trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
#3 has been brought up by a lot of tempers, and both me and Foxi4 have again and again explained why it will never be possible. 3DS lacks the means to stream gameplay to Wii U, and Wii U lacks the means to have a high speed low latency connection necessary for a cartridge player. And no, USB ain't enough for this type of connection.

Both are hardware limitation that can only be overcome by a completely new models.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Anything downloaded from eShop or for VC should be tied to your account, NOT the console. It's a real turn-off that if anything happens to your console and it's either lost, stolen or damaged beyond repair, you lose everything you ever purchased. And you should be able to play any of your digital titles from any Nintendo console as long as you sign in. They should have an account infrastructure set up like PSN's.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
#3 has been brought up by a lot of tempers, and both me and Foxi4 have again and again explained why it will never be possible. 3DS lacks the means to stream gameplay to Wii U, and Wii U lacks the means to have a high speed low latency connection necessary for a cartridge player. And no, USB ain't enough for this type of connection.

Both are hardware limitation that can only be overcome by a completely new models.

Absolutely no disrespect towards you, but I'd say it's ignorant to say it'll never be possible. From our standpoint (yours and mine) the Wii U and 3DS obviously look like they were never meant to play nice with each other. They're certainly different. There's also no forward-thinking engineering in the Wii U that would allow for a "3DS Player" implementation like in the past with the GameCube and the High Speed Serial port that was eventually used for the GameBoy Player. Whether Nintendo had a GameBoy Player in mind at the time of the GameCube's development remains an unanswered question. I bring that up because as long as neither one of us has heard from an actual Nintendo engineer on what's possible, anything could be possible. You and I just cannot be 100% sure the USB ports on the Wii U wouldn't be able to support something beyond regular USB signals. Right now the USB port on the Wii U is used in a very simple manner. It doesn't even support USB controllers such as arcade sticks for fighting games like the PS3 or Xbox 360. So if Nintendo has a bigger perspective for the USB port on the Wii U, we just don't know what can be done with it.

Is there a "3DS Player" in the works? I don't know. Has Nintendo toyed with the idea, or even made a prototype unit? Again, I don't know, but I'm positive that's the case. So whether consumers will ever see a retail unit is not known. How it will work, using USB, or perhaps a special wireless connection to the GamePad, or an all-new 3DS handheld with streaming capabilities, that's everyone's guess. But just because there's no hidden "High Speed Serial" port like there was on the GameCube doesn't mean it's not possible. We'll just have to wait and see. I'd personally love to see a "3DS Player" as there are many games available for the 3DS that I'd like to try, but I'd prefer to play them on the big screen rather than a handheld. I'm sure Nintendo has identified there's interest like this between consumers, which would explain why they're first bringing DS games to VC to test the waters. 3DS games may be a bit too much for the VC to handle without extra hardware, so it remains to be seen where Nintendo is going with this.

Just my 0,02€. Again, no disrespect towards you. I fully hear you and understand your reasoning.

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anything downloaded from eShop or for VC should be tied to your account, NOT the console. It's a real turn-off that if anything happens to your console and it's either lost, stolen or damaged beyond repair, you lose everything you ever purchased. And you should be able to play any of your digital titles from any Nintendo console as long as you sign in. They should have an account infrastructure set up like PSN's.

Doesn't Nnid do this or at least set the ground work for this move?

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't Nnid do this or at least set the ground work for this move?
All I know is that your digital downloads are tied to the console and last I heard, the status quo hasn't changed. If they've started to move in the right direction, I haven't heard anything about it. But kudos to them if that's the case.

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am pretty sure I saw someone post they were able to restore from Nnid after having to replace a 3ds console, could be wrong.

All the stuff they have said about Nnid makes me think it's coming if it's not there yet. You can only log in on one wii u and a 3ds can only have one id. Seems like a model where a family shares a home console and each has there own 3ds

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1