bit paranoid"" mode for several years now I can safely say if a site still works at full functionality (give or take being able to do things on page without visiting a new one) without javascript and it is not something that obviously requires javascript and such like I consider it a truly good day.
I agree; it's very important to work without Javascript. Many forum systems were built before the AJAX rush, so it's common for them to gracefully degrade anyway (and kind of expected). But for other sites, I'd always recommend coding for noscript users too.

This bug would be considered a low priority by anyone because it doesn't really affect anything and is only mildly annoying. In fact, I had a hard time getting a repro for this because the forums load pretty quickly, hence why only a few people have reported it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s