Hardware What external hard rive should i get

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I assume you are talking about a Wii not a WiiU. I can't speak for the WiiU but on the Wii I recommend the Western Digital My Book. I have the 1TB model. Format it to FAT32 using the tool from ModMii. This drive is compatible with everything. I run USB loaders, UNEEK, triiforce, RawkSD, all emulators, homebrew and wii-linux with no issues. With Western Digital HDDs there is a tool to turn off spin-down,you'll need to do that first.

I don't know about that one in the link. Its a newer version of the series. I have setup at least 20 Wii's and it seems the more bells and whistles the HDD has the more issues.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Essential-Desktop-External/dp/B002JMYCTC <-mine

My HDD is USB 2.0 but Wii won't support 3.0 anyway. Save some money. I don't really see a need for more than a terabyte unless you are doing something extreme.

Gulsh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I assume you are talking about a Wii not a WiiU. I can't speak for the WiiU but on the Wii I recommend a Western Digital My Book Essentials. I have the 1TB model. Format it to FAT32 using the tool from ModMii. This drive is compatible with everything. I run USB loaders, UNEEK, triiforce, RawkSD, all emulators, homebrew and wii-linux with no issues. With Western Digital HDDs there is a tool to turn off spin-down,you'll need to do that first.

Yeah its the Wii i am able to settle with any 2tb hard rive from the source store only place in town i can really get them and the spindown i did research would that really be the only problem if so that's no big deal so would the 2 tb one i listed work?

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah its the Wii i am able to settle with any 2tb hard rive from the source store only place in town i can really get them and the spindown i did research would that really be the only problem if so that's no big deal so would the 2 tb one i listed work?

It SHOULD work. Wii HDD support is bad. You could try it. I know the one I pointed out is good. WD has good track record IMHO.

2TB HD is too big for a few things last I checked (UNEEK mainly) Maybe that was fixed

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol, Okies. Family graveyard is that way 👉