What franchise will you never play again?

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can think of a a few that I've decided that I'll never spend my own hard-earned dollars buying if it means supporting the companies responsible for these franchises;

Silent Hill
2012 was suppose to be the year of this franchise, but it was simply a year full of trash. A barely-working, buggy, glitchy, untested (I don't care what the credits say, I'm convinced all those QA testers don't exist), ugly port of Silent Hill 2 and 3. A terrible game that was nothing more than a haunted house simulator with god-awful controls and terrible enemy design. To top it all off, a Diablo clone for Vita that plays worse than every other Diablo clone ever.

Sonic
I stopped supporting Sega with this trash when Sonic Adventure came out. I understand I'm in a minority when I say this; FUCK Sonic Adventure 1 and 2. Those games were terrible. After that, we got Sonic Heroes which was a decent concept but poorly executed. A couple of the handheld games were alright, but nothing substantial. Two terrible racing games (again, minority here. Deal with it). People praised Sonic Generations, but all it did was show me that they still don't get it. Playing as Classic was tedious and suffered from terrible level design. Modern Sonic was good if you can look past the constant trial-and-error you have to suffer through. The HUB world was retarded too.

And besides that, I've hated SEGA quite a while. They're experts at making terrible decisions.

Resident Evil
I'm ashamed to say I bought Resident Evil 6 on release. I can't believe how fast that game dropped on price. I was working at Gamestop at the time, it went down to $20 in like 2 months. And I can understand why, because it really wasn't that good. I don't expect them to make anything decent with the franchise anymore. All they want to do is release watered down RE4 knockoffs.

Pretty much anything under EA
After the Shadows of the Damned dilemma, I was happy to see one of my favorite developers not being afraid to say that he hated working for those guys. I was also happy to see Harmonix completely detach the EA leech from Rock Band back then.

But if I somehow receive the games or get it super cheap and used, might as well. As long as I'm not supporting those publishers/companies at hand.

Domine

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Call of Duty hands down. I enjoyed the earlier, non-multiplayer games. World at War was great and in my opinion if you were going to play an online Call of Duty game, I'd go with that one. MW was decent as well. But the latest ones...just complete cringe. It's just recycled content game after game. DLC is always crap. I just generally hate the franchise.

D

Deleted User

Call of Duty hands down. I enjoyed the earlier, non-multiplayer games. World at War was great and in my opinion if you were going to play an online Call of Duty game, I'd go with that one. MW was decent as well. But the latest ones...just complete cringe. It's just recycled content game after game. DLC is always crap. I just generally hate the franchise.
so true but i enjoyed mw2

and for a franchise i'll nvever play again, saints row

Reactions: Subtle Demise

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Final fantasy maybe. i wouldn't say i'd never play any of the future games. but i've definitely lost interest. started with FF11, got worse with FF13 (hate that game so much) 13-2 was quite good but not enough to change my mind. and then 14 & 15 just nailed the coffin shut for me. that and their behaviour regarding the FF7 remake. used to be a huge FF fanboy, now i just go "meh" when i hear about FF news.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Tony Hawk games. They lost their way some time after 3, though 4 was not bad by any means. Then I got the Skate series.

I would like to say I am done with Final Fantasy, despite being one of the freaks that liked 12, as it kind of lost its way after 9. The new one has me slightly curious but for the style of game it seems to want to be I probably have far better options.

New Super Mario Brothers. Very nearly capped the entire 2d and 3d mario platformer concept and is a good part of the reason I treat new Mario games like new Sonic games in thinking it is a thing that is happening. Hopefully Rayman can get me sorted.

"I understand I'm in a minority when I say this; FUCK Sonic Adventure 1 and 2. Those games were terrible."
You are not in a minority -- they were blasted at the time and it is still quite strange to me that the adventure was good vocal contingent appeared. I doubt I will ever see anything like Sonic 3/S&K again which was the peak of the series, the DS Rush game was nice enough and some of the others were not completely broken but they never felt right.

I fear I will never play another Thief game I can respect, if that is going to be the case then hopefully Dishonored can do to it what Skate did to THPS.

Others have resident evil and I fear if I had played more offshoots than Code Veronica (or 0 if that counts) then 6 would have done it in for me, however I will be following 7.

Others mentioned megaman. It was hardly a childhood staple (get me to imagine classic megaman and I will think of the GB titles) but the battle network games were a massive part of what got me into the GBA, even if they ultimately ran it into the ground there, did not mind the things they did for it on the DS either.

I have not done enough to say I have but if Tomb Raider had not got the reboot I would have continued to ignore it.

I have no desire at all to do any more Gears of War, however if it is on and a controller is put in my hand I will probably give it a spin.

Half-Life. I don't get the appeal, not as bad as I don't get the appeal of Metal Gear Solid but still not good.

Ninja Gaiden. I kind of sort of liked his trip to London but it was not a patch on the other games I played in the post NES takes.

Halo. 1 and 2 co-op was amazing, 3 I liked and ODST more than had its moments. Never had a desire to play one since.

vinipeix

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Tomb Raider

I grew up with this series and today I can't stand any of the "new" games

Crystal Dynamics trashed the aspects I liked and I lost interest completely...

And I can't say I'll play another "classic" mario game, I got tired of that style...

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
command & conquer (and red alert) series. They got bad after red alert 2 so fast it wasn't even funny.

Sim city: I admit I've never really got into one after 2000, but from what I hear the series has become, I'm not even to consider getting one.

Tony Hawk: played the hell out of 2 and 3, then lost interest. They're still great games, but it says something that playing an illegal hack of a sequel for 5 minutes and then quitting says something of the quality.

Rollercoaster tycoon is a good candidate to abandon, but I'm keeping a very critic eye on it. So far the world is in early access (and for good reason), but I'll see what happens. Still, parkitect and planet coaster seem great contenders to steal the genre (they're not done either).

Last edited by Taleweaver,

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I honestly can't really think of any game series that no matter what happens, I'd refuse to play any new installments of. As others have mentioned, 2D Mario games would probably be the only thing I can think of, simply because it's always the same thing and it's always dreadfully boring after playing for an hour or so to me.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Splinter Cell. First they ruined it by taking the stealth out of it and forcing you to play it as an action game, and then they got rid of the iconic voice of Michael Ironside for some baby-faced new guy. News flash, Ubisoft, Sam Fisher is entering his 60s. If you wanted to replace him with someone younger, why not replace the character instead, as it was established in Chaos Theory that they were training new agents as Sam's no spring chicken.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: