Hacking what happened to my 3ds?

miamore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi. heres what I did.. I installed palantine CFW and playing .cia games without problems.. but then I tried installing RXEMUNAND to play legit games.. the installation went well. launch RX emunand. make sure that im on RX.x.X firmware. went to settings. update with the latest firmware. at 99% my pocket wifi suddenly went down due to low battery. The update had an error saying update failed. Then it resets. But after resetting I was kicked, but what seems to be an updated interface, im guesssing its the 9.7 interface. because it has themes and everything.. then what I want to do is go back to my 4.2 SYSNAND. tried powering off. but when I power on my 3ds. I'm on that latest 9.7 interface. tried reformatting my 3ds but still on that 9.7 interface.

tried accessing my settings. Im still on 4.2.0 system version. but on a 9.7 interface what happened? how to go back to my 4.2 interface?

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It sounds like you didn't set up an emuNAND via the gateway menu before booting into rxMode.

You say you checked it was on "RX.x.X" which concerns me. You're suposed to make sure it's prefixed with RX-E not simply RX.x.x the E stands for emuNAND.

It sounds to me like you just checked that it was prefixed with RX and went about your merry way, completely ignoring the letter after the hyphen. It was probably RX-S (S for sysNAND), and so you've gone and updated your system to an unexploitable version.

To make matters worse your update was interrupted and so you're left with this half 9.7 half 4.2 Frankenstein system.

The only course of action available is to boot into safe mode by holding L+R+A+Up on the D-Pad while powering on the system. Then update the system properly and completely to 9.7, if you don't want to be on 9.7 then sell it and buy a new exploitable 3DS.

Reactions: Loaffy

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel your pain... miamore. I updated my 3DSXL past 9.2 and had to find a new one. I highly recommend getting a new one and then selling the old one to Gamestop or local retailer. At least try to recover a small amount of the price you paid.

I always check to make sure RX-E is there before updating. Then when I get kicked back to sysNAND I check sysNAND to make sure I didn't goof.

Or you could update to 9.7 and do a hard-mod to use your 4.x backups and then back to 9.2. At least you have the backups of sysNAND, right?

Hard-Mod = solder a miniUSB port to 3DS PCB and then connect it to PC with SD card adapter. Many have done it. It is highly recommended.

Heck, I want to do it... just for safety's sake.

Or you could pay someone to do it... seriously. They will.

miamore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I feel your pain... miamore. I updated my 3DSXL past 9.2 and had to find a new one. I highly recommend getting a new one and then selling the old one to Gamestop or local retailer. At least try to recover a small amount of the price you paid.

I always check to make sure RX-E is there before updating. Then when I get kicked back to sysNAND I check sysNAND to make sure I didn't goof.

Or you could update to 9.7 and do a hard-mod to use your 4.x backups and then back to 9.2. At least you have the backups of sysNAND, right?

Hard-Mod = solder a miniUSB port to 3DS PCB and then connect it to PC with SD card adapter. Many have done it. It is highly recommended.

Heck, I want to do it... just for safety's sake.

Or you could pay someone to do it... seriously. They will.

So I did brick my 3ds?? I tried playing cart games. and it works without problems.., I think its not brick at all because it has all the functionality of a working 3ds.. also before i updated my RX EMunand I doubled check of its really RX Emunand and this happen..

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So I did brick my 3ds?? I tried playing cart games. and it works without problems.., I think its not brick at all because it has all the functionality of a working 3ds.. also before i updated my RX EMunand I doubled check of its really RX Emunand and this happen..

No. You updated it. If you consider an updated system a brick, then you bricked it.

Reactions: Margen67

miamore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It sounds like you didn't set up an emuNAND via the gateway menu before booting into rxMode.

You say you checked it was on "RX.x.X" which concerns me. You're suposed to make sure it's prefixed with RX-E not simply RX.x.x the E stands for emuNAND.

It sounds to me like you just checked that it was prefixed with RX and went about your merry way, completely ignoring the letter after the hyphen. It was probably RX-S (S for sysNAND), and so you've gone and updated your system to an unexploitable version.

To make matters worse your update was interrupted and so you're left with this half 9.7 half 4.2 Frankenstein system.

The only course of action available is to boot into safe mode by holding L+R+A+Up on the D-Pad while powering on the system. Then update the system properly and completely to 9.7, if you don't want to be on 9.7 then sell it and buy a new exploitable 3DS.
thanks for the input this may be the case. I tried playing cart games and it play everything without problems. I'll try what you suggested.. LOL i like what you said half 9.7 half 4.2.. a 3DS with 9.7 interface with a 4.2 system. I'm not considering selling but. just like what you said. its a frankenstein 3ds. it would be fun to play with it and see what can be done or maybe I can discover new things with it.

No. You updated it. If you consider an updated system a brick, then you bricked it.

a brick is something you cant use or do something about it. thats why its called "brick" right? maybe its half bricked

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
do you

a brick is something you cant use or do something about it. thats why its called "brick"

Of course I know what is a brick, but you got me guessing there what you meant when you replied "So I did brick my 3ds?" to a post that clearly stated that you had just updated your sysnand to the last version.

miamore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Of course I know what is a brick, but you got me guessing there what you meant when you replied "So I did brick my 3ds?" to a post that clearly stated that you had just updated your sysnand to the last version.
yes sorry. I just misunderstood your post

mid-kid

GBAtemp spamBOT
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks for the input this may be the case. I tried playing cart games and it play everything without problems. I'll try what you suggested.. LOL i like what you said half 9.7 half 4.2.. a 3DS with 9.7 interface with a 4.2 system. I'm not considering selling but. just like what you said. its a frankenstein 3ds. it would be fun to play with it and see what can be done or maybe I can discover new things with it.

Try to launch gateway's launcher.dat with the MSET exploit and the browser exploit. If you can get in there, maybe a downgrade is worth the risk (depends on how much it matters to you)?

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
You could try if MSET works as it's till part 4.2 which might mean it's still explotable and then use GW launcher to properly downgrade to 4.x

(Might not work depends on what parts were updated to 9.7 and which weren't)

miamore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
just an update.. I regret to to tell you that it is indeed half bricked.. tried accessing internet browser to install and launch mset. but cant seem to connect over the net.. tried configuring its internet settings on the settings.. the connection test shows that it successfully connects.. but when you access the browser. it doesnt connect and it doesnt even get the Internet Icon on top to switch on.. my conclusion is.. I have a 3ds with a 9.7 interface with a hidden or missing system settings... and a 3ds with a 4.2 system settings without or hidden 4.2 interface.. might be playing with it for a while, and see what happens maybe something interesting might show up. :-)

miamore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
another update. I inserted bravely default gamecart. and from 4.2 it successfully updated to 6.2.0-9U.. but still with the 9.7 interface

Bu2d85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So let me get this straight, your sysnand is now 6.2 but you have the home menu of 9.7?

Try running the browser exploit again. You said it did not work on your frankenstein 4.2. That makes a little sense because the browser exploit was never designed to work on 4.2(I could be wrong). It may work on your 6.2 now.

As far as getting your old home menu back I'm afraid that is not really possible at this point. Even if you downgrade it will only change your system settings back to 4.x.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So let me get this straight, your sysnand is now 6.2 but you have the home menu of 9.7?

Try running the browser exploit again. You said it did not work on your frankenstein 4.2. That makes a little sense because the browser exploit was never designed to work on 4.2(I could be wrong). It may work on your 6.2 now.

As far as getting your old home menu back I'm afraid that is not really possible at this point. Even if you downgrade it will only change your system settings back to 4.x.

This probably one of the big reasons why people need to backup there sysnand and do a freakin hardmod.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte