Hacking What External Harddrive should I buy?

Kaydoe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So my current harddrive is a old Seagate Expansion which is supposedly perfect for Wii U
but I think my harddrive is too old of a model (bought it 2010-2011) it still works fine but
when I try and save a game the drive just goes into sleep mode.

So I'm looking to buy a new external harddrive 1TB but i'd prefer a 2TB.
The most important thing is that it does not go into sleep mode every damn time I try an save a game!
Also I live in EU so no US models only!

x65943

hunger games round 29 big booba winner
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try turning off sleep mode on the wiiu
  1. Turn on your Wii U
  2. Go to Settings
  3. Go to Data Management
  4. Press and hold down on the D-Pad for about half a second
  5. While holding down down on the D-Pad, press and hold the + and - buttons and keep them pressed down until you see a prompt referring to the HDD sleep mode
  6. Select disable - you will be advised that this setting might consume more energy

Reactions: lordelan

Kaydoe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I tried this but it didn't change anything :/ as I said this harddrive is close to 7 years old so I think it's missing something newer harddrives have.
Might be the harddrive itself or the case. I dont know but all I know is the one I have now is fucked. I can't even do disk testing on it when I connect it to my computer
and run seagate disk tools. It just "fails" after a few seconds of testing and goes into sleep mode. But when I play I can play for hours no problem as long as it doesn't create a save file.

x65943

hunger games round 29 big booba winner
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you using a y cable/external power source to connect the hard drive to the wiiu?

Kaydoe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If it doesnt work.. just go and buy WD elements 1tb and behold the power and elegance of it

Are you using a y cable/external power source to connect the hard drive to the wiiu?

So I've narrowed it down to 3 Harddrives! Which do you think would give me the least problems? specifically no damn random disconnects / harddrive error.

This is one from WD that's 2TB and has it's own power source:
https://www.netonnet.se/art/dator/externlagring/harddisk3a5tum/wd-my-book-3.0-2tb-v2/196915.8913/

Then there is this 2TB one from WD Elements portable:
https://www.netonnet.se/art/dator/e...191007.8912/?gclid=CPz435bM2dECFVzPsgodoLcDtA

And last but not least there is this 3TB harddrive from Intenso Memory center (Never heard of them before):
https://www.netonnet.se/art/dator/e...3a5tum/intenso-memory-center-3tb/203658.8913/

Velocity

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I use the 2TB WD elements drive with a Y cable without issues. I actually have two of these drives and no problems at all.

Velocity

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So installing games, saving and such works without a problem?
Yep, as I said I have two, one has all my Wii U titles on it which has no problems loading/playing/saving games etc.

The other one I currently use for my GameCube collection and works great with Nintendont and USB Loader GX.

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
So I've narrowed it down to 3 Harddrives! Which do you think would give me the least problems? specifically no damn random disconnects / harddrive error.

This is one from WD that's 2TB and has it's own power source:
https://www.netonnet.se/art/dator/externlagring/harddisk3a5tum/wd-my-book-3.0-2tb-v2/196915.8913/

Then there is this 2TB one from WD Elements portable:
https://www.netonnet.se/art/dator/e...191007.8912/?gclid=CPz435bM2dECFVzPsgodoLcDtA

And last but not least there is this 3TB harddrive from Intenso Memory center (Never heard of them before):
https://www.netonnet.se/art/dator/e...3a5tum/intenso-memory-center-3tb/203658.8913/

Me and 3 of my friends can guarantee you that portable elements works like a hooker when you show them rolex.
Theres quite some people with the same drive here on temp (if I recall correctly most use it without the y cable too).
But Id use the Y to be safe and sure that the drive is getting enough power.

GBA rocks

Trophies
XP
Country
The only somewhat "new" 2TB drive of last year is the Seagate Ultraslim. (the gold/silver one with circles on it)

It's new because it uses SMR (a more compressed way to store data) so it only has 2 platters, bringing down both thickness (7mm hdd inside 9.6mm case, as in the whole thing is just 0.1mm thicker than a naked regular 9.5mm 2TB HDDs, let that sink in) and power consumption.

I wonder if it could be powered without a Y cable. (any experience with 7mm 500GB/1TB drives?)

Or if SMR could somehow royally screw up paired with WiiU formatting.

Kaydoe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just buy the damn WD for 70 bucks and be done with it? Why do you need to complicate things when they are simple

How about you read the thread before commenting? As stated above i've already ordered the WD My Book 3.0 2TB (WDBFJK0020HBK-EESN)

I just purchased a 2TB WD My Book today (WDBACW0020HBK).

Good sh*t bro! I did the same and my WD my book arrives today! I hope it works perfectly otherwise I'll just trade it in for a WD Elements :)

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
How about you read the thread before commenting? As stated above i've already ordered the WD My Book 3.0 2TB (WDBFJK0020HBK-EESN)
I was commenting post above me,not you op. I thought I put it in reply quote but somehow it didnt work apparently....

Kaydoe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was commenting post above me,not you op. I thought I put it in reply quote but somehow it didnt work apparently....

Oh my bad then! Thanks for the advice btw! I ordered the harddrive with it's own power source but if it gives me any trouble at all the first I will do is order the WD elements :D

Reactions: fatsquirrel

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"